Transmission slips when shifting from P or R to D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission slips when shifting from P or R to D

Hey all. It's been a while since I've driven the Lincoln and I'm about to start working on it again. One of the big issues that's kept it off the road is the transmission. Ever since I changed the filter and fluid and put on a new kickdown cable, the transmission slips when shifting into Drive from another gear or if I'm accelerating from a stop. I have to rev the engine for the gear to engage and the car usually lurches forward. Once it's moving the transmission shifts just fine. Aside from the fluid level (which I'll check tomorrow), what could this possibly be caused by?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Could be caused by bad fitting of the filter, TV cable loose, low fluid. I'd check the fluid level first. Must be checked running.

There may be more things that could cause this, but that's what I can remember of the top of my head.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had a helluva time getting my tranny filter in all the way. I can see why people would have issues with them falling out if they weren't put in all the way.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

i know its been said before around here but you sure you put the cork square gasket in? failure to do so caused same symptom in my car.
        also could be low line pressure from mis adjusted kick down cable
        1989 crown Vic daily driver 165k and counting!
        1987 MGM 49xxx mi awaiting light resto

Comment

Oops. I was talking about the one on my 2000 MGM that's just held in by the single seal. I guess an older one wouldn't have the same problem.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by Djtb78 View Post
            i know its been said before around here but you sure you put the cork square gasket in? failure to do so caused same symptom in my car.
            also could be low line pressure from mis adjusted kick down cable
            When I installed the filter the first time, I noticed the issue after driving for 5 minutes and saw the square gasket still in the box. I drained the fluid and filter and put the gasket in its place. As far as the kickdown cable is concerned, one of the workers at the shop broke it and left it with too much slack. When I put the "new" cable on, I adjusted it for a little extra pressure.

Comment

Make sure the gasket is in all the way, or watch out so your not doubling over the gaskets, the original can stick to the tranny
              "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
              -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Checked the fluid level today and it's right at the bottom dot. I'll add half a quart and see what that does.

Comment

There is also a way to gauge the line pressure. The reason I say this is because your replacement kickdown cable.
                  Since you jacked with it , seems like a good place to look.
                  If your tranny isnt fried you maybe able to save it.
                  1989 crown Vic daily driver 165k and counting!
                  1987 MGM 49xxx mi awaiting light resto

Comment

Working...
                  X