No announcement yet.

Mean Mr. Mustard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cracked ground perhaps. Not sure how the Mustangs were built, but there is a factory design defect on the Mark VII that has the ground circuit not actually complete across the whole cluster. When the ground back at the fuel level sender gives out, you lose tach, one of the dash lights, and something else over on that side of the cluster but only when the headlights are on. Later versions had the circuit foil redesigned, or you can either patch a ground wire in there yourself or re-ground the tank end of things.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Pulled all the bulbs, tweaked wire contacts as necessary, metered across all bulb holders, reinstalled, both still out. Removed all bulb holders, lightly Scotchbrited all traces & contacts on bulb holders with a small amount of contact cleaner. Metered all traces, reinstalled bulbs, metered across them traces again, reinstalled, sig indicators work, bright indicator came on, flickered, went out. Pulled bulb & found it all milky white! Rechecked holder, inserted another bulb. Now working.

I wonder if the Bright indicator takes a different bulb?

Funny thing Thain, the tach still does not work, and now the tank is reading full. IIRC there is bet 3/8 and 1/4 tank in it.

It is pouring out now. I have to have the car outside to open the door, play time is over today....

Gnd on traces?

Gnd contact @ connector?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

According to my Sylvania chart the Bright is also a 194

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I'd figure 194's

Check for power at the tach terminals. Also not impossible that its just dead. If its been a while, perhaps a gentle tap will get it going. It may have just gotten stuck.

Shorts in the fuel tank wiring will make it read high, or if that voltage regulator thing on the back of the cluster has stuck it will read high too. Its supposed to pulse on and off. A test light to the output should show that. One side is +12v in, the other side is pulsing output. Its basically a blinker stat inside, they can get stuck. I don't think that runs the tach, but I might be wrong on that.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's pretty tight back there, how would you get the probes on the terminals or connectors?

The tank was reading about what I expected when I reassembled it the 1st time.

I guess the Charlie Foxtrot (cluster) [fox] <I see what I did there>... has to come out again.

At least I didn't reassy the binnacle & trim stuff this time LOL
            Last edited by mitymerc; 07-15-2017, 12:15 PM. Reason: speeling

Comment

Marine application? A binnacle is where the compass on a ship is mounted.

Not really sure where else you might get into the output of that regulator other than right on the back of the cluster. As long as the speedo cable isn't hooked up there should be enough wire to move it around for access.

Comment

Thing.
                Attached Files

Comment

Judicious application of "Special Tool" to Fuel Tank fixed fuel gauge issue.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The Tach is a different story, after I hit it with the stick a few times it came apart....

Comment

Have continuity from connector trace to tach terminals, tach "pins" to connectors on board, power to correct terminals, (Thain, you were correct as usual. With the speedo cable disconnected & harnesses yanked through dash it is reasonably accessible.) When monitoring the tach signal with a test light, it gets brighter as the revs climb. There is no visual issue with tach board, no odors to be sniffed, needle moves freely. I think the tach is frangulated.

Comment

Happens.

Anything on the fuel gauge issue?

Comment

See post #38....

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                            The Tach is a different story, after I hit it with the stick a few times it came apart....
                            gotta luv them special dis assembly tools
                            I'm not completely oblivious to reality, I just choose to reject it when it doesn't line up with my opinions. (thanx Thain!)

Comment

Verified the tach was getting power & signal (about 6 weeks ago...), acquired a new (used) tach, works great. Reassembled the dash a couple weeks ago. It is now road ready. Had to wait for a dupe title to register it. Now it has to wait as 2 daily vehicles have to be inspected.

Comment

Washed & clayed it. still feels kind of rough.
                                A friend lent us a buffer, there must be a knack for them there things. Did it by hand. When I have some time I will revisit the buffer as we are still trying to get it smooth, maybe clay it again. Funny how dirty & dull the paint becomes after sitting untouched for 18 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X