Fuse box removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuse box removal

Anyone know if you can take the fuse box out of the dash (dangle it for good rear access to all wires) without removing the whole dash? My 88 has some weird electrical gremlins going on and I need to get at the wires to see what's up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

It extracts through the back. I've undone them before to get at the headlight switch, but I just shoved it off to the side. Not sure if there is enough wire to get it out and down below the dashboard to really work on it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Bah. I have no horn or cruise now. I have until August to figure it out as that's when inspection time is. Gotta have the horn to pass.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

My horn keeps going too. Gotta look into the schematics to see where the problem might be, perhaps the stupid cig lighter portion.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Time for the toggle switch special.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

No power to the fuse. So something is screwed.

Comment

it doesn't go through the relay first does it ?
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

fuse first, then the relay... then the clock spring... yeah... kinda convoluted.

Comment

checked out the fuse box. All is good there. The problem is elsewhere. There's power at the fuse to the horn... but no power at the relay. Horn is connected to ground fine too (it's the last part of the circuit). May end up having to re-run the power wire from the fuse box to the relay. That will definitely suck. I wonder if there's a connector between the fuse box and the firewall. There's nothing between the firewall and the horn relay. BAH!

Comment

my horn has never worked in the '91, actually, there is no horn mounted under the hood at all, I think it kept blowing the fuse was the explanation when I got the car.
                    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Probably just going to run a new power line.

Comment

EVTM would tell you if there is a connector. It might be part of that big white connector over near the relays that feeds all the header panel lighting stuff.

Comment

Is it only your horn and cigar lighter that are dead? Looking at the '89 evtm, a fuseable link that feeds the horn fuse, also feeds other illumination (parking lights, mirrors, radio, door locks) and it is distributed in the fuse box.

Worn out fuse connector for #16? I'll assume you probed the connectors without the fuse in place for power. If none, then the fuse box may have a popped bus bar.

Alex.

Comment

just the horn and cruise. One horn works again (passenger side was ringing out at .4 ohm - basically shorted). Ran a fused 20A line from the battery to the power feed at the horn relay (cut it off from the fuse box) and I now have beep beep again... though only half as much. There is no connector between the fusebox and firewall on my 88. And from the firewall to the horn relay was a straight shot too. So I said F!@# it and just ran another line. I also figured out that my fuse box is wired differently from what my manual says. All the bus bars are good. I rang the whole thing out. It's just that one line between the fuse box and the horn relay that's shorted somewhere. Now I just need to replace the high tone horn behind the battery. Bah.

Comment

Working...
                            X