No announcement yet.

1990 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle is great. Runs/drives just fine. 11-12 degrees seems ok for this car - it seems happy!

Also just ordered new rotors and odd for up front as well as rear pads. Going to convert to rear disc from a pre 95. Master cylinder is bad. Brakes go to the floor currently since it's bad. Booster is bad too...
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Idles great but only drives fine or am I reading too far into that? I just need to get VCV to help me out with his fancy timing light!

How can you tell booster is bad? Does it hiss? Ashley's '89 has great brakes with great pedal feel, where as mine stops good but requires more effort. She has new pads (ceramic), calipers, rotors and bearings whereas my car got a pad slap with semi metallics.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

booster hiss or the check valve going into it is bad and it's not building enough vacuum (or holding it for that matter). I had that problem once with my 93. Brakes worked, but required some heavy foot. replaced the check valve and they worked even better.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

1990s were known for noisy creeeky sticking boosters. Bad batch. Mine did not get replaced. So I got a new one from Ford for 60 bucks to install. And yes check valve can do that. Brake bleeding can influence. Rod length from brake pedal to booster can also influence it.

The car runs at idle as well as drives great. Ndefinitely make a mark at 10 degrees on the balancer then advance it just a shade. At or under 12 so you don't get detonating. I used a mechanic chalk piece and colored in the grooves and markings and wiped off excess so I could read it.
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

Comment

So since this car is back. I decided to regasket it. I knew it had over heated once in life per the work orders for a shop. I then found out more. I have upper and lower intake off. Valve covers off. All gaskets original. Replaced the oil pan gasket. Did the timing cover. Water pump. Friend said I should take the heads off. So I did. Replaced the valve seals. And then...bad news with a straight edge. The passenger head had a 4 thousandths gap. :-( so it's at a machine shop getting the shaving done. Driver side was nearly perfect. Should be ready Monday - which is hopefully when I can plop the heads back on and begin reassembly...
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

Comment

4 thou isn't so bad... but not what you want. Though I would bet the heat that those iron heads took to warp would have destroyed some aluminum heads.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That sounds like a lot of fun with the engine still in the car! Never seen a black on black TC...
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

...Swapped heads on my '90 mustang over 15 years ago with minimal tools or knowledge. Wasn't the prettiest job in the world but once I fixed all the stuff I fucked up it ran like a bastard. Now that I'm older, I'm a tiny bit more patient and would probably do the job right, but I have less time, so i'll probably pay somebody to do it, lol. Top end going on the boat in a couple months once I get all the ducks in a row.

Comment

Long Overdue Followup...

So, it's been awhile since this was posted.

This car got all new gaskets short of a rear main.

There are no oil, coolant or power steering leaks. There is still a trans seep/leak which I'll need to address...more to come.

So I regasketed the motor, installed a new Motorcraft pump, gates hoses, Spectra radiator, Popo fan clutch, valve seals on the heads, new cylinder head gaskets, a couple of new rockers and pushrods...
                    Then a new Motorcraft power steering pump since the old one was some aftermarket turd that was leaking. Put a new power steering pressure line on.

I also had a wobbly steering wheel. I had picked up a replacement steering column at the junkyard long back so decided to quickly swap it on as well as a black leather wrapped wheel (the factory one was stolen, someone put an Executive one on). Bad news - as i'm dissassembling the ignition switch connector bolt, the plastic for the switch connector disintegrates. F*#@. Luckily advance gets one in stock and I try best to match up wiring colors to a new plastic shell. I install it and we're back in business.

After I wrapped that up I set off on a 2,220 mile journey up to Carlisle PA where I met pantera as well as gadget! That was pretty cool. My car was far from going to win, but it was cool to see pantera's ride. As well as hundreds of others. I also visited some friends in Pittsburgh, and Nashville TN too. It was a great trip. I noticed though that the exhaust was loud.

So a couple of months ago, I peeked underneath to see where the leak was...there were multiple. Both mufflers were rotted on the top, one was rotted on the bottom, the H pipe had a hole next to a muffler. 1 tail pipe was about to be a two piece and the other one had holes. So all junk. Cut it all off and put on Walker stuff with quiet flow mufflers. So much better and quieter!

The brakes had always been meh on the car. The booster made noise. But then one day during emergency braking for some dumb shit, the pedal went to the floor. So I nursed it back home and jacked it up right in August. Three nights ago I finished repairing it.

So whomever installed new calipers and pads up front before I bought it ... NEVER GREASED the boots/sliders. The booster was FULL of brake fluid, almost flowing out. So I installed new Motorcraft rotors, PFC pads front, new wheel bearings. In the rear i installed new brake shoes. ADjusted them the best I could and removed the P-brake cable that was frozen up. Someone had done brake shoes before but installed the pads the wrong way... :-| Also whomever did the brake work originally, maching the front rotors, never put the castle nut back on!!! That was comforting. The axle seals in the rear were leaking. One side was badly pitted (the axle), the other side axle had heavy blueing. So the car got new axle shafts and seals. For a 1990 Lincoln TC you must use 1992 Crown Victoria/Grand Marq rear end. Or 1992 Lincoln. The listing is very much wrong for the 90. The 90 has the newer style rear end with the sway bar bolted to the dif.

So with a new Motorcraft brake booster up front and all the other brake parts...it now stops safely. It accelerates well. Has good heat and good air conditioning. Couple use a couple of front shocks, they are kinda bouncy. The interior I have some Signature seats from 1991 model. And some power lumbar/power recliner functionality to add to those seats. With floor lighting under seats. Also have a new sunroof seal to install, JBL amp and speakers and woofer (someone replaced). After that, I just want to drive and maintain it. I have two other cars I want to work on/restore - the 66 and the 89.

And of course I'll get some pictures up soon.
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

Comment

No castle nut and the wheel didn't fall off??? Wow.

I like the '90 Town Cars... Kinda want this one:
                      http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5792858830.html
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

yeah, what? What was holding that on? I can't imagine how you'd even get that to sit anywhere near close to where it belongs without having all of the parts installed, let alone have them stay there.

You put a new master cyl and booster on there too, right?

New bearings with the axles I hope?
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nice work man. First time I seen your car today. Looks great! Where did you get the Motorcraft brake booster?
                          1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

Yes...surprising.
                            There was a 90 with 60 or 70k in fL on eBay a year or so ago. Signature with same options. Went for like 2,200$. I really do like the 5.0 v8
                            -Nick M.
                            Columbia, SC

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              yeah, what? What was holding that on? I can't imagine how you'd even get that to sit anywhere near close to where it belongs without having all of the parts installed, let alone have them stay there.

You put a new master cyl and booster on there too, right?

New bearings with the axles I hope?
                              Pure you know what luck was holding it on and the cotter pin. The nut was still
                              At the right spot when I removed it. That'll teach me to check hub nuts when I first buy a car from on.

Yes it has a new/reman Raybestos MC. Motorcraft booster too.

Oh yes new bearings axles and seals
                              In the rear.
                              -Nick M.
                              Columbia, SC

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                                Nice work man. First time I seen your car today. Looks great! Where did you get the Motorcraft brake booster?
                                It was on eBay at a Ford dealer in Florida. $60 shipped.
                                -Nick M.
                                Columbia, SC

Comment

Working...
                                X