No announcement yet.

1990 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashley and I would vote cloth. Unless you like having your ass slide around or like looking at the cracks and such the cloth is always the way to go. When I first get in my car I have to adjust myself but once that's done I'm fine. Ashley's leather seats you can just slide your butt into a comfy spot whereas with my cloth seats you have to manually lift your ass up and then set it down. I still prefer the cloth.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Cloth will go home maybe Saturday or Sunday or some day this weekend - we shall see.

I found TWO 90-94 Cartiers at junkyard yesterday. Too bad the leather parts were ripped. It's a shame how neglected these cars can be when they go to the yard. Seats are generally roached or torn, rare to find nice ones.

I found some JBL systems to rob, so I will be getting all the JBL speakers to install in this 90. Also will be installing the factory Sub, and amplifiers. an early 90s indash factory cd player reman will be going in as well.

All I will be missing are speaker grilles that say JBL - both cartiers at the junkyard were missing either the logo or the whole door panel
      -Nick M.
      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Yeah that's the problem Ash is having with trying to find velour seats to replace her leather stuff. Everything is roached, sad. With box TC's it's only proper to swap out the door trim too, as velour cars got velour inserts and vice versa.

Oooo JBL stuff... I tried the one small amp used for the speakers and it blew hard for our TC's. It's got some sort of high pass filter in it but also didn't put out the power of the big fat JBL amps found in boxes. Big fat JBL box amp doesn't have output for subwoofer though. I still have that JBL amp if anyone needs/wants it. My spare big fat JBL amp isn't for sale You'll want an aftermarket deck though, you'll be blown away in the difference of soundquality. I can't find JBL inserts for my speaker grilles either. I have a set of 89 badges but they wont fit my 88 grilles. Why would Ford bother changing something like that? The more work I do on her car the more I find subtle differences that say 89 was a bastard year for them. For example, why would they bother changing the lightbulb sockets??

Comment

The amps that were used with the sub-equipped cars do have a high pass filter. Sounds like absolute shite without the sub. The older, bigger JBL amp used in box Towncars and Mark VII's is full range. If you get one thats dead, I know how to fix them too. The amp chip cooks, but there is a replacement part that can be had.

There were several goofy one-year things with Towncars. 89's had one-year front lamps and headlamp trim too. Its a unique grille and the badges are a different font. The '88 has a one-year grille too.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Junkyard seat was loaded with cig burns - pass.

Already have 4 JBL speakers from the some mid 90s cars. Those will get installed soon.

The factory moonroof leaks in the rear, esp over the passenger side rear seat. Need to open the moonroof and check for blockiges/issues in the sunroof drains. It also isnt set correctly, so i hear vortex of air. Trunk was full of water too. Yippie.

I installed the brass TV grommet - factory one was cracked. Tranny was rebuilt - no one replaced the grommet!!! Unbelievable. It needs adjustment, it shifts too early for me. Wish I knew how to make it so it won't shift into 4th until 45.

This car is confirmed to have factory keypad - saw sticker on trunk lid, and module under the dash. I robbed a LOT of harness from a 94 at the yard as well as a 94 driver door. I will be converting this car back to the factory keypad setup as well as adding in the factory remote clicker.

This car was purchased with a supposedly bad AC compressor. The clutch was baked on high and disintegrating, the coil was fried and the bearing was really tight. It took hammers and prybars to remove the bearing/pulley off. The clutch face was melted. I bought all NOS parts off eBay cheap - coil, clutch and hub. All fixed and better again. Charged air up. Compressor is so quiet! No noises and ice cold air.

It's going in to get painted at my friends house. Back to factory black and the lower gray paint. Should make it look nice again.'

Still tons to do with this car - install factory JBL audio system (found a great woofer box from a 97!) as well as fix the steering wheel, replace p/s hoses, valve cover gaskets, etc...

But it drives great. Going to get the factory snowflake alloys installed this afternoon. Pix to follow.
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              The amps that were used with the sub-equipped cars do have a high pass filter. Sounds like absolute shite without the sub. The older, bigger JBL amp used in box Towncars and Mark VII's is full range. If you get one thats dead, I know how to fix them too. The amp chip cooks, but there is a replacement part that can be had.

Sound like shit regardless lol, weak too. I wish I knew that before I threw the first one I found away. I've found a total of three in two years now.

There were several goofy one-year things with Towncars. 89's had one-year front lamps and headlamp trim too. Its a unique grille and the badges are a different font. The '88 has a one-year grille too.
              Headlamp trim? Hmm, I'll have to look at Ashley's closer. Yeah, the badges are what I don't like most about the 89's, they clash with the sweeping script of the previous years.

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
              Junkyard seat was loaded with cig burns - pass.

Already have 4 JBL speakers from the some mid 90s cars. Those will get installed soon.

The factory moonroof leaks in the rear, esp over the passenger side rear seat. Need to open the moonroof and check for blockiges/issues in the sunroof drains. It also isnt set correctly, so i hear vortex of air. Trunk was full of water too. Yippie.

I installed the brass TV grommet - factory one was cracked. Tranny was rebuilt - no one replaced the grommet!!! Unbelievable. It needs adjustment, it shifts too early for me. Wish I knew how to make it so it won't shift into 4th until 45.

This car is confirmed to have factory keypad - saw sticker on trunk lid, and module under the dash. I robbed a LOT of harness from a 94 at the yard as well as a 94 driver door. I will be converting this car back to the factory keypad setup as well as adding in the factory remote clicker.

