Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1286997

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200515_195015.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1286998

Pics are of the new seal installed and a cross sectional picture. As best I can tell, they have the same cross section as the OEM seals were when they left Canada or whatever truck plant your Panther came out of.
    That link is the same one I used, I usually put part numbers in my own notes because they can be tracked over several years of different supplier changes and revisions in case certain versions go obsolete or websites change. 1.5 Beers means you get to pound the last 1/2 when you finish. Then go for a long quarantine walk before any test drives to check for wind noise. Wind Noise was dramatically reduced, but mine were in pretty bad shape with daylight showing through.
    Note; your doors will take a good hard close with the fresh seals, particularly if you adjusted the strikers since it was new. They will ease up as the seals break in over the first few days based on my previous experience with this type of seal.
    1986 Country Squire
    1969 Mercury Cougar
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Comment

Awesome man. Looks great.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Does anyone have a source for the interior dew wipe?
        Looks like it has the chrome piece molded into it?
        I am talking to bobbyward on ebay right now about getting a set, but I think most of his stuff is for fox bodies.

Also, if anyone has a good set of wagon weatherstripping it looks like he does some high quality reproductions and can get stuff made if he has a set to start with. Mine are pretty trashed otherwise I would send them.
        1986 Country Squire
        1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Originally posted by colonel328 View Post
          I hope it´s ok to ask this question here, if not move it:

On my CP I have another moulding/weather strip (or rather the bone-dry remains) in the front doors:

This photo is tilted 90° to the left. It shows the "A-Pillar part" of the passenger door. The moulding runs from the vertical part into the horizontal part and then is broken off or maybe the seal or whatever it is just stops there.

This is NOT the door weatherstrip. It rather looks like a wind deflector or sound deadener or body-to-door seal or something to make the vehicle quieter inside. It is so dried up and brittle I can´t even tell if it´s plastic or rubber. Since it´s a Mercury it may well be that CVs don´t have it.

Does anybody know what this is and where to get replcement?
          I believe that this is for extra deflection of water and possibly wind noise reduction.

Comment

As we head into the season of perpetual rain here in the NW, I'll ask again, does anyone know of a source for the interior dew wipe with the chrome edge? I've checked a number of suppliers but they all seem to be a little too small.
            1986 Country Squire
            1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

I only know of folks using the dew wipe strips and very carefully removing the old and cracked ones and putting the new strips in place.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So it's been a minute, but I have finally installed the weatherstrip kit I got for my wagon on the passenger door. I used the 2 door inner/outer kit from automotive repops http://www.repops.com/product-search...=7&mo=88&yr=28 after finding a seller on ebay. The shipping took all summer thanks to covid logistics issues, but it is a bang on match for both inner and outer profiles, including the chrome edge.
                Being for the 2 door, I did have to cut them to length. I drilled/attached with 1/8" pop rivets easily and the outer side is holding up fine after a couple weeks of use. I have not gotten the door card reinstalled yet as I wait on a couple other projects, but it was the same profile as my old and brittle dew wipe so it should be fine.

I used 5 or 6 rivets per strip and 3M 08008 sealant/adhesive on the outer strip, but I don't think it adhered very well to the rubber. Some sort of mold release residue was causing issues. I did use my pneumatic rivet gun because hand rivetting blows chunks compared to cool air tools. I cut them to length with a normal cutoff wheel.

Both strips came pre drilled for staples, but as these were random at the factory when the cars were made, it is unlikely they will line up correctly with most cars. The outer strip came with the metal clips already installed, I removed most of them because they did not line up, not sure if this is the same issue as the staples or a 2 door/ 4 door difference.

When I asked the manufacturer last spring about making a set for the 4 doors they said they were not interested.
                1986 Country Squire
                1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Pictures!
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Name:	20211103_135118.jpg
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1289765

Name:	20211103_135146.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1289766

Name:	20211103_135215.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1289767

Name:	20211103_135244.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1289768

I kept putting it off for a while because I thought it was going to be finicky getting everything lined up nice and stationary while being drilled/riveted, but it was pretty painless. I raided the kitchen for a bunch of chip clips (didn't have any clothespins handy) to hold the strips in place while the first couple rivets went in.
                    1986 Country Squire
                    1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Not sure if this can help anyone but this company has "tons" of products. Some is vehicle specific and others are "make to fit".

https://www.steelerubber.com/
                      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                        Not sure if this can help anyone but this company has "tons" of products. Some is vehicle specific and others are "make to fit".

https://www.steelerubber.com/
                        Added to top post. Thanks. That stuff looks to be OEM design for stuff that they have for specific models.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          Added to top post. Thanks. That stuff looks to be OEM design for stuff that they have for specific models.
                          Thanks, Sly! They also have great installation videos both on their site and Youtube with very helpful hints and tricks you would go nuts trying to figure out on your own.
                          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

There's a seller on ebay-

bobbyward

I used him for door, trunk weatherstripping and belt line and dew wipes.
                            Fit perfect just like oem. Price not bad, shipped nice and fast, he's a good dude.
                            He seems to have a lot of different models of weatherstripping available. If you message him i'm sure he'll get back to you

https://www.ebay.com/usr/bobbyward

Comment

An alternative window run channel for boxes: 1980-1996 Ford F-series ( E-vans and Broncos aswell I think).
                              Installed in my four door without vent windows (could be used w/ vent windows with extra fiddling), I am unsure of tudor fitment.
                              Multiple manufacturers available, I used a Fairchild F1001.

It's closer to original compared to the Metro WC3396, as the top/front part has the wider lips on the edges which the Metro piece doesn't have. Guides the glass into place better than the Metro too. Rear upright part does not have the wider edges, but it doesn't really matter as the glass always stays in the channel. As a plus the piece has a molded 90° corner, so less fiddling necessary upon install, only needs ends cut to length. Only minor gripes are the fit of the molded corner and the upright sits kinda deep, both of which are due to the F-series doors having shallower window channels. I might put some dense foam behind the run channel in the rear upright.
                              Seems just as quiet as the Metro piece. Also it's less than a third of the price of the Metro one.

Name:	20230914_180612.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	973.9 KB
ID:	1391613

Name:	20230906_131604.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1391614
                              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Nice, added to the top post.

Comment

Working...
                                X