Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full chassis swap what year/make whale is the best

I hope this is a good place to post this... If not ill move her

OK guys let me give you some background on what im doing. I have a 1988 Lincoln Town Car that was my grandparents. They purchased it in 1991, when they went to trade he off in 2002 they found out the car no longer had any trade in value…
    It was about that time in my life where I was to be getting my first car. I had dreams of grandeur, a 1967 Mustang Fastback was the apple of my eye and I knew where to get one. I had saved and saved just for the moment that I could call this mustang mine! However for Christmas that year and my need of operable transportation was approaching, so my gift that year was their 1988 LTC.
    As much as I hated this car it began to grow on me to the point that it become a part of who I was. As my best friend would say, “You cant describe Taylor without first describing his car.” Well like with any 16 year old the car had a rough life physically and cosmetically. It became a joke that I would never part with this automobile and that I may just drive it till I die. Well a few years ago I decided to start taking her apart and see exactly what that ‘Salvaged Title’ meant. It meant whole new from clip, distorted core support, and 1” of bondo in the A pillar to make the door fit… The amazing patch work people can do.
    My grandmother used to tell me that she really felt like they had made it financially the day they purchased that car. So it meant a lot too her and thus a lot to me. She also used to joke asking if I would ever finish that car before she passed. Well that day came too soon like it always does. I remember having to go pull the old TC out of the garage and hope she would fire up so that I could drive to the cemetery. From that moment I decided enough was enough and so process of actually fixing her has begun.
    Currently she’s at the frame shop getting the body pulled back into place and the door gasp aligned, then its new quarters, from the rust under the chrome panels, to the new from clip. I have a 2003 Grand Marq LSE, and before that a 2004 P71, which was recently totaled, both of which I love to drive and have thought maybe I should just drop the TC on a newer frame and reap the benefits of the new suspension and the setup for a 2014 5.0 coyote motor that I got from a salvage yard when I traded my P71. This engine has only 7K miles on it!
    Now to the grit… My question is what of the whales would you think would be the best for this setup? They all have the same wheel base (minus the Ultimate L TC) as my Lincoln so the only issue is sitting her on the new frame. That’s really the least of my concerns. I just don’t want to set her on a chassis that has a ton of issues. Like I hear the 2003 cars have axle issues…
    I would like the stiffer suspension of a cop car but the luxuries of traction control and all the interior amenities. Would I be better with a new town car chassis? Or a top of the line Grand Marq? I would like to be able to transfer most interior electrical and so forth.
    Also keep in mind what is “too hard” is not in my vocab. So im thinking a newer towncar so that I can pull the dash and swap the goodies. Id like to just keep the outer look of the car while upgrading the seats, dash, suspension and all the nice things you get with a newer car.
    Ive thought about buying a used cop car for the chassis and getting a frame bent town car for the electrical? I currently have the ability to purchase a 2005 grand marquis that has the rear trunk pushed into the back seat on the passenger side. The frame has been measured to be straight and still runs and drives with only 40k miles. Apparently a truck hit her and went over the frame. With that maybe some one knows of a better year or a more reliable year that I should look into.
    This car is completely sentimental and I know that it wont be worth anything to anyone but me. However I would like to take my kids on Sundays strolls much like I did as a child. So I hope that gives you guys a good ide of what im doing/wanting. Thanks for any advice 

Is the wheelbase that of a standard panther or the 6" longer one? A P71(or any other panther besides the TC or taxi) is 114" while a modern TC(or taxi) is 120"

Sent while running from the cops using Tapatalk
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

It's been done to an 85 Grand Marquis... http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis

the only difference with the Lincoln will be a little bit more nose length. Not sure if the mercury and Lincoln frames were the same with the boxes or not for the nose mounts, but fab is always possible. Check out what he did and what he had to go through in that build thread for the frame swap. I dunno what page it starts on with the frame though.

