Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to reduce the volume of the dash speakers without affecting the door speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to reduce the volume of the dash speakers without affecting the door speakers?

I got all the speakers in my '88 Townie but the dash speakers still piss off my ear drums. So I've had to set the fader some but that also reduces the output from the door speaks. Short of just unplugging the dash speaks could I install a resistor or something (dimmer switch???) to cut those things by maybe 5-8 decibels? EDIT: Not sure if the dash speakers are in series with the ones in the door but judging from the diagram and the lack of extra wiring at the dash speaker harnesses I'd say they are, so if a resistor would work it would still affect the door, wouldn't it?

Thanks fellas.
    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 10-07-2015, 09:42 AM.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Not exactly an answer but what I did was install filters to the dash speakers so they only get high freq signals. I had replaced them along with all the other speakers and am happy with the sound. Can't remember what speakers they are. I think it adds a nice separation to the sound.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

With these speakers though its the mid range and highs, mostly midrange that's pissing my ears off. These speakers are much better than the stock premium crap but because they fire right into the windshield and then straight at my ear drums they can be very piercing. I like my midrange and treble laid back so if I could get these to calm down without removing them that would be great. I like where they put the soundstage, otherwise I would rip them out.

Comment

Resistors would work. Try a 10 watt 8 ohm. That should cut the volume by about 3db.

The problem is a mismatch in efficiency and distance. Usually smaller speakers make more sound for a given power input, plus you're closer to them so its louder. Adding a resistor will drop the signal to them some, but it should also boost the volume to the door speakers a smidge as well since the dash won't be hogging as much of the signal.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Thain. What about if I wanted to cut the db by 5?

Comment

Assuming an 8 ohm speaker, the 8 ohm resistor would give you right close to -3db. If its a 4 ohm speaker, its closer to -6db.

A more proper way to do it is with an L-pad.
            http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-l-pads/306

just match the impedance with what your speaker is, and rate the power as appropriate.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They're actually 2.3 ohms. I went with these because the other speakers are 2 ohms (JBL Power Series) and I couldn't find the matching 4" speakers anywhere. I probably should've went with the higher dollar 4 ohm set I think.
              http://www.jbl.com/car-speakers/GX40...eakers#start=1

Those things are variable resistors? Looks like they all have knobs. Cool. Which once should I go with?

Comment

have to be careful with too low an impedance. You're at 1 ohm with a set of 2 ohm speakers in parallel. Not all amps can deal with that.

Your call on what to go with. No clue what power level you're running or available space. If you're not running them full range, the power can likely be a lot less since most of the power goes to bass notes anyway.

Comment

So it is a parallel circuit? I thought it was series.. So I uh, thought 2+2.3=4 ohms there. Amp is 2 ohm stable. It's a JBL GTO 5EZ, I'm using a low pass filter on the fronts and rear, with a sub to handle the real low gunk. It's at about 160hz up front (forget the slope) and 100 hz at the rears. My call? LoL, I'm asking for help, I have no idea what will work but I suppose I could just unplug the buggers.

Comment

parallel for the door and dash speakers.

Not sure how an 8 ohm L pad would work with a 2 ohm speaker. You might be better off with just a dumb resistor in series with the speaker. That would bump the effective impedance up and still drop signal. Maybe pick up 4 8 ohm resistors. If a single one drops it too much, parallel the 8 ohms for 4 ohms of drop and see what that does for you. 10-20 watts would probably do it.

Comment

Ok, I can do that. Thanks gadget.

Comment

Working...
                      X