PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Cars in Ontario

Hobbit

Supply and demand. Days of clean $500 boxes or Panthers in general are over. Two doors are rare and so are wagons. Prices of clean wagons have skyrocketed. Someone who is looking specifically for a tudor will pay that.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonMan View Post
    Rarity makes a BIG difference. A 2 door Grand Marquis is a lot harder to find than an 88 Town Car. Everyone has an opinion, including me.
    A friend wants to buy an Amphicar, have you seen the prices for those turds? I wouldn't pay anything near what they are going for.
    WagonMan
    Right, everyone certainly has an opinion and I've been going off about mine. Guess it depends on the Town Car, as I've never seen another like mine. Hell, I haven't even seen a nice black Signature Series since I bought mine. According to the Marti report I got for my car, it's one of 43. LoL, I have seen an Amphicar! I used to like those when I was a kid, was really impressed that something like it existed way back then. However, you nailed it, they're turds. I think only someone with a big imagination and little concern for money would want one. Someone who most likely already has a car collection and wants to add to it, much like a book collector on the hunt for an elusive title. Perhaps a bit of the "But do you have one?" factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
    Supply and demand. Days of clean $500 boxes or Panthers in general are over. Two doors are rare and so are wagons. Prices of clean wagons have skyrocketed. Someone who is looking specifically for a tudor will pay that.
    I understand a gradual price increase over time, but this has been essentially overnight. Like I was saying, it's not just boxes which have been affected. I couldn't get another reasonably priced 1988-1996 F series or GM truck for cheap if I wanted to. Not three years ago I bought a 1992 Chevrolet C1500 for $1,000 which ran and drove. Rare truck as it was a 350 five speed outfitted in top trim. Aside from the rocker panels and cab corners, it was rot free. Not two years ago I bought a rust free, straight and all original 1979 Chevrolet G10 for $600. That didn't run or drive, but neither does this two door Panther. The supply hasn't dried up in just three years. Maybe demand has picked up, but it's just crazy to see values jump across the board essentially overnight like this. The "market" has a choice though, if no one pays the ludicrous prices, they'll come down. In this two door's case, even $3,500 is too much for it given how much it needs and how clapped out it is. I think I already said in an earlier post that a nice one could be had for around $10k USD, but that one couldn't be made nice for the same amount. Not to mention it would take years to source parts and finish it, whereas the smarter and cheaper option would be to wait & buy one that's already nice. It's much easier to keep a car nice than it is to make one nice.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Bottom line - Anything is worth what one fool is willing to pay for it.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Quote Originally Posted by friskyfrankie View Post
    Bottom line - Anything is worth what one fool is willing to pay for it.
    This. The problem with this is that there are far more fools than educated people. One fool buys a car and does what they think "good work" or increased value by doing some sort of repair or cheap paint job and will never sell it for a reasonable price because they are just not educated. It is a bad bad cycle.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ootdega View Post
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    This. The problem with this is that there are far more fools than educated people. One fool buys a car and does what they think "good work" or increased value by doing some sort of repair or cheap paint job and will never sell it for a reasonable price because they are just not educated. It is a bad bad cycle.
    True enough, Dave. Just takes a few idiots to "reset" the market. Then everyone expects to receive "gold for shit"!

Hobbit

all the CFI are belong to me

This is clean enough that people more up to date on current market conditions would be asking $7000 for it.

I'll cautiously parrot my recent previous self, with a minor alteration:
    In the context of the current market, that's well worth it.

Current driver: 84 TC
    Panthers, Parked: 83 GM 2dr | 85 CS | 86 GM | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 05 Focus
    RIP: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | Junkyards

all the CFI are belong to me

1990 Vic, Vaughan, $4500 https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...-lx/1614743094
    Needs some love.

1988 Vic, Richmond Hill, $8200 (LOL) https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ria/1613358608
    Looks pretty decent, but that price is something else.

Current driver: 84 TC
    Panthers, Parked: 83 GM 2dr | 85 CS | 86 GM | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 05 Focus
    RIP: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | Junkyards

'90 may just need a temp sensor or ICV/EGR valve in addition to the exhaust issue. The '88 may already be sold or removed from the ad.

Hobbit

True enough - wonder what is still left on it. Looks intact, at least from the outside but then the ad only has one photo.

Bet the interior and bumpers have already been stripped.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Bet the interior and bumpers have already been stripped.
    Yup.

Hobbit

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233