PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power seat controll swap - into Town Car seats

not embarrassed on a scooter 85crownHPP's Avatar

Default Power seat controll swap - into Town Car seats

How to turn a door panel controlled power seat into a seat controlled power seat

step 1 : score town car seats

step 2 : install seat mount swtich bracket (to be continued...)

1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

I found some nice red leather seats in a TC, at Harry's in Hazleton.
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

http://grandmarq.net/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=39&dateline=125548186  3 :rebel:

this bracket was riveted in the seat frame originally, but I put it on the town car frame with a nut & bolt in one hole and a zip tie in the other(clearance reasons).
    I also cut out a chunk of foam that looked in the way of the wire harness connector.

Looks like the towncar seat recline lever is closer to the front than in my style seat... they overlap a little but they clear.

Installation pending dry weekend daytime

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Good deal. You pull those switches out of your Vic seats or did you have them laying around already?

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I pulled the bracket and switch from a vic and the yard, so I wouldnt be without mine while I play plus - if my current seats find a new home, the switch will go with them
    Im 95% sure that type are all the same

Probably right. I don't see why they would change around a whole bunch. If you want to get fancy, you could drop in a passenger side motor and make them both shagadelic power. Yeah baby!

I want pics of those seats installed. They're purdy.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Archangel

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    If you want to get fancy, you could drop in a passenger side motor and make them both shagadelic power. Yeah baby!
    Pete, you MUST deffinitely do that - a car with one power seat only is kinda crippled. That's how my Townie came, tool care of it in less than an hour with less than $15 of junkyard parts. I also gave the seat-track fronts a 2" lift (17x2x2" bars + longer bolts), so now at base angle (no front or rear tilt) the seats are like the lazyboy recliners in front of the TV at home

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan D
    Pete, you MUST definitely do that.. took care of it in less than an hour with less than $15 of junkyard parts.
    what donor parts did you use? Will only a passenger seat control style track work? or will a driver side work on the right?
    I dont know if my local yard will have boxes with side controlled seats anyway... they were crushing things last time I was there.

Oh, and if I raise the seats any I think id hit my head on the headliner. Thats a good idea though, I bet they feel like captains chains in a van

Archangel

I used the motorizd tracks assembly and the door switches assembly from a Signature Series TC, don't know if a driver's side track will work, but for your side mounted controls I bet you can use a river's side assembly, the plugs on my TC looked exactly the same for left and right. BUT, does your car have the harness for the passanger power seat? In mine wiring was already there (so it was just plug and play), but that's cause SS and Cartier Townies have factory dual power seats, is it the same with the CVs and the GMs?

I dont know if mine is wired for power under the passenger seat - but I recon that could be remedied
    It definitely doesn't have any wiring for any switches, which makes finding the seat mount donor so crucial.

I think the passenger and driver seat motors are the same. Least they're really similar looking.

Got them all installed today, and they are great!
    As far as I can see, the left and right seat tracks look symmetrical and interchangeable.

The seat control setup is completely stand alone, and as seen here (using crown vic/grand marq tracks and switches) only needs power and ground to operate.
    I still don't know if the towncar tracks/motors will plug into this type of seat control switch, but I hope to find out soon.

installed pics are in my readers rides thread

Archangel

The big brown plug looks exactly like the ones on my TC. I have the smaller grey plug too, it is for a pair of lights that bolt under the seat's metal frame - you can get those from a TC too, look for a Signature Series or a Cartier donor.

Actually that loose gray plug is for the power and ground - its the only connector joining the motors to the wires under the seat.
    In the towncars, only that big brown plug is there and loose becuase that goes to the switch in the door panel.
    These seats do have the lights under them, I grabbed the sockets and wire harness while I was at the yard too. I just didn't install them becuase I was hurrying in the cold and setting sun, so I didn't feel like running the wires.. Plus I dont have enough LED bulbs to fill them yet
    I'll probably do that once I find another seat control switch/harness and a power track to do the passenger side. If I had only pulled that seat switch harness from my experiment donor too, Id only need a power track, and those are easy to find :cuss:

UPDATE:

Some progress today - I decided to go ahead and pursue making the passenger side power as well. it must be done!

I pulled a driver side seat track (look like it will fit/work ok so far) and another seat mount controller along with as much as the wiring as I could find. I looked again, and I definitely don't have wiring provisions for passenger power seat. Maybe those of you will boxes more endowed option wise might have them, but not me.
    I got the wiring laid out, and the switches in the seat installed. Only thing was the motors in the track were binding up when I tested them... forward and back worked, but it kept binding up trying to tilt. Sooo.... Ill be looking for another seat track! But otherwise its ready to go :banana:

*now for the detailed wiring info and tidbits*

At the junkyard I did some more investigating into the power seat wiring - as mentioned before there is one plug that's just power and ground for the motor assembly. I sliced up the carpet and followed this all the way to the dash. The ground for the power seats is made under the carpet under the seat - no prob. I had to drill a hole to make this ground on my passenger side.
    The positive wire is black with a white stripe and plugs in to a little panel near the fuse box in easy reach. In this car I was lookin at, I noticed two of them right next to each other - this gave me hope that maybe this same junction would be set up for 2 power seats in my car, and it seems to be so! I found were mine is, and it was set up the same. Sure enough there was an empty slot next to the one for my driver side - im assuming it has power - Ill be pissed if it doesnt!
    Now since I nabbed the connector at that end from the donor car as well, I just need to plug that in and crimp some of the same gauge wire to that pigtail and the other end that I just installed. done! power passenger seats

In this pic you will see two wire connectors coming out of the carpet (neither used to be there) - the other is for the town car courtesy lights under the seat. I snipped that end of the harness as well for that connector, so once i get the track on and lights put in the seats, I can just plug it in to the other portion of the harness under the seat and go, just like it was factory.

Archangel

Pete, that Crown Vic of yours, it ain't an HPP - HPP is what my car is getting at, yours is a LSS (luxury sports sedan)

hehe - well I dont have the 'sport' aspect of LSS quite yet... I just went with HPP becuase I felt like I could legitametly claim that, since all HPP from the factory is, is dual exhaust and suspention upgrades

looks good pete!. i need to pull shifty's seat motors and tracks and put em in the 91(dual power seats in a p72 = )
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast