1997 crown vic 4 valve swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 crown vic 4 valve swap

Ok I have a 1997 crown victoria. From my research I believe a romeo NPI 4.6 and 4r70w. What I'm wanting to do is do a turbo build but I'm wanting to use 4v heads and a forged lower end (basically upgraded cobra motor with twins) but what do I need to know wiring or physically fitting it in wise? Will it just swap in and load a tune and go (obviously not that easy but still) and what's the possibility of a built 4r70w living with a lead foot in a combo like this putting down close to 600 ft/lbs of tourque (goal)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and I know exhaust is different but I didn't include it because of turbos

Comment

The stock trans will die the first WOT if not built up. They can handle about 400HP/TQ without much trouble, but 600 will destroy them. You will need to build that up. A 4V motor will fit with almost no room to spare between the brake booster and the heater plenum. IE: use permadry gaskets on the valve covers as you will not be able to remove the covers once the engine is in without removing the brake booster and air plenum (probably have to remove that anyhow to get the motor in). Wiring shouldn't be an issue as long as you re-use the general panther accessory setup (driver side intake). You may need to extend some wires here and there, but it shouldn't be bad. You're already OBD-II so you should be able to re-wire for a coil on plug setup if you decide to go that route. Depends on which timing cover you get. Obviously, the current one won't work. There will be fab needed for the exhaust obviously... though Marauder stuff should work as a base to build off of. You will also want to do the 98-02 big brakes and 16 inch or larger wheels (the 15 inch wheels won't clear the brakes) to help reel in the power. You will also need to get a stronger drive shaft and beef up the rear axle. Minimum, put a girdle on the rear axle. May require welded tubes and 31 spline upgrade. Also, poly suspension bushings and stronger rear control arms would help as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I realize I needed a built transmission and rearend and etc but that's all supporting mods and is going to have to be done wether or not I stay 2 valve, 3 valve, or 4 valve haha

Comment

Bottom end WON'T handle anything over 400. I say you turbo a PI 2v. They're a lot cheaper than constantly swapping engine blocks. 3vs are garbage, 4v is going to involve a good bit of wiring changing and then 600$+ on tuning. Many people think it's just bolt on and go, but this aint a SBF we're talking about.

Oh and building a good 2v will just about cost you 5-8 grand.

I don't feel the need to refinance a house, for a panther.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

My 1996 has the 16" rims from the factory do the 98 to 02 have bigger brakes than my 96 with the 16" rims 4 wheel disk and duel exhaust option?

Comment

Yes. Big brakes are 98-02

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Wait
                OP are you trying to put 4v heads on a 2v bottom end?

Are you planning on using the '97 Computer?

Comment

A 1996 with 16'' wheels and dual exhaust probably has the HPP package. But the brakes are no bigger than any other 92-97.
                  The 98-02 brakes would be a upgrade for these cars.

Comment

NA 4.6 with ported heads and cams can make 400HP+ NA. DSS can set you up with a basic forged rod and piston short block for ~$3K. Throw a turbo on that with a good intake and a good exhaust system and you are in business.

Comment

Working...
                    X