Stereo upgrade for the '91 begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    There is an 86-87 JBL one that plugs straight into the later system but operates like the older one. The regular one will only interface with a football amp rig. The JBL one is a grey faceplate with the orange JBL logo in the corner, the other is black.
    Cool, so it will work then. That be the radio I'm talkin about and I've been after one of those for years now but I've only seen two and they were roached. They've got such a good feel about them, nice knobs and I like the display better. I've seen guys modify Delco radios from ~88-95 to accept the line in inputs (headphone 3.5mm jack thing) and my guess is it just defeats the tape circuit, much like how you say the CD player defeats the radio circuit. The factory CD player we pulled has another auxiliary plug going in above where the speaker outputs are, so like you said I'm thinking a dude could modify that to work with an Ipod and potentially even charge it using the piggyback harness Ford used to power the CD player.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

yeah, thats the plug. Its a dead simple modification if you ever see one that came without the changer. It has 2 jumpers in there, just like you find inside computers. Likely the pinout is in the EVTM. All you really need is a donor connector to make use of it, and a 3.5mm socket with internal switching. Those are dead common, most headphone jacks in things are that style. Beyond that its just a case of running the proper wire, it would need to be 4 shielded wires, two out and two in. Not sure if it has power in that plug though, I suspect its just control lines.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm definitely a big fan of budget stereo parts, everything new that went into the 85 is mid-grade at best, the subs and amps are a little better. The subs are decent used Cerwin Vegas 10's I got for 50 bucks in a terrible enclosure, I think that's why they went cheap. The amps are all matching used 2-gen old Alpine, 200w 4ch and a 200w mono for each sub. Got those for 50-75 bucks each too, and they sound incredible!
        Both head units are $100 whatevers, when you use amps the HU is only an audio source selector and equalizer anyway.

I got a tad more done, installed the driver's tweeter and did some more discovering. it looks like the best place to get at the LF wires is back at the same connector on the right side, especially if i want to avoid unnecessary crimps. Thats the last connector those wires see according to my EVTM, and I'd have to do a loooooot more digging to find the wires to tap into on the driver's side, especially to run new wire to the door.
        Space is really cramped around the under-dash trim too, so for lack of a better place, the left crossover will be mounted to the underside of the glovebox I mocked it up, there is plenty of room, and there will be plenty of slack in the wires to avoid kinks when the glovebox is opened.

Next will be running power/speaker wires for the amps and slightly re-engineering the amp rack for more convenient removability. THEN I will finally be able to pump up the jams.
        Until the factory 6x9's blow... I'm thinking about stealing those out of the 85 too... since I could use just the straps and still leave those easy enough to swap out.

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
        I love watching your projects as there's a slim amount of them, but they're usually in order to make laziness easier.
        I do like to think my laziness sometimes leads to something slick or even innovative Luckily it's only come back to haunt me on a couple minor things.
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
            I'm definitely a big fan of budget stereo parts..
            Try the yards for potential JBL scores! Be sure to check the midrange woofer on the JBL 6x9's as some of them had foam surrounds which have probably disintegrated by now. If that's the case just unplug them, won't really notice unless you're back there, if you are you're probably not going to be worried about the music LoL. They run around 6 ohms or higher, so I bet they can handle some juice.

What's the story with that red & silver '87-'91 F-150 in your sig???

Comment

The mids often die on those. I had one in the Mark VII rattling in an annoying way. I fixed it with a utility knife. Tweeter and woofer are fine, just it has a slight "hole" in the midrange in the back. I don't sit back there, so I can't really tell.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post

Yeessssssssssss!!!!

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                Try the yards for potential JBL scores!

What's the story with that red & silver '87-'91 F-150 in your sig???
                Dang! I was just there... I hadn't even considered that yet. I'm sure I could at least find some newer premium sound cars and use adapters, aren't they all usually one size smaller than 6x9?

The F-150 is my haul-stuff beater - '87/5.0/C6. She idles a little rough due to a low compression #1, but I keep her mostly proper, and put the newer wheels on. "ClifFord" in my sig is a link to its RR thread.
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  The mids often die on those. I had one in the Mark VII rattling in an annoying way. I fixed it with a utility knife. Tweeter and woofer are fine, just it has a slight "hole" in the midrange in the back. I don't sit back there, so I can't really tell.
                  "Fixed it with a utility knife," lol. I scored two sets of those Mark VII specific JBL 6x9's before I realized they were Mark VII specific. Since I don't have a Mark VII they're just sitting on the shelf...

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                  Dang! I was just there... I hadn't even considered that yet. I'm sure I could at least find some newer premium sound cars and use adapters, aren't they all usually one size smaller than 6x9?

