No announcement yet.

Custom sony diskman Isolation platform!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't speak on their latest and greatest but I am digging set up I have in TC, has been nearly a decade since I've had a set up like this. Need custom sub box though, this one I have is too small and so sub doesn't hit hard enough at 60hz.

Chart would be cool, whenever you get time is just dandy as other stuff is probably more important.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

It's nice to hear some opinions about Car audio. I'm coming from the consumer home audio world. I'm not familiar at all with any car audio equipment including JBL. Different worlds. I agree that it's impossible to get a coherent sounding car system. The new factory car stereos, Subaru and BMW in particular, are getting worse. The faze appears to be tuned for the middle rear passenger. Pointless for driving. I have heard that Altec Lansing has made some good drivers for cars.

Current ride: 2004 "The Distant future" Grand Marquis

Comment

I'm also more of a home audio guy. The goal there is flat frequency response and imaging, but you can usually move things around somewhat to help with that. Cars are rather more limited with speaker positioning and you have no significant control about placement of the stuff inside the car either. A lot of car audio systems seem aimed more at making things thump than actually sounding decent as well, and thats an issue. Add in the fact that the typical sources now are the relatively awful fidelity sat or HD radio or streamed through the phone via a bluetooth connection and it stops mattering so much. I've moved into the ipod age, but I use high quality files that sound a world better than the digital radio services do. That gurgly underwater streaming BS makes my ears scream.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mine thumps, but is well balanced with non thumping tunes. And it's all cheap Pioneer with a Kenwood eXcelon head unit.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That's what you think sly :P

I agree with inspector gadget, focus just seems to be boom boom. When you listen to what's popular today that really is all there is to amplify; boom boom & handclap. No midrange, no transitions, no clever mixing of multiple instrumental tracks or use of left and right, or clever lyrics, just synthetic boring cookie cutter music. "We're never ever ever getting back together." Case in point.

I am really starting to like my car's set-up. I do prefer home audio to car audio but its nice to be able to jam at home or on the run.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

for what it is... it does sound good... not great... not studio... not bad... just good. And since it's in the 93 now instead of the 88, there's no rattles to speak of when raising the volume. And I can hear the bass on the highway... which is always an issue with the older panthers. The 2000 doesn't have that issue as it's got even more sound deadening than the other two and just the stock system isn't bad (highs are a little muddy, but meh... stock system). I can listen to all points of classical music in my 93 except for a resonant drop round 1-200hz. My den noise maker fills that zone because I have 8s and 10s and a 12" sub along with the 3s and 4s for tweets and highs. Still not studio, but I'm not an audiophile. I just wand decent sound without distortion/flutter/noise. And with my setups, I get that. Plus, I like the boom... and always have. Hotel California actually got me started on liking the boom. The stock JBL systems do pretty good with that, but it's just not enough for me. My setup gets thre, but doesn't make vision blurry or breathing difficult or heart rate change... so it's good for me.

tl;dr build it the way you want it and you'll like it. Not everyone is going to like the same setup.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Whosondephone View Post
                What the hell is that? ^
                Ha, it was from Wanes World, in the gremlin. They were rocking out to that diskman. lol

Comment

Working...
                X