New to me 351W build idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me 351W build idea?

just picked it up from a buddy who not very smart it was from his wifes 97 f250 and she blow the head gasket said she drove to work with it like that twice so he used his tractor to take it out by himself (this is why he stupid) rip off the fuel rail broke two injector where the injectors meet the fuel rail and broke off the distributor and with winter coming up i need an indoor project to enjoy not sure how or if it will fit into my 90 Marquis my uncle also got a c6 and c4 that he would sell to me for 50 each so ill pick one of those up to mate it to haven't check it the block has the famest cracks in it said it never overheated on them and they bought it new never towed or anything so im prayin hard it s still good but if it all good come summer id love to put it in my car is there any clearance issue mount need to be changed drive shaft shortin or leightin it i rather now as no one around does that so i would have to buy a custom one to size and i aready have the aluminum off my aod still in the car what ecu would you have to run i was told the motor makes 230hp which for me is a drop in power that would be fun meet my needs so my thought is while i have it tore apart put in new bearing strong crank maybe lighter pistons uncle said i should switch it to carb since he has the intake and carb in many style and cfm and he'll sell them cheap or would it be easier to just find a ecu and wiring harrness from a junk yard

wHAT INTAKE DOES HE HAVE
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

74 stock intake

Comment

two barrel

Comment

If it came out of a 1997 with EFI, why does it have a 1974 2bbl intake? You really don't want that nonsense anyway. EFI isn't that hard, and it'll be far likely to run right if you get it tuned. Trying to get a 40 year old carb to work right, especially if you don't know carbs extremely well is a fool's task. Besides, those stock intakes are not worth what the scrap yard will pay for the metal.

A stock 1997 F250 engine was rated to 210 hp and 325 ft-lb of torque. The stock motor makes 160 hp and 280 ft-lb of torque with dual exhaust. Take 10 off each for single.

Skip the C6. Its big and power hungry. Have the AOD rebuilt to handle the power. They will do it, and you'll have 4 speeds vs 3.

Also, not to be a total dickbag, but it would be much easier to read your posts if you broke the sentences up a bit.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The problem with the EFI is that the truck intakes are huge and won't fit under a stock hood. There are the marine intakes, and the lightning stuff, but you know how those are for availability and pricing... Carb is the easiest way to fit a 351 under the stock hood, but that's about it - you'll have to mess with the fuel system something fierce to make sure you don't have gasoline spraying all over, and unless you're patient and willing to learn how to tune a carb the results will never be what you expect them to be.

Also +1 on the keeping your AOD suggestion - the C6 is a power hog, it makes sense for a diesel or a big block where there is no AOD available, but for a small block it's just too much - so some of whatever power the engine swap gains you will be absorbed by the slushbox, not really a good thing to happen.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

What about finding a trashed Lightning from that era? That would fill your 351 needs and perhaps it would fit under the hood too. Those were rated at 240hp/340ftlbs where as a late 80's or early 90's 302 HO was rated around 220hp/300ftlbs but significantly cheaper.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

A lightning engine and or parts wouldn't be very easy to find the intake would be very pricey to boot.

I do have a Edelbrock 351 W Performer for sale 70.00 plus the ride
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                  The problem with the EFI is that the truck intakes are huge and won't fit under a stock hood. There are the marine intakes, and the lightning stuff, but you know how those are for availability and pricing... Carb is the easiest way to fit a 351 under the stock hood, but that's about it - you'll have to mess with the fuel system something fierce to make sure you don't have gasoline spraying all over, and unless you're patient and willing to learn how to tune a carb the results will never be what you expect them to be.

Also +1 on the keeping your AOD suggestion - the C6 is a power hog, it makes sense for a diesel or a big block where there is no AOD available, but for a small block it's just too much - so some of whatever power the engine swap gains you will be absorbed by the slushbox, not really a good thing to happen.
                  You can use a GT40 intake from an Explorer, better than any stock 351 intake, except Lightning.
                  88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                  Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                    You can use a GT40 intake from an Explorer, better than any stock 351 intake, except Lightning.
                    Yep, just cut an inch out of the center of the block and a 302 intake will fit fine on a 351.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Are you telling me that you don't cut out a center of 351's every time you build one? I thought that was standard procedure.

Comment

I prefer to mill 1.275" off the deck height. Valleys are weak enough on Windsors.

Comment

The truck intakes make lovely scrap aluminum. Useless for anything else. There are options that do fit though.

I dislike carbs in general. I think most people have figured that out. I can more or less deal with them, but I never suggest going carb for people who know nothing about them. Its a good way to make an unreliable and miserable to deal with daily driver. If you have someone that knows something about them, go for it but if the advice is to look for 1970s 2bbl intakes, I would advise finding a better teacher. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, but there are a world of better intakes out there with fresh carbs to go with them.

Also, just bear in mind, the motor is only a small piece of the puzzle. If the rear and transmission aren't going to hold up to it, its not a good idea. If the suspension is wasted, it won't ever hook up. If the frame is rotted and the car is ready to break in half, then you're just asking for trouble. Most importantly, if the wallet is empty none of this will ever work. I don't say all this stuff to be a naysayer, I can only tell you that for years I was flat-ass broke with half broken project bullshit cars that were usually working just about well enough to get me to work. I suspect this is why half my hair is gone these days. Have a reliable daily driver before you consider having a project car. Nothing sucks more than being up at 4 AM Monday morning trying to get whatever project done in time to get to work at 8 AM.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            ...Have a reliable daily driver before you consider having a project car. Nothing sucks more than being up at 4 AM Monday morning trying to get whatever project done in time to get to work at 8 AM.
                            This.

+1 on the carb advice too. For years I was intimidated by the one on my Fury but it wasn't until after getting schooled on them and dissecting a Holley that I came around. Now I don't mind carbs but would still hate one for a DD. I think chokes are for pussies but then again pussies aren't two footing their automatics when it's cold outside and they're running late.
                            Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 10-20-2015, 06:36 AM.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

EFI wouldn't be that big a deal. Professional products makes a knockoff edelbrock manifold that's available and not exorbitantly priced. EFI would totally be the way to go for driveability, tuneability, and fuel economy. As others mentioned, stick with the AOD too, unless you're dead-set on a 3-speed or your AOD is toast and you can't afford to rebuild it.

Comment

Working...
                              X