98-02 rolling frame would probably be the easiest swap with big brakes. 03+ would require moving a few mounting points up front IIRC from Mr Bean's build. All-in-all it's not that big a deal once you have everything off to get the newer stuff to line up, so pretty much any year would work as long as you swap in the newer axles too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think the Town Cars all carried the generally longer wheel base ~117.4 inches. Probably the only areas where the only trouble might come up is bumper mounting, but fab work should take care of that.

If anything, grab a 2004+ chassis and drop the body on it. IIRC, in MrBean's build of the ModBox, the '85 body dropped directly onto the new chassis with all body mounts in the correct locations.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

there was one fender mount on the box that needed to be massaged about an inch or two each side IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I was under the impression that all Town Cars had longer frames than a CV/GMQ. The Ls were ever longer.

As for which chassis to get if you are gonna go through the trouble of a chassis swap get 2003-2011. That way you will have the latest in steering and suspension. Anything that bolts on can be upgraded later on. Body drops right on. The only 2 body mounts that require fabrication are the 2 up front at the header support. Those can be modded later on after the body has been swapped. Front bumper mounts would have to be fabricated.

Look at my build thread for ideas. Page 5 is where chassis swap starts.
            http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
            Last edited by Mr Bean; 12-13-2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Town Car's have longer wheelbases then a vic or marq, besides for the taxi one. Limits your choices.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I guess a whale towny it is then.

Comment

Guys you are right, and i really appreciate the responses. I knew that the wheel base was different by 3 inches but that totally slipped my mind when i wrote this. Sorry about that. I will look at that grand marquis swap tonight and gather questions and concerns for tomorrow. However it does look like a town car chassis will be what i need. Does any one have and experience with the 03+ models that may make on more desirable than another? I found this chart showing the different models for the different years but not real sure on the real difference that make one better than another. Click image for larger version

Name:	towncar levels.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1278538

Sorry you'll have to click on it to make it readable

Comment

the rack and pinion steering plus the watts link in the rear really make the 03+ handle well. Plus you have a MUCH larger selection of wheels you can use since the common mustang wheels are a direct fit.

Comment

Wow i just spent time looking at what 'Mr Bean' has done and that is exactly what ive been planning to do. I would like to have a car that emotionally has the same value while at the same time can be a daily driver for as long as ill need to to be.

Along with this, and please don’t take me wrong or think im trying to flaunt. I was very close with my grandparents and among her passing i inherited some money. Now i dont need this money ive been blessed to have a good job and the knowledge ingrained form her to stay out of debt. So with that i didn’t need the money in the first place and i don’t need it now. It will however allow me to have the nicest car ive ever owned. LOL in fact ive never paid over $2000 for a car, they’ve all been panty dropping panthers. 'that has never actually happened '
                      Is there a Lincoln TC that has all the bells and whistles? or one that particular goodies a person may want?

And one thing that has been eating me up involves the dash, i know of all things. I really need your input on this and set me straight.

I love the way the car looks and memories of sitting on my grandfather lap driving it around the yard. watching that little needle bounce going only 3mph. But in my time my family has been lucky, there has not been a moment where i have had to fear that this car isnt safe enough for me. I know im getting older and worry about things i cant control but one day i hope my children will ask for the keys to take her for a spin. And with that will she be safe enough? One reason i like the idea of giving her traction control and ABS, I also like the idea of AirBags... not for me but for the people she will one day carry.

What is your guys thoughts on that? do i keep the old classic dash or grab a new one with AirBags and give it that old dash feel? gauge face changes, trim altering and painting it that sweet dark blue color? or grab a nice new black dash and build from there....

Guys i really appreciate all the feedback your giving me, really i do.

Comment

Keep the classic dash and mod the steering shaft. Way less work and end result will probably look better.

Comment

+1 just mod the shaft.

Comment

Towncar or 05+ taxis had the extended frame.

Comment

98-02 Townie frame. Retains steering systems that make sense and it gives the Watts link in the rear.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X