This car was purchased with a supposedly bad AC compressor. The clutch was baked on high and disintegrating, the coil was fried and the bearing was really tight. It took hammers and prybars to remove the bearing/pulley off. The clutch face was melted. I bought all NOS parts off eBay cheap - coil, clutch and hub. All fixed and better again. Charged air up. Compressor is so quiet! No noises and ice cold air.

It's going in to get painted at my friends house. Back to factory black and the lower gray paint. Should make it look nice again.'

Still tons to do with this car - install factory JBL audio system (found a great woofer box from a 97!) as well as fix the steering wheel, replace p/s hoses, valve cover gaskets, etc...

But it drives great. Going to get the factory snowflake alloys installed this afternoon. Pix to follow.
              Yeah I don't think much about those JLB 5x7's or whatever they are. They don't have the quality feel of the big heavy 6x9's or 5.25" ones. Here's a link on how to adjust the TV cable. I set it just like the video suggests. With typical pressure on the go pedal my car will shift into 4th around 45-50mph. If I'm barely pressing on it, it will shift into 4th around 38mph. Shifting too early also means super soft which means lower line pressures so that's not good for longevity but if over adjusted it's my belief that isn't good either, despite what others say. My car originally shifted too late and firm for me. I remember riding in these things when they were still considered to be late models and so that irked me until I got it right by my definition.

Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 10-15-2015, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Look between the headlights on the 89. The square between the lamps is black in '89. All other years got a clear one. Unless someone changed hers. The trim is the same other than that little detail. I think the 89's also had the star in the back opera windows.

Pull the crimp out on the end of the TV cable, and put a zip tie between the crimp and where the plastic thing is that goes into the bushing. THat will bump the pressure and give you an idea what moving the adjuster by however wide the zip tie is will do. If its too little, try a wider tie. Too much, use a smaller one. Easier than monkeying with that stupid latch. I did that as a temporary fix on my Mark VII like 6 years ago. Its still on there.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmm, I think hers is clear so it could've been changed out. She's got that ASC full coach roof complete with opera window & light delete, two thumbs down there. The windows are still there right or did ASC gut them and tape over the holes like the did for the coach lights?

There's no more permanent fix then a temporary one

Comment

I replaced the fuel filter last night. Chinese one from 5 years ago per datestamp. Pump whines like anything still - whatever. The old filter was rattling around internally !?(WTF).

My trunk pull down quit working yesterday - no matter how much i banged on the motor and switch. I swapped some donor switches on and got it to begin half working. Banged on it again, and made it eventually work by installing the old one. Again, whatever. ADjusted the trunk bump stops too.

Replaced the overhead light assembly w/moonroof switch. Now I need a new mount in the ceiling, the tabs are fuxored.

Replaced the air suspension fuse since it was blown. Now I can install the compressor/lines/bags.

This weekend I'm going to wash the car for the first time, clean the wheels up, and fix the clogged moonroof drain. I may try to adjust the moonroof too since it is sitting too low.
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

Comment

Drove 160 miles to my parents. By 154 miles, the car had an uneasy tip in and quivering idle. Not smooth. Check engine light clicked on. So need to check code and fix. Nice. Otherwise - awesome car. received two compliments from people even with the crappy paint
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

Comment

So That incident was remedied by a new MAP sensor.

Dropped the car off at friend. He painted it. Car looks BEAUTIFUL now. Redone in same colors.

I really do love driving it.

I've never had dash lights in this car. Well - that's fixed now. Installed a junkyard light switch from a 94 Town Car Signature. Voila! Dash lights :-D Also wiped all the plastics and stuff down and fixed that.

Installed a junkyard moonroof switch/light pod. I can't get it to hold up there. Stupid design! I'll have to think on it. Moonroof works pretty ok. Still need to adjust it more up in the rear.

Installed a Power Mirror switch - well I gained Right and down control with the new switch...the old switch gave me nothing. So hunt continues for a power mirror switch that does all 4 motions. No good cars.

Oh and I need a new Wiper Motor. It puked in my car
                        -Nick M.
                        Columbia, SC

Comment

Changed the plugs. They were WORN. Car was timed for 9degrees. Now it's time for 11-12. It's a tiny bit better on power. But it's still a 5.0 so not lightning quick feeling like a 4.6 with dual exhaust.

Water pump is leaking. Yay. So time to change the ORIGINAL hoses, radiator and water pump.

Valve cover gaskets need to be changed too. A replacement rotor would be good - cap is fine.

Fixed the overhead console. So I have lifts and a monroof switch that works like factory. Also installed a new mirror mount. Put a junkyard rear view mirror on..

Installed a junkyard mirror switch- now my mirrors adjust
                          -Nick M.
                          Columbia, SC

Comment

Pics of new paint! PICS OF NEW PAINT! Please?

I want a sunroof areo sooooo bad.

Comment

I've never met a Ford 5.0 that didn't self lubricate because of bad valve cover gaskets lol. My '85 was so bad it was actually dripping on the exhaust manifold. 11-12 degrees made a good difference with timing ye say? How does it idle? We've got a road trip coming up and I'm thinking I want to get a 5.0 HO upper installed and bump timing a bit for slightly better drivability.

Comment

I will try to wash it and get pics soon. It's F'n cold here.

Ordered all new hoses (gates), thermostat with gasket (motorcraft), radiator (spectra), water pump (motorcraft), belts (gates).

turn signal switch, pcv, oil sending unit, air filter (all Motorcraft).

I'm going to get a bunch of those hose clamps like newer cars use since they do a better job of crimping the hose. Junkyard. Fuel filter was changed after I bought it. Adjusting sunroof fixed the leak inside. Adjusting the trunk metal around perimeter made it seal better so no more trunk leaks

I'm going to have a lot into this car after I finish.
                                -Nick M.
                                Columbia, SC

Comment

Working...
                                X