1990 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Lincoln Town Car

So I was sitting in a man's thinking room (aka bathroom), and had the idea that with the following things:
    -89 Colony Park motor torn down due to leaking timing cover
    -87 Colony Park with super wasted axle seal and needs a passenger window channel update with the vent window. as well as various window motor/door lock fixes.
    -03 town car with a soaking wet floor from the bad cowling seal
    -66 running like crap now, bad fuel filter maybe or carb needs adjustment

I have nothing to easily get to work and back. At the moment, and I wanted another toy

So I browsed Craigslist looking for a full size 90 or newer panther. Lots of turds out there in crappy shape that people are asking big money for - interiors that a cat when batshit crazy inside of, poorly cared for and they want $1500. Nope. Then I saw a 90 Town Car...$1400, 93K miles and MILE LONG background of history typed up. Nice. Read through it all, looked good to me...

So went up yesterday to look at the car in Charlotte NC, an hour and a half away.

I ask the guy to not drive it before I get there for a few hours, so engine is cold.

I check all the vital fluids under the hood, all are low. Nice...
    Has factory TV grommet EEEEEEK
    I drove the car for 15 min, seemed great.
    Got back, threw a wrapped casing of 100s on the trunk lid in the amount of $1000 and he accepted the offer - no BS, no negotiation.

It had a tranny rebuild at 75k.
    It had a front brake job recently and it had 4 brand new cooper whitewwalls.

Car Details...
    1990 Town Car Signature. Black on Black leather. 3.27 open rear end. Factory Moonroof. Ugly "alloy like" wheels. Not sure what all option packages it has otherwise. ORIGINAL RADIATOR HOSES ALL PRESENT!!!! And Radiator and Water pump!

Car needs...
    Valve cover gaskets
    Power steering pump/sensor work (wet mess around the pump).
    TV cable adjustment
    All hoses replaced due to age.
    Trans and Brake Fluid service.
    Windows all need servicing.
    Interior trim all needs cleaning, new clips/pins, etc.

It has a tight front end., and no visible rear end leaks. No ABS on this car nor passenger air bag. Has a DSO 73 from Denver, but was sold at auction in Nebraska before prior owner's Mom bought it in 94. They got car w/30k. They drove the car another 30K only in summers in FLORIDA W/PA reg (it was towed behind an RV). It was garaged at winter. Mint frame, no rot anywhere No body rot. And no keypad Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1854.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	1303162Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.JPG
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	1303170Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1861.JPG
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	1303169Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1860.JPG
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1303168Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1859.JPG
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1303167Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1858.JPG
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	1303166Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1857.JPG
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	1303165Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1856.JPG
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	1303164Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1855.JPG
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	1303163Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1863.JPG
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	1303171

I think I'm going to keep this car - it's a nice one! Enough blabber. PICS
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

More pics...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1864.JPG
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	1278281Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1865.JPG
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	1278282Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1866.JPG
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	1278283Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1867.JPG
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1278284Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1868.JPG
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	1278285
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Comment

nice. check the TV cable for plastic grommet... replace with metal clip if needed. 3G swap for anti-fire safety. Drive. Looks like a good driver. and a great score. Hope it's as solid as it looks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nice find!
        If I ever were to get an Aero I would want a Town Car, preferably a nice '90 like this one. Enjoy the awesome new ride!
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I forgot to mention - I will get it painted.

And already put a brass tv grommet on when I got home. I bought a multipack from ebay awhile back.

Ive never done 3G swap on any of my cars. Course all the harnesses are in great shape...do i really need to do a 3G swap?

After my experience with 5.0s - I have a hard time saying no to one
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

Comment

OOooo... Nice score. Black on black townie is sexy. Does it have ABS & air ride? Has digi dash so that's a plus. 1990 is the only aero panther TC I'd want, me not like that 4.6 stuff so much. Fix that passenger door light! LoL. Want to trade Ashley for her 89?

Actually, I'd trade my 88 for a 90 TC or HO equipped Mk. VII if I could. As another plus I really like how they cleaned up the engine bay, hardly any junk on the fender wells.

Yes, you do want the 3G swap. I did it to my car and I'm not even that mechanically inclined. Was pretty straight forward and now that it's done, Ashley wants to do her 89 No more slow blinkers at lights, you can run all of your accessories without further slow downs ect ect.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

That's a real nice TC!

I have always been impartial to the 1990-1994 body style.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Whether or not it still has air springs or has been converted to coils is anyone's guess, If your lucky it still has air springs.
                2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Nice car, looks like a solid find.
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

He wrote that there is no abs on the vehicle.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Its a base model, or "executive" as they up-sold it later.

Air springs would be standard, antilock brakes would have been optional in '90. Oddly enough you rarely find that black interior on anything but the base models. No idea why, I kinda dig it. Usually looks like a dead alligator by this point though. Good leather, especially black leather, is damn hard to find this many years on.

Nice score though. Known history is certainly a force to contend with. I'd much rather have miles on a clean car with maintenance records than a mess with low miles and no clue what I'm getting. I bought one of those already, and it was extremely expensive.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Its a base model, or "executive" as they up-sold it later.

Air springs would be standard, antilock brakes would have been optional in '90. Oddly enough you rarely find that black interior on anything but the base models. No idea why, I kinda dig it. Usually looks like a dead alligator by this point though. Good leather, especially black leather, is damn hard to find this many years on.

Nice score though. Known history is certainly a force to contend with. I'd much rather have miles on a clean car with maintenance records than a mess with low miles and no clue what I'm getting. I bought one of those already, and it was extremely expensive.
                        Probably because base models were sold for limos and car services. I don't think I've ever seen a 90-94 Signature with black interior.
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

This is a mid-range. Signature. 3.27 rear. This is not a base model.

It had air springs - they puked on the owner a year ago, so he put coils in. Luckily he didn't hack it, so 2 air springs are in route with o-rings for the solenoid

Yea No ABS, No Passenger airbag, No Keypad. Wish it had them, oh well.
                          -Nick M.
                          Columbia, SC

Comment

Beautiful car.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thats a Sig? Seats look like base model seats.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X