motor mods dat wont mess with ecm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motor mods dat wont mess with ecm

90 MGM LS here my goals i have in mind wanna keep it NA car has 3.27 lsd want like 250 hp and like 320tq only have one tuner around these parts and they want 1000$ for the tuning and they have never work with this style of ford eec-iv should i upgrade to the mustang ecm with maf and with a mustang ecm for a standard tran work for the AOD buddy is selling his cheap id like to keep the efi for winter can get to -30 in these parts had to keep the ac for my wife i never use it got windows right? should i delete the p/s the hose went out when i first got it part took a week and a half to come in so we got the smaller belt still got it wasnt to bad to steer over then soming back from the gym thats a struggle buddy also gots the cobra upper intake will it bolt to my lower intake for the time being or just wait till i get a matching lower? sorry a lot of questions

For what you want to do, swapping in an 5.0 from a Cobra Mustang would probably save you lots of pain & money. It'll be more like 230 HP & 280ft-lbs but its close and the donor car would provide all you need to get that going, like the ECM, MAF & wiring looms. Doesn't sound like you'd care about losing cruise control but there are ways to keep it. As for the transmission, I don't know if there are any issues there but most likely, as it was probably all electronic. Don't see why that couldn't all swap over though. Another alternative would be to get an engine from a Mk. VII. All of that would swap in.

Cobra upper or GT40 stuff will not bolt up to stock lower. However, an HO upper from a Mark VII or 80's Mustang is a direct swap.
    Last edited by AshleyTheGreat; 09-18-2015, 09:27 PM.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

good to know thanks imma start looking for a mark VII den cuz mustang dat are more rust den metal with the L4 motor go for 1500$ all day around here or have the motor missing aready

Comment

Go straight for an explorer 5.0 and swap out the truck cam for a stock HO cam or some seriously mild aftermarket cam and you'll be at your 250/320 goal easily...you may even pass it...cobra and explorer cams are all about torque and HO motors from some 90's 5.0 tbirds had the cobra cam...they're great torque cams, but your goal is more easily reached without them.
        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Explorer motor is the best batch of factory 5.0 parts you can get for reasonable money. The only two that might be better are the 93-95 Cobra motor or the Boss 302 from the 70s and those you're just not finding.

And yeah, the cam and valve springs on the Explorer suck. Easy to fix, and you're golden. None of this stuff will work with the stock ECM though. It will need changing to at least Mark VII ECM, but more realistically you're into doing a mass air conversion and ideally a tune. It can work with the Mark VII brain and a tune, if you can find someone to do it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Will also work well with just a MAF conversion... No $1000 tune required.
            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Indeed. Mine has had no tuning done and it runs just fine, but might be better with fine-tuning. Wouldn't run worth a shit with the Mark VII brain, but that likely could have been fixed with a tune too. The mass air stuff is somewhat easier to source and more people understand it when you get to the point of needing/wanting a tune.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X