This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by colonel328 View Post
    Are those the ones mentioned in the first post?

This is what I have :http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ight=dew+wipes

and

Metro Molded Parts INC. Passengers and Drivers Side Window Channel Weatherstripping (WC 33-96)

I am very happy with these pieces on my car. I am quite the perfectionist as well. The window channel weatherstripping takes some skill to install and make it seamless.....cutting the back side multiple times over a large span to get it around a corner while the front visible portion remains uncut.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah, I read this, great writeup! Any reason why you didn’t just cut the angles 45 degrees?
      Regards, Alex

sigpic

Comment

To be honest some of the angles are sweeping and not a hard 90. I have vent windows on my car so I have a couple extra angles to deal with.

By cutting the weatherstripping in many small cuts up in the corners it more fully seals.

Think of a slinky making a bend. It has all of those coils filling in a corner. Now take that slinky and divide it in half between two hands and make that same bend. One cut on the weatherstripping and entire corner would be absent up in the channel.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I made the angle cuts on mine but one isn't quite right. There is a small gap and it leaks air, and a bit of water if I go through a car wash. If I had to do it again I'd probably try the multi cut method. Its a bit difficult to get perfect cuts on this, it sort of mushes out of the way and throws you off.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

One can place a stiff cardboard inside of the channel to help with the cuts. The cardboard will provide support to the weatherstripping while you make your slices.
            ~David~

Comment

I measured around the window, about 62“ visible. The channel is 96“ out of the box. Does the rest go down the window slides that you don’t see unless the door panel is off? I believe I read one 96“ piece per front door.
              Regards, Alex

sigpic

Comment

Oh, just realized: when I said "felt inside, rubber outside" I didn´t mean inside/outside of the part, that was clear to me. I meant inside/outside of the window, so 1/3 of the channel sits on the outside of the window and is rubber, 2/3s sit on the inside of the window and that material is felt.
                Regards, Alex

sigpic

Comment

More goes down into the doors. Nothing is a direct fit. It all had to be made to fit.

Pretty sure when new the inside (where the window slides up and down in) was felt. The outside portion of it now looks like rubber because the weather took it’s toll on the material.
                  ~David~

Comment

Has anyone used the Fox Body weatherstripping from LMR? Allegedly it is a reproduction of the later style 1993 seals and works for all of the Fox Bodies, seems to be a decent price at $40/pair. It appears to be cut long, so they might be long enough for our applications.
                    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-20708AE-PR/...-Exact-Ford-Re

Here is the PN from LMR LRS-20708AE-PR
                    1986 Country Squire
                    1969 Mercury Cougar
                    1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Comment

Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
                      Has anyone used the Fox Body weatherstripping from LMR? Allegedly it is a reproduction of the later style 1993 seals and works for all of the Fox Bodies, seems to be a decent price at $40/pair. It appears to be cut long, so they might be long enough for our applications.

Here is the PN from LMR LRS-20708AE-PR
                      No. I haven’t. Nice find. May work well for the four door cars. Would need two kits I’d imagine.

Unsure if the length would cover the two doors.

Seems worth a try if needing it. Sucks they don’t have a molded corner for the upper parts of the door. Easy to get around it though. Just cut the back side and leave the bubble seal untouched.
                      ~David~

Comment

Nice find. Added to the top post as a possible option.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Has anyone figured out a replacement for the dew wipes on the tailgate window for Wagons? Or is it the same stuff?
                          1986 Country Squire
                          1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Just put on the weatherstrip from Late Model Restoration. PN LRS-20708AE-PR (There is a version for $10 cheaper, but quality matters on rubber parts)
                            Worked great, trimmed about 12-18" off of the length when doing the front doors! OEM quality, minor kink at the top corner but I'm sure you could fix that with a little heat. The video for installation from LMR is for a fox body, but all of the steps are the same. The only change is some of the screw locations for the trim. I didn't take the trim pieces out, just loosened them and was careful not to hit them with the mallet as I worked my way around. A bit of simple green works great to slide the weatherstrip around and clean up the 30 years of dust/dirt/pine needles/pollen.
                            This is a 1.5 Beer job per pair of doors.
                            Last edited by kellen302; 05-15-2020, 07:03 PM.
                            1986 Country Squire
                            1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Just to confirm this is the door to body weatherstripping correct?

Good to hear if so. Pics would be greatly appreciated.
                              ~David~

Comment

1.5 beers meaning you consume 1/2, dump the 1/2 that got warm, then open a fresh one after finishing? Seems to be how it works for me.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X