Mean Mr. Mustard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mean Mr. Mustard

'87 5 spd 50 HO Mustang.....so named after an '87 project 'Stang owned by Steve Collison from Cars Illustrated, SuperStock & Drag Illustrated, Muscle Mustangs and others as well as the Beatles song and the fact that it is Medium Yellow.
    It was garaged not long after my eldest Son was born. We are getting it back in the road for him to learn to drive. Gotta start 'em right!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Where's the pictures... And the burnouts..?

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

I miss my old 87 LX 5.0/T5, it was a beast.

Mine had a B&M shifter with stops, and I loved going through the gears with that. I'd install a shifter with stops, helps you not break the transmission too. Made the T5 feel solid.

Also I felt the stock HO cam was weak in the low end, didn't come alive until about 2000 rpm. I don't know how guys here run it in their heavy cars with an AOD and high axle ratio. Maybe with lower gears than the stock 2.73's it'd be ok, but I'd rather install a better cam and be able to have longer gears. My car had BBK headers and o/r H-pipe, helped but still lacked the low end torque it could've had. I wish I had kept it long enough to install GT40 heads/intake along with a cam to really wake it up.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

The HO stick is lame at low rpm. Needs gear to make one useful. Oddly enough, I got some low end torque out of mine with that SystemMax lower. The Mark VII is all the weight of a Vic with the same low stall converter and 3.27 gears. I wasn't expecting anything down low with that intake, but it definitely gave me some.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post

Mine had a B&M shifter with stops, and I loved going through the gears with that. I'd install a shifter with stops, helps you not break the transmission too. Made the T5 feel solid.

Also I felt the stock HO cam was weak in the low end, didn't come alive until about 2000 rpm. I don't know how guys here run it in their heavy cars with an AOD and high axle ratio. Maybe with lower gears than the stock 2.73's it'd be ok, but I'd rather install a better cam and be able to have longer gears. My car had BBK headers and o/r H-pipe, helped but still lacked the low end torque it could've had. I wish I had kept it long enough to install GT40 heads/intake along with a cam to really wake it up.
          Lower numerical number is a high ratio, high numerical number is a low gear ratio.
          Sounds stupid and is against logic, but it's how it works.

HO cams aren't good for power, they just give these boxes a wee bit more hustle, for cheap.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post

It has had various shifters in it, currently has a short stick Hurst. Stock H/C/I, it does have stock headers and a 65mm throttle body. It does currently have 2.73s. We are currently installing a 2.5 inch Pypes Violator catback. I think this should be copious for the current situation, AKA Im learning to drive in it
            Last edited by tom-kat; 09-05-2015, 10:10 PM.

Metal head, guitar player and all around nice guy!

Comment

Originally posted by tom-kat View Post
              it has had various shifters in it, currently has a short stick hurst. Stock h/c/i, it does have stock headers and a 65mm throttle body. It does currently have 2.73s. We are currently installing a 2.5 inch pypes violator catback. I think this should be copious for the current situation, aka im learning to drive in it
              is this jims son?

Jim, is this your offspring?

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                is this jims son?

Jim, is this your offspring?
                Yes, scary isn't it...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                  Yes, scary isn't it...
                  somewhat and very.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                    Yes, scary isn't it...
                    Let's hope he can keep up the precious care towards car tires that his father shows!

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

And you let him on here with us nutters?
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Let's hope he can keep up the precious care towards car tires that his father shows!
                        He better have some care & concern, I put brand new tires on it (the old ones were bald for some reason).
                        Last edited by mitymerc; 09-06-2015, 09:54 AM. Reason: Speeling

Comment

Should've gotten him used ones. Rookie move!
                          Last edited by Bobcat; 09-06-2015, 12:11 PM.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Should've gotten him used ones. Rookie move!
                            *laughs maniacally*

We are probably going to finish the exhaust tonight.

Metal head, guitar player and all around nice guy!

Comment

Mean Mr. Mustard, cool Beatles tune.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X