No announcement yet.

Cars in Ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on the location. I usually get complimentary cans with every coating. One secret to their application, is heat. They heat the oil as its sprayed onto the vehicle. This helps it penetrate and spread. But yes, spraying their product your self is far superior to using the old engine oil trick lol.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

So do I, 2 cans per vehicle. I always seem to burn through at least one can for touch-ups after the official application. Old engine oil cocktail seems like it would be better, and last longer. I dunno. Frame on my K1500 didn't have any rust to speak of last year but does now despite Krown. Although I will say with Krown it seems that bare metal rusts but it's a different rust if that makes any sense. Like it skins over but never gets scabby. I can live with that. WHat's your experience with your other cars? You wouldn't happen to have any initial pics and then some from say 5 years later would you?
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Specifically in reference to the Windsor Krown outfit where Derek gets his car done...I am not at all impressed with the value-for-money, after having a few years to reflect on it.

There is one employee who I have personally witnessed going the extra mile, soaking damned near the entire car in the stuff, exactly as it ought to be. Even being attentive to the trouble spots around the cornering lamps, for example.

However I have also witnessed that their other staff do not seem to give the slightest hint of a care about it and go very light on the application of the product.

There's a place (Ontario Stop Rust) just across the street and up a bit which does a not-so-fancy oil spray for (last I checked) about half the price. They'd have to be pretty awful for them to be worse value for the dollar.

There is a product on (as I recall) my 83, 84 and 91 (all of which have been local cars since day one = applied by a local vendor) which has done its job very well. It is a thick, black, tar-like greasy mess on the underside of the car only (not applied to inside quarter panels like thinner oils such as Krown). It is up to 1/4" thick in places, as you'll find when you make the day-ruining mistake of smashing a knuckle into it while trying to do something under the car. I'm not sure what it is, but everywhere I've made a tool or hand imprint into it, the metal behind it is factory fresh. It obviously isn't "asphalt undercoating" because people say that stuff lets rust form behind it...but whatever it is, in the places it still exists, it's doing its job, and I'm reasonably certain it hasn't been touched up in over 20 years.

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

I like the sound of greasy mess. Bummer you don't know what it is. Sounds like the product I want on my salt bound cars.

But yeah, I'm not impressed with them either. Some areas are good and gooey, others appear bone dry. So I get to drive the vehicle home and then spend at least and hour spraying other areas and then showering after. Might as well do it myself, why I was thinking of buying the bucket of T40 and the special sprayer they use.

Comment

I have added more pics of the bottom of my wagon on my ad that Mr Bean shared. Im sure not all locations are them same but, head office(if you ever call) will encourage you to check your vehicle before leaving. They are supposed to spray where and how much YOU want. The location I go to has always done an excellent job.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

When I had my 03' I got it Krowned and I wasn't impressed. As I recall they have 2 types of undercoatings. T40 and T52 or something like that. One is thicker and one is thin and washes off rather easily. When I had my car done I asked if they had any of the thicker stuff and they told me they just have the one. Well it must've been the thinner stuff. I can't see it lasting for a very long time, definitely not the entire winter. By the end of my ownership the fenders were rusting from the inside out and my rockers were soft.

I also don't like the fact that they drill holes in the body which introduces additional areas that can rust. There are plenty of holes in the body as it is, under moldings and such, which can be used to undercoat.

Last thing I wasn't happy with as already mentioned is coverage. A lot of times there are areas of the car that get missed and those areas eventually rust out.

My local auto body supply shop carries a couple different undercoatings so I plan on doing it myself this fall. There is the oil based stuff and then the wax based stuff. The wax based is what I will be using as it essentially leaves a protective coating that doesn't wash off. The only way to wash it off is via a solvent.

Comment

Well they certainly say they put a lot on after I tell them not to hold back or get it good and greasy, yet the wheel well areas, spring perches and such tend to be dry or drier... Then once the stuff officially dries it appears to be "gone" which according to their literature is normal. Yet looking at the flash rust on my truck's frame has me thinking otherwise. I think their stuff is wax based.. Certainly has a vegetable oil like smell to it. Makes me feel good when I apply it yet lately it seems to be the placebo effect. My Town Car still looks oily underneath but like Mr. Bean said I don't think it'll last a full winter with constant salt baths. I also don't expect it to keep edges and trap like areas from rotting out but do expect it to keep my frame, metal lines, gas tanks, axles and floor pans clean. This truck already went through the Michigan weight loss program and no longer sports lower rocker panels or clean fender lips but the frame and floor pans were clean before this winter..

Comment

The waxed based stuff is suppose to be oily when applied but leave a nice visible film on the panel when dry. It won't be invisible like car wax. More like candle wax.

Comment

Yeah I definitely don't see that with Krown T40, if anything, it's slightly oily looking and that's based of my Town Car. This truck looks like nothing is on it's frame right now.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they don't actually blanket-coat surfaces like the frame or even underbody panels. Only creases and cavities.

Which is precisely why I think the price is over the moon.

Current driver: Ranger
                      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                      | 88 TC | 91 GM
                      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

I don't know what the gooey tar stuff is called either, but I had a '91 CV with it on the underside, and had a brake line blow during a panic stop situation. Some arsehole flew around a yield curve right turn cutout at a stoplight when I was going through on green, and popped out maybe 6' in front of me. I slammed on my brakes and it nosedived but I felt the line let go and the braking performance drop dramatically, and I had to be inches off his rear bumper by the time he got up enough speed to pull away. Turns out, over time water can swirl/swish away that goo and rust/attack the brake lines, especially behind the LF tire by the frame rail where mine went. And yeah, you touch anywhere under the car where it's been sprayed, you're pulling goo-covered hands, as much as Ivan hated the slippery mess under my '91 from oil spray, I think the tar would be a step worse for anyone working under there.
                        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

All goo isn't created equally haha. Maybe that was tar based, maybe kishy's was oil based. I dunno. Tar is a petroleum product or so I think.

I sprayed the hell out of that truck and all of our cars once I get them back home. Basically, if it doesn't look wet, it gets hit by me.

Comment

Zeibart is suppose to be the best but first application is like $300 which is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                              Zeibart is suppose to be the best but first application is like $300 which is ridiculous.
                              About 12 years ago I had two cars Zeibarted. $399. Each year I had to take it in to touch it up for $59. Had to leave it for a day. Only one place in Maine that did Zeibart. Good product however it is only as good as the person who puts it on.

Comment

See, now I heard that's the shit that traps moisture. I see plenty of rotten cars in the yards with Zeibart stickers so I'm skeptical. Can't win when salt is a competitor I guess.

Firebird was Zeibarted when new, coating is greyish black if I remember but is gooey. I had the rear axle swapped on it and there is a an area roughly 6 inches in diameter where they rubbed some off. Clean as can be under it. Car did see 5 years of DD action under my dad's ownership. Previous owner never drove it in the snow and was the original owner.
                                Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 05-23-2018, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X