Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulley Alignment? Crank pulley sits too far in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulley Alignment? Crank pulley sits too far in!

The crank pulley on my 84 wagon seems to sit noticeably too far in - as in close to the motor compared to all the other pulleys. I have an aftermarket balancer on it (pioneer if I remember correctly) and it has multiple spacer configurations for multiple applications. Only using all of the bolt spacers gets it even remotely close to lineup so I'm sure I have it correct on that front.

Any idea why it might be off? Probably off a 1/4 to 1/8 inch? Enough that it started th shred the alternator and P/S belt and it completely shredded and threw the AC belt while I was WOT testing the turbo tune last night

Thanks for the help!!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Wonder if it is REALLY made to fit that car? Some aftermarket parts try to be all things to all people and "generally" fit multiple vehicles but few to none exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by 87Topaz View Post
      Wonder if it is REALLY made to fit that car? Some aftermarket parts try to be all things to all people and "generally" fit multiple vehicles but few to none exactly.
      I wonder about that myself. It's so hard for me to see a pulley misalignment visually - I just went and looked again. I know they're off but the main way I can is the aftermath of 10 to 12 WOT runs, ac belt shredded and alt belt lost a rib!
      1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

We need videos of this beast.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Can't say I've ever seen a replacement balancer that came with or required spacers in order to fit. That should be the same unit that they ran from the early 80s through the mid 1990s at least. Are you using the stock crank pulley as well? The Mustang ones have a different offset than the stock 2 belt unit did. Same with the water pump pulley, though the Mustang one has no grooves so its fairly obviously not the same as the stock piece.

I think I'd be swapping that for a direct replacement balancer that doesn't need any spacers or adapters.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Can't say I've ever seen a replacement balancer that came with or required spacers in order to fit. That should be the same unit that they ran from the early 80s through the mid 1990s at least. Are you using the stock crank pulley as well? The Mustang ones have a different offset than the stock 2 belt unit did. Same with the water pump pulley, though the Mustang one has no grooves so its fairly obviously not the same as the stock piece.

I think I'd be swapping that for a direct replacement balancer that doesn't need any spacers or adapters.
            Yep - I think that is the answer. OEM replacement balancer it is.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              We need videos of this beast.
              Ha Ha - yes, I'll post 'em up once I finish getting it tuned..., it's a mild build, ported e7's stock ho cam with 1.7 rockers, explorer intake and an old 80's cartech turbo kit that a modded to work in the box engine bay. I needed power and mpg's so I kept the 3.08 gears. It's blowing out the spark right now....it's just 6lbs of boost or so but that is enough I guess. I've had a number of supercharged mustangs and they all did the same thing without a tight plug gap!

Comment

Working...
              X