1988 Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 Marquis

Does anyone know what size starz or torx fitting to take out the sealt belt fastener?And what it is? Starz or Torx? Thanks. Stranded in Detroit!

Motor City Patrick
    1988 MGM

Torx T50 I believe. Buy several, you're very likely to break one. If you can, get under the car and lube them from the bottom first. If they won't let go, apply heat from the bottom, being very careful not to over-heat it to the point where it starts burning the carpet.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Have to do all that? Lol. Thought i could just unscrew it from inside the car

Motor City Patrick
      1988 MGM

Comment

If the car was outside all of its life in the rust belt, Yes. The threads are exposed underneath the car through the body and as of a result they get pretty rusted in place.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What he said. If you get lucky, they unscrew. In reality, they may not. If your car has been a heavy leaker for many years they might come out clean.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Came out clean and easy. Thanks

Motor City Patrick
            1988 MGM

Comment

Great news. Ive broken torx bits on them before.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ouch!

Motor City Patrick
                1988 MGM

Comment

Is it possible to clean idle/ air control valve, without taking valve off?

Motor City Patrick
                  1988 MGM

Comment

You can try to clean the port and possibly part of the IAC from inside the throttle body but it would not be the most effective way of doing it. It is only two bolts and an electrical connector so why not pull it?? If it is that bad, I'd put a new one in (OEM if possible) since you already have it removed. Some folks have claimed success by cleaning and some have not. Kinda like putting your old underwear back on after a shower!

Comment

Clean it while it's running. The engine vacuum will suck the cleaner through the ports of the iac and the throttle body itself. Be sure to open the throttle a bit to keep the engine from stalling.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Motor City Patrick
                        1988 MGM

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          Clean it while it's running. The engine vacuum will suck the cleaner through the ports of the iac and the throttle body itself. Be sure to open the throttle a bit to keep the engine from stalling.
                          This. crack the throttle as needed... typically a blip will sort it when using short shots from the carb/tb cleaner. Also beforehand, with the car not running, take a rag/shop towel and open the throttle and with the rag hosed with cleaner, wipe out the TB some on either side of the throttle valve (flapper). this will help too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                          X