Stereo upgrade for the '91 begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stereo upgrade for the '91 begins!

I've finally made some progress, I forgot to consider how daylight savings puts a damper on my weekday fun time...!

My grand plan is to upgrade interior speakers and wire/arrange things so I can easily swap the amps and subs from one car to the other, and easily switch back to non-amplified in either one. This is largely inspired by my cheapness - it's one thing that's more powerful than my laziness. This laziness led me to do something... terrible.
    Instead of running new wire through the door wire run, I opted to incorporate the factory wire It's plenty adequate size, and there was no need for additional connectors, aside from the connector pigtails for the speaker itself. I'd rather crimp than use the plug-in adapters!
    My original plan was to snip the factory speaker wires behind the kick panel and feed them through it to the crossover attached to the other side. My disgust grew as I mocked up the crossover and prepared to drill, then I got some better ideas....
    I found enough space to mount the crossover above the under-dash trim panel, and de-pinned the speaker wires from both halves of the convenient connector right there Just as I was thinking that it was working out a little TOO well, I remembered that the dash trim for the drivers side was missing. Lucky me, work was slow and I had just enough time left of my half-day for a solid hour of junkyard time. I still need to figure out where to attach the drivers side crossover, it's a bit tighter on that side.

The trim in the the last pic is only loosely in place for the pic, not done back there yet
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 85crownHPP; 11-05-2015, 10:33 PM.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

These are an eBay score from waaaay back when that had been hibernating patiently. I'm pretty sure they were hot shit back in their day, but were already outdated when I got them.

The zip tie in the pic is a pull-saver of sorts, always a good idea. I like using nylon crimp connectors, they don't split open like plastic ones do. I know lots of people don't like crimping, but I feel like a poor crimp or over-load is to blame for most crimp related misfortune. Good quality connectors and a good crimp has served me well. Most crimpers suck balls, I use the kind you can crimp steel brake line with
    Attached Files
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yup good connectors and a good tool are keys to good crimps. It is probably overkill but I like to squeeze in a bit of silicone grease into both sides of the connector before I insert the wire. Unless I am using the heat shrink kind.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Heavy duty crimp tools and decent connectors are the only way to fly. Go cheap on either and it just falls apart. For years i wouldn't even use those things until I finally figured how to make them work. There are still a lot of soldered connections in my cars.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Solder and heat shrink are the only way to fly
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I like those speakers. Make the covers color keyed to the interior ?

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                Solder and heat shrink are the only way to fly
                This is how I roll too. I use the cheap stuff, but the solder the hell out of it. My stuff doesn't come apart. I does however come through the shrink rap on the rare occasion, but a few wraps of tape fix that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I used to solder everything but once I picked up crimping plus adhesive lined shrink tube, I said F dat noise. Takes about 1/3 of the time and you don't have to worry about solder burns or any of that crap. Never again, except of course with eyelet connectors and stuff where I'm joining multiple leads into one eyelet. Oh, if the speakers were hot shit and sounded great back in the day, they'll still kick just as much ass so long as the cross over networks with their electrical bits haven't shit the bed. Newer isn't better nor will it sound better. I like to show people how great the Ford JBL shit is from the box town car era. I laughed so hard at a salesman who tried to get me to buy some $1,200 Focal speakers. F dat, who the F is Focal anyway? Stuff sounded tinny & flat compared to my JBL's. Anyway, speakers be speakers, unless you go back to the 50's. By the 70's & 80's I'm confident they reached their peak, just like with turn tables. Sure sure you can spend 30K plus on B&W's but old stuff will fit the bill nicely too, why the shit is collectible.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Good connectors and a Thomas and Betts crimper has never let me down.

You could always pick up the wiring for the front speakers directly behind the head unit and stash a crossover back there if needed.

B&W speakers are awesome. I have them in my primary home theater system. They weren't even close to 30k.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Their upper end stuff can exceed 30k, I believe JBL Everests are over 35k. Low teir/entry level stuff is much more obtainable. All B&W stuff used to be built in England but they've moved their entry level stuff to China along with JBL who made their garbage in California then Mexico before caving to the fatter margins cheap labor and lax industry standards China has to offer.
                      Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 11-06-2015, 11:00 AM.

Comment

My B&Ws are over 10 years old and I'm 90% sure they were made in England. Yes, the top of the line Nautilus series can exceed new car prices.
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I like my musics and stuffs... but my wallet tells me to piss off when I think about stuff more expensive than Pioneer and Kenwood.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            I like my musics and stuffs... but my wallet tells me to piss off when I think about stuff more expensive than Pioneer and Kenwood.
                            LoL, hence my poverty JBL Northridge set-up. An upgrade to me would be their Studio series with L890's and the rest of the series. A pipe dream would be an entire JBL LS set up.

Comment

Becomes an issue of "buying for name value" or "hearing the difference". Most "quality" consumer parts will serve well unless you are blessed /cursed with relative or perfect pitch! Can most people REALLY hear the difference or just think they do??

Comment

Working...
                              X