Rehabbing the Rear Air Suspension Compressor Dryer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rehabbing the Rear Air Suspension Compressor Dryer

I’m finally getting to things on my long car maintenance to-do list, and rehabbing the RAS compressor dryer is one of them. Lottsa fun. I must have mounted the compressor while the fender liner was out. I didn't realize what a b---- it would be take the damn thing out again. Here’s a bunch of photos for a show and tell and ask etc session.

The first photo shows the o-ring where the dryer attaches to the compressor assembly and also shows one of the rubber pieces I used for a cheap anti-vibration cushion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0498.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1303172

The second photo shows a curious retainer piece in the end that the air line attaches too. The white stuff under the black cross seems to be some kind of fine mesh to act as a final filter stage. The retainer piece sits in the black hole but doesn’t seem to do anything. All of the plastic seems to be one piece (or fused together), so the retainer piece seems to have no purpose unless the black cross comes out. Any idea what the retainer piece is for? Judging from the rust, I’d guess my dryer was long overdue for a rehab.

Name:	DSCI0501.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1303173

The next photo shows the metal piece and filter material holding back the beads after taking the spring out. Again, lots of rust/corrosion.

Name:	DSCI0506.jpg
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1303174

Here’s a photo of the beads still in the dryer. Based on what I’ve seen elsewhere, I would’ve figured they’d be worse.

Name:	DSCI0511.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1303175

Here’s a photo of the beads in their baking dish. (Mmmm, baked beads.) I guess the idea is to get them more white/blue. I read somewhere where they used 250F for three hours, though I think someone else said to use the lowest heat possible. My oven is doing about 170F right now. Any suggestions?

Name:	DSCI0514.jpg
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1303176

For the sake of completeness, here’s a photo of the filter at the compressor end of the dryer. Not sure what the brown spot is. You can also see the side of the other filter that was against the metal piece with the holes in it. I had to carefully peel it off of the rusty area. Hopefully I can clean it up a bit. The other side of that filter looks the same as the one still in the dryer but without the brown spot. Would it be worth going out to get some paint for the metal piece with the holes in it? or doing something else to it after cleaning it up?

Name:	DSCI0519.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1303177
    Last edited by IPreferDIY; 10-05-2015, 08:34 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

I was thinking maybe I shouldn't mess with the filter at the inlet end of the dryer, but I decided to have a look. Yuck.

Name:	DSCI0521.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1278314

The top side of the bottom metal piece is the one against the outlet. The side against the filter looks like the rusted/corroded area of the top metal piece, but worse and all over. I have some heavy duty shelf brackets that I've been meaning to paint, so I guess I'll get some paint of that color.

Does anyone know if the filter material is washable? or what could be used in its place?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

yeah that stuff gets nasty.

Not sure what the filter is exactly. I didn't wash mine, I just clapped it a few times and knocked the worst of the dust and such from it. I wasn't sure if it would fall apart if it got wet. Looks like some sort of fiber thing, almost like compacted cotton batting.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I finally got around to reinstalling my compressor/dryer. After wire brushing and spray painting the metal pieces, I was a bit concerned about having paint fumes in the system, so I just left them to dry out real good. After a couple of months, I could still smell the paint, so I left them hanging over a heat source. They seemed okay last Thursday, which was presumably going to be the last relatively mild day of the season.

The air springs held up fairly well during this time, though they clearly went down a bit. I supposed that could be at least partly due to the lower temps reducing the pressure. At least there's no significant leaks.

Here's a pick I took long ago of the beads after an initial baking:

Name:	DSCI0526.jpg
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1278590

Over many weeks, I did a lot of heating them up and leaving them to sit. Less than 200F seemed to be fine, even for long periods of time. Higher temps would probably be okay for shorter periods. The beads go white within a day if left out in the open. After getting sick of the beads taking up kitchen space, I wrapped the dish in Saran wrap after a heating and left them to sit. That seemed to help keep the moisture out. I'd be guessing they'd last about five years when the dryer is installed and in use. The current blue color was probably about the same as in the above photo. I suppose I should have taken a pic with the beads in the dryer for a better before/after comparison, but I was too concerned with sealing them up to keep any moisture out.
        Last edited by IPreferDIY; 12-26-2015, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X