No announcement yet.

1991 p72

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You shouldn't have 12v on the small solenoid wire with the key in run. It should only have power in "start".

Is that with a digital meter with it not hooked to the solenoid? Try with it hooked up. DVM's put no load on things, so you might be seeing leakage from a dicked ignition switch coming through but it may not have enough current to throw the relay.

What are you jumping on the solenoid exactly, fat to fat, or fat to the skinny? Try fat to skinny to see what it does. If that makes it throw, the solenoid itself is fine and the problem is on the key circuit. No brake interlock on these either, so that wouldn't be related.

The 91 does use the old big starter solenoid, but its using it as a relay to throw the solenoid on the starter itself. Its not a small relay like later ones use, though functionally you could replace it with one. Mostly its used as a power distribution point more than anything else. There should be a fat stud with a shitton of wires on it, a small post with a single wire from the key switch, and a fat post with a smallish wire that runs down to the starter. There also ought to be a fat wire on the battery side of the relay that runs down to the starter.
    Last edited by gadget73; 11-29-2015, 07:17 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is it me or is that just a slick top civi car? No police speedo, no rear sway bar, single exhaust, looks like 10" drums, rubber bushings on the upper control arms, and a STD frame, certainly ain't an old cop car. Didn't they change VIN codes in 90?

Looks like a solid winter beater.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

It's definitely a civi car. Not sure why it's got P72 in the VIN. Maybe a fleet model?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
          It's definitely a civi car.
          Looks to be optioned the same as my '90 CV.
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I'm thinking the owner custom ordered it to be like that. Start with the P72 base, maybe tick off a few options, and that's it. I don't think too many fleets would have ordered a car with a metallic paint job and pin stripe.

The original owner was probably one of those stuck in their ways type who always insisted on purchasing (or ordering) a base car with minimal options.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

It's got winter tires on it already, nice. Get the bugs worked out, put a trac-loc in it and it's ready for winter.

I would say dual exhaust, but I'd wait until spring so the new pipe doesn't get all salty.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Swapped out the starter solenoid and it's alive. Takes a few spins before it starts up, not sure what that's attributed to. Might just need a tune up.

Comment

Progress, nice!

I don't know why I didn't think of this when I read the earlier posts, but the little ground wire on the factory starter is known to corrode. I believe it was due to a crappy spade connector being used from the factory not making good contact. When the factory starter died on my '91 the replacement came with a small lenght of wire with a ring terminal, to replace the spade connector end, and that boltet to the starter for a better connection.

If the car has the factory starter this may be worth checking.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                    Swapped out the starter solenoid and it's alive. Takes a few spins before it starts up, not sure what that's attributed to. Might just need a tune up.
                    my 88 likes me to wait for the fuel pump to finish priming before turning the key to crank. I probably need to replace the fuel filter too as the one-way valve is probably wasted. meh. still works.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nice find! Thank god for that greasy grime on the undercarriage.

I had an '88 P72 that was a civilian car; it had air conditioning, but was otherwise sparse. It didn't even have rear defrost...

I think maybe dealers used a P72 to get a base model slick top, and added options from there? How else could a buyer specify no vinyl top?
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

One good thing is you do not have rust in the lower "A pillar/firewall" areas like many of them do. Mine has that and it is from CA.!
                        Being a P72 it is possible it was a government order of some kind.
                        Look for a build sheet or (if I remember right) a DSO tag in the engine bay.

Comment

How does that rust form on the lower part of A pillar/firewall? Is it just water seepage from cowling?

And WOW nice find! I like it a lot. You did well and saved it from Demo Duty (as much as I enjoy watching a good demo, watching nice cars get pummeled to death is a kick in the nuts!)
                          -Nick M.
                          Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                          03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

I think that rust comes from a design flaw on the 88-91s. Both sides of my 90 was rusted out and poorly repaired by the Department in Ca. that it came from. This repair would be a job for someone like Scott (Lincolnmania). I think either water/salt accumulates in the cowl area, or drain passages get plugged. I know West Coast vehicles can rust out especially if they are near the ocean. This is the only area on my car that has any rust issue.

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                            How does that rust form on the lower part of A pillar/firewall? Is it just water seepage from cowling?

And WOW nice find! I like it a lot. You did well and saved it from Demo Duty (as much as I enjoy watching a good demo, watching nice cars get pummeled to death is a kick in the nuts!)

Comment

My 87 has a HOLE in pass side. Size of a quarter. My 89 is just in beginning stages.
                              -Nick M.
                              Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                              03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Do 91's not have shift interlock? Looks like all the hardware is there on the column but mine doesn't seem to function.

Comment

Working...
                                X