No announcement yet.

1987 mgm battery size, diagnosing and fixing no crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In ten miles, you should have noticed an improvement. Warm weather also helps.

How old are they?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I just have to say I am impressed with the engine and battery.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

32-35 PSI (whatever gets the contact patch good) and driving to get the tires warm (some highway driving) should get the tires back in round within 10-20 miles depending on how thick the radial bands are and how creased they got. They may take a few hundred miles to get the fine wrinkles out, but the majors should iron out quick.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well it's back to the start of the "no crank" from years ago. Turning the key to start causes a clunk, and apparently the electrical circuits cease, including all seven interior lights. My latest guess is an ignition switch fault.
          1987 Grand Marquis LS two door, trying to get to the 60,000 mile mark.

Comment

sounds more like a battery cable problem to me. Total loss of power when trying to start it IME has always been a bad connection, usually at the battery end but could be at the other end too.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think one mechanic replaced the cable with a 12" one, since a shorter one wasn't found, and another fellow replaced or enhanced the terminal for the relay end. Perhaps I need someone to hold the volt meter probes while I operate the ignition switch, or vice versa. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

could be the ground side too, need a complete circuit for all this to work.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

One mechanic added a wire from the negative battery clamp to the front of the body. I asked another one to check the negative cable connection to the block, but I don't think he did so.

Comment

Working...
                  X