PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stereo upgrade for the '91 begins!

Lol never thought of tubes in a car before. Everyone says the environment is junk and I don't disagree but there's just something about having tunes in the car that is a must have for me. $200 or less for each pair of speakers, $350 for amp or less, $350 for sub and then the change for wiring for a decent aftermarket set up. I'd invite anyone to come listen to my setup, very closely mimics home except I'm offset to the left. Us box people that have premium sound from the late 80's can upgrade just the amp to JBL (as long as you don't have silver football thing) and notice a big difference with that alone. Convert all the speakers over and its night and day. Run an aftermarket deck into JBL amp using speaker lvl inputs and that's pretty much all you need for decent tunage. Can do all that for under $75 if you pull all of the stuff from yards. Ashley's set up is exactly that, with POS $75 Pioneer radio. JBL amp hasn't shit the bed and its been almost two years.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Don't get me wrong, I don't run stock stuff in mine either. I like it to sound good, but there is a level beyond which it just doesn't make sense. I'm not spending thousands of dollars to put a stereo in my car when I can be perfectly happy for well under 500 bucks. The Mark VII is stock JBL stuff with a free crappy Sony head unit after the stock one died for the too manyth time. Sounds great, and I've had no motivation to mess with it. I'm using the line level out into the stock amp, works perfectly.

Also consider that part of my internet time exists on forums where there are arguments about $400 speaker cables, whether or not wires need to be elevated off the floor, expensive power cords, and other such high priced hocus-pocus. I occasionally forget that some people are more practical.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I love watching your projects as there's a slim amount of them, but they're usually in order to make laziness easier.

Good work!

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT98t View Post
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Mine sounds decent (the highs could be crisper... but meh) and the mids and lows are epic. The subs will rattle your brain in the below 100 Hz range (especially around 40-50Hz). I like it and that's good enough for me. This setup you've got should (in theory of what I understand about it all) sound a lot cleaner than mine, but won't be as powerful on the head rattling. It's all good. Even the stock stuff is good when it works... our aftermarket upgrades are just better. Though I do agree with Thain... there is a level at which you just save the money for the home tunes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

My only problem with aftermarket radios is that 99% of the time they look like complete ass.

There is that.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    My only problem with aftermarket radios is that 99% of the time they look like complete ass.
    Which is why I'm keeping my current ones until they die beyond repair. They're rather subdued compared to current offerings. And I prefer that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

Thain has the right idea about the cost thing and Pantera does with aftermarket radios looking like ass. I want to demo the the premium radio from pre 88 because it looks so elegant but it probably sounds like junk like the later ones. This Sony I have isn't too obnoxious but I still hate it. Compromise for SQ I suppose.

There is an 86-87 JBL one that plugs straight into the later system but operates like the older one. The regular one will only interface with a football amp rig. The JBL one is a grey faceplate with the orange JBL logo in the corner, the other is black.

Most of my beef with stock units is lack of an input. I don't use tapes, and CDs I don't care about but I need some means to feed the ipod in. I don't like those tape adapters either, they don't sound all that great. Some of the later 80s paddle types were meant to control a CD changer, and those you can easily modify for line input. I don't think the 86-87 JBL one will, and I know the stock CD player one requires a fair bit of surgery to make it go. The CD changer one has a couple of jumpers in the un-used plug on the back. There are 4 useful pins, left out, left in, right out, right in. For normal operation you connect out to in and off you go. For aux input, break that and feed your external device to the input pins. Piece of piss to do with a simple stereo headphone jack that has the internal switch setup in it. Mount that and all you have to do is plug the thing in. None of this does me any good on the Towncar because it doesn't have any compatible wiring. I could on the Mark VII, and I might consider it but those radios are 20+ years old and dying now. I've already been down this path with one that ultimately died, and I've not much interest in doing it again. I had one rebuilt, I could do one myself but its a real fucker of a job to tear those things apart and completely rebuild one. I know why the guy gets the price of a new aftermarket stereo for the job, it sucks.

I post a lot...

My sterio set up is an Alpine Head unit and Amp and 4 Polk speakers due to the stock system sounded like crap drove me nuts untill I spent good money on a new system to please my sensative ears.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    There is an 86-87 JBL one that plugs straight into the later system but operates like the older one. The regular one will only interface with a football amp rig. The JBL one is a grey faceplate with the orange JBL logo in the corner, the other is black.
    Cool, so it will work then. That be the radio I'm talkin about and I've been after one of those for years now but I've only seen two and they were roached. They've got such a good feel about them, nice knobs and I like the display better. I've seen guys modify Delco radios from ~88-95 to accept the line in inputs (headphone 3.5mm jack thing) and my guess is it just defeats the tape circuit, much like how you say the CD player defeats the radio circuit. The factory CD player we pulled has another auxiliary plug going in above where the speaker outputs are, so like you said I'm thinking a dude could modify that to work with an Ipod and potentially even charge it using the piggyback harness Ford used to power the CD player.

yeah, thats the plug. Its a dead simple modification if you ever see one that came without the changer. It has 2 jumpers in there, just like you find inside computers. Likely the pinout is in the EVTM. All you really need is a donor connector to make use of it, and a 3.5mm socket with internal switching. Those are dead common, most headphone jacks in things are that style. Beyond that its just a case of running the proper wire, it would need to be 4 shielded wires, two out and two in. Not sure if it has power in that plug though, I suspect its just control lines.

not embarrassed on a scooter 85crownHPP's Avatar

I'm definitely a big fan of budget stereo parts, everything new that went into the 85 is mid-grade at best, the subs and amps are a little better. The subs are decent used Cerwin Vegas 10's I got for 50 bucks in a terrible enclosure, I think that's why they went cheap. The amps are all matching used 2-gen old Alpine, 200w 4ch and a 200w mono for each sub. Got those for 50-75 bucks each too, and they sound incredible!
    Both head units are $100 whatevers, when you use amps the HU is only an audio source selector and equalizer anyway.