The F-150 is my haul-stuff beater - '87/5.0/C6. She idles a little rough due to a low compression #1, but I keep her mostly proper, and put the newer wheels on. "ClifFord" in my sig is a link to its RR thread.
                  The premium speakers sound OK (if you want those we've got like two sets, one with the 88 n older style harness, the other with 89+) but if what you have works you might as well wait until you scare up some JBL's. Huge difference. Really nice low & mid bass along with fairly smooth high range. Superior to most aftermarket junk unless you want to spend hundreds or more. If you're thinking of scoring aero JBL stuff our cars have that rubber band job so not sure you could find a plate to help the smaller 5x7 speakers seat against the package tray. Those don't look to be as high quality as the box stuff and judging from the amp used to power them (which has a high pass filter incorporated into it) you're not going to get much in the way of mid or low bass from them, they need a sub for anything below 500hz or so.

I commented in the thread about that compression issue, maybe it's worth a shot! Ash and I love '87-91 F series turds.

Comment

They're basically the same as the Towncar ones, just the angle of the bit on top where the mid and tweeter are is slightly different. You'd probably never notice the difference between those and Towncar ones. The Mark VII JBL amp is very slightly different in terms of frequency response too, but again I doubt you'd really notice unless you did an A/B and really focused on it.

Comment

Wait, so premium sound isn't the factory JBL source??? How can I ID a JBL donor?
                      I might make another JY run Saturday if I'm motivated enough... Is it safe to say most 80's Fords would have 6x9s and most 90's don't? My laziness wants to know.

I wish I had known the tap-the-valve trick when I had the valve covers off!! Can't you spooge a little heavy oil in through the spark plug hole to indicate worn rings? (if compression comes up). I've been assuming that, but if this will tell otherwise I might have to pull those VC's off again...!
                      Would solvent-type oil additive trickle backwards through a lifter if I tried to force some through a pushrod? lol.... Maybe if I tried to jam it down, like bench bleeding a brake master cylinder? If it's even possible to compress a lifter by hand.... my databanks dry up quick once you get to heads and rotating bits.
                      sigpic

Comment

On mah phonic so plz forgive non quoting and grammatically incorrect junk...

Gadget, I didn't think the difference would matter but JBL 6x9's from a VII will not fit in a Town Car, that small angle is causes the speaker to hit the grille...

85, i'm not really schooled with 90's stuff but the JBL stuff I looked into from that vintage were all 5x7's and what not, not to mention cheaper looking. The harnesses were similar though- they'd fit Ashley's 89 box TC but not my 88 TC, well the speakers anyway, the amps would also fit And i tried them with bad results. You can I'D JBL town cars (fords n mervs never got JBL from factory) by the rear speaker grilles which will have a JBL badge on them instead of the Premium badge and also by looking in the trunk. To the right of the spare just behind the speaker is where the big fat finned JBL monster lives. Plug n play with puny premium amp. If none of those thongs are there, pass it up. Mark VIIs have similar equipment with differences noted by gadget but they lack the TC specific dash speskers and they have two way woofers in the doors. Cougars and maybe Thunderturds could have been optioned with JBL stuff but i have yet to see one.

Yes, the oil trick will help indicate a compression problem with the rings but I don't know which oil he used... Search ElderlyIron 389 or This old truck 389, five videos and all but he ended up going from 60ish psi to above 160 on affected cylinders. Worth a skim to find good parts, I watched them all because they were entertaining. If I can remember I'll post relevant clips later..

Comment

I decided to buy myself an Xmas present and spent some money on a Jensen 4ch amp and RF 2way 6x9's, both on sale at Crutchfield online

Power and RCA's are run, I didn't pull the rear seat and still satisfied my wire-run standards! 90-91 interiors are very run-fat-wire-with-a-coathanger friendly back there

Laziness again produced something that made me feel greasy - I will be using the factory wires for the rear speakers to deliver sound from the amp to the front...
                          This means essentially all I have to do is swap a couple more pins out right at the crossovers, since the wiring for the rear is right there in the same connector I gutted for the front wiring :banana:
                          To top it off, the free speaker wire adapters *would* almost make it a snap, but that would cross the line for me, lol

Soon the new bits will show up, and jams will be pumped up
                          Last edited by 85crownHPP; 01-05-2016, 09:39 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

What, no sublaffah?

Comment

I'm using factory wires from the amp up to the front to feed my front speakers. You're not shoving huge power through them, so the gauge is sufficient. Makes it a little cleaner too if you don't have to fish fat wires through the doors and all that.

Comment

That's what I was figuring, it's thicker than the wire the speakers come with!

Cheapness kept me from buying anything more, but I do plan to get an amp for the subs and just share woofers between the two cars. My original idea of sharing amps too sounds pretty dumb now, lol...
                                Goodies came today, a Jensen 75wx4 amp and Rockford Fosgate 6x9's - $120 shipped. score!
                                I've been impressed with how the front speakers sound with just the head unit, I can't wait to fill them with powaaahhhh
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X