I got a tad more done, installed the driver's tweeter and did some more discovering. it looks like the best place to get at the LF wires is back at the same connector on the right side, especially if i want to avoid unnecessary crimps. Thats the last connector those wires see according to my EVTM, and I'd have to do a loooooot more digging to find the wires to tap into on the driver's side, especially to run new wire to the door.
    Space is really cramped around the under-dash trim too, so for lack of a better place, the left crossover will be mounted to the underside of the glovebox I mocked it up, there is plenty of room, and there will be plenty of slack in the wires to avoid kinks when the glovebox is opened.

Next will be running power/speaker wires for the amps and slightly re-engineering the amp rack for more convenient removability. THEN I will finally be able to pump up the jams.
    Until the factory 6x9's blow... I'm thinking about stealing those out of the 85 too... since I could use just the straps and still leave those easy enough to swap out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I love watching your projects as there's a slim amount of them, but they're usually in order to make laziness easier.
    I do like to think my laziness sometimes leads to something slick or even innovative Luckily it's only come back to haunt me on a couple minor things.

Quote Originally Posted by 85crownHPP View Post
    I'm definitely a big fan of budget stereo parts..
    Try the yards for potential JBL scores! Be sure to check the midrange woofer on the JBL 6x9's as some of them had foam surrounds which have probably disintegrated by now. If that's the case just unplug them, won't really notice unless you're back there, if you are you're probably not going to be worried about the music LoL. They run around 6 ohms or higher, so I bet they can handle some juice.

What's the story with that red & silver '87-'91 F-150 in your sig???

The mids often die on those. I had one in the Mark VII rattling in an annoying way. I fixed it with a utility knife. Tweeter and woofer are fine, just it has a slight "hole" in the midrange in the back. I don't sit back there, so I can't really tell.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post

Yeessssssssssss!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Try the yards for potential JBL scores!

What's the story with that red & silver '87-'91 F-150 in your sig???
    Dang! I was just there... I hadn't even considered that yet. I'm sure I could at least find some newer premium sound cars and use adapters, aren't they all usually one size smaller than 6x9?

The F-150 is my haul-stuff beater - '87/5.0/C6. She idles a little rough due to a low compression #1, but I keep her mostly proper, and put the newer wheels on. "ClifFord" in my sig is a link to its RR thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    The mids often die on those. I had one in the Mark VII rattling in an annoying way. I fixed it with a utility knife. Tweeter and woofer are fine, just it has a slight "hole" in the midrange in the back. I don't sit back there, so I can't really tell.
    "Fixed it with a utility knife," lol. I scored two sets of those Mark VII specific JBL 6x9's before I realized they were Mark VII specific. Since I don't have a Mark VII they're just sitting on the shelf...

Quote Originally Posted by 85crownHPP View Post
    Dang! I was just there... I hadn't even considered that yet. I'm sure I could at least find some newer premium sound cars and use adapters, aren't they all usually one size smaller than 6x9?

The F-150 is my haul-stuff beater - '87/5.0/C6. She idles a little rough due to a low compression #1, but I keep her mostly proper, and put the newer wheels on. "ClifFord" in my sig is a link to its RR thread.
    The premium speakers sound OK (if you want those we've got like two sets, one with the 88 n older style harness, the other with 89+) but if what you have works you might as well wait until you scare up some JBL's. Huge difference. Really nice low & mid bass along with fairly smooth high range. Superior to most aftermarket junk unless you want to spend hundreds or more. If you're thinking of scoring aero JBL stuff our cars have that rubber band job so not sure you could find a plate to help the smaller 5x7 speakers seat against the package tray. Those don't look to be as high quality as the box stuff and judging from the amp used to power them (which has a high pass filter incorporated into it) you're not going to get much in the way of mid or low bass from them, they need a sub for anything below 500hz or so.

I commented in the thread about that compression issue, maybe it's worth a shot! Ash and I love '87-91 F series turds.

They're basically the same as the Towncar ones, just the angle of the bit on top where the mid and tweeter are is slightly different. You'd probably never notice the difference between those and Towncar ones. The Mark VII JBL amp is very slightly different in terms of frequency response too, but again I doubt you'd really notice unless you did an A/B and really focused on it.

Wait, so premium sound isn't the factory JBL source??? How can I ID a JBL donor?
    I might make another JY run Saturday if I'm motivated enough... Is it safe to say most 80's Fords would have 6x9s and most 90's don't? My laziness wants to know.

I wish I had known the tap-the-valve trick when I had the valve covers off!! Can't you spooge a little heavy oil in through the spark plug hole to indicate worn rings? (if compression comes up). I've been assuming that, but if this will tell otherwise I might have to pull those VC's off again...!
    Would solvent-type oil additive trickle backwards through a lifter if I tried to force some through a pushrod? lol.... Maybe if I tried to jam it down, like bench bleeding a brake master cylinder? If it's even possible to compress a lifter by hand.... my databanks dry up quick once you get to heads and rotating bits.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast