Custom sony diskman Isolation platform!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom sony diskman Isolation platform!

At work we make platforms for HI-Fi audio components. So I got to use some scraps to make a CD player platform. I believe that the Ford Premium Sound is quite good. (at least without tweeters) I made this 2 years ago. I used a Sony shock mount as a template so it is compatible with any Sony diskman with a metal bottem. There were two problems with the Sony shock mount. The sound was horrible using the built in power supply. Secondly they use rubber for isolation. I do not have time to comment further on that. Ask and I will some other time if interested. The CD player is screwed to the platform threading from the underside. I believe I'm using the Sony CP-7. I would recommend anyone using a tape adapter to use at least a Sony CP-9.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151213_163828.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1303238

Name:	20151213_163927.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1303239

Name:	20151213_163742.jpg
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1303240

Current ride: 2004 "The Distant future" Grand Marquis

nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Swap a JBL amp in place of the Ford garbage and treat your ears to tonal bliss. For added low end response throw the Ford JBL 6x9's in place of the Ford junk too.
      On a side note, Ford did offer a Sony sourced CD player in box TC's from 87-89. I pulled the entire assy from a 89 a month or so ago, great condition and it works. I have no use for CD's other than ripping them into my database so it's just sitting there.

https://books.google.com/books?id=HO...%20car&f=false

Name:	1988 Town Car Cd Player.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1278540
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Good luck finding those 6x9's. Every time I find a set, they're wasted.
        1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I've got a couple if you're interested

Comment

Well the Mark VII specific sets are for grabs lol. I only have one spare TC set..

Comment

Need one of these too!

Name:	99732218.9144.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1278542

Comment

What the hell is that? ^

I have had good experience with low power JBL amps. I'm not a fan of the speakers on the otherhand. I suppose they couldn't mess up a woofer. I've only heard maybe 6 different systems. JBL Junky But Loud. Their speakers then to have good frequency response and efficiency. However they lack coherency and imaging. I find the top end tends to be harsh.

Just after I clicked Post I came to the realization that the ford amp sucks. It sounds flatter and louder than the ford regular sound amps... I'm looking for a Sony XR-7071. Doubt I'll ever find one. I have a 10CD disk changer that is compatible with it. The RF interface module that the CD player come with sounds bad! I might pick up an old head unit if it is simple and green. Nothing flashy silver round...

I'm on a quest to find a DAC that sounds better than a CD player. I spent $600 on a Lavry DA10. The Dennon CD player I picked out of the garbage sounds better. Perhaps if I get a better input source for the Lavry it will beet the Dennon.
                Last edited by Whosondephone; 12-19-2015, 12:32 AM.

Current ride: 2004 "The Distant future" Grand Marquis

Comment

RF inputs are pretty much always a bad idea. I've yet to hear one that sounded remotely decent. The tape adapters are better, and they're not amazing.

The JBL thing is a matter of taste I expect. Talking about coherent imaging in a car is pretty much hopeless though. The layout is all wrong and the materials are not remotely favorable for it. I have a pair at home that I like just fine, but they don't really share much in common with how the factory JBL car stuff sounds. I will say that my Klipsch speakers image better, but the JBL's sound much better in the workshop with its lack of carpet to dampen any echos. Some of that is the amplification too though. That Sherwood tube amp I run on the Klipsch speakers has a bit of magic in it.
                  Last edited by gadget73; 12-19-2015, 10:09 AM.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

JBL car audio trumps all other car audio stuff I've heard, including Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer (the basalt cone stuff came close), Alpine and Boston. Boston's sound great but can't handle any bass without melting. Try the JBL stuff with JBL amp and then report back.

Comment

Those parts do pair. The frequency response of the JBL amps is not flat at all. I suspect it has been doctored to make the head unit, speaker, amplifier, and car combination sound right together. I should hook one up and actually get the frequency response plotted. I did it pretty crudely a while back, but now I have a voltmeter that is accurate and I've figured out how to do math and graphing in OpenOffice so it will spit out a chart that makes sense.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 for the charting for the amp. For S&G's you could also do the premium crap too. Oh, I forgot to throw Focal stuff in there. That stuff sounds like turds for what they're trying to charge. DOn't know where that company came from but $800+ for a pair of car speakers is insane. Their followers seem to be on the same drugs as Bose people.

Comment

Are we talking factory JBL systems or aftermarket as well? I'll agree the factory JBL (or other Harman brands) are generally nice sound OEM systems, however for aftermarket it's tough to beat Boston Acoustics, Polk and JL audio. I'll agree with you on Focal, over priced for what you get.
                          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                          Past Panthers
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Factory & aftermarket. Considering I got my second hand factory JBL stuff for $5 a speaker, you can't beat the quality for price ratio! Seriously too though, I was very impressed with the performance of that stuff. Seems to me people really didn't start taking car audio seriously until the 80's so I wasn't expecting much at all but was very impressed. Can't believe ford used a receiver/preamp with dedicated amplifier.

I had Bostons for the longest time and they were my preferred choice up until I stumbled upon JBL. I had their SL95's (Still use them in the Fury but they're dead now) and they were great, clean & smooth but all it takes is one bout of heavy bass or screwed up setting and you end up with a scratchy blown speaker. The cheaper JBL power series stuff sounds about 90% as good as the Bostons but have handled all of my abuse. Sets I've purchased over five years ago are still running strong. Power series is being phased out. Was not impressed with my JBL dash speakers for Townie. had to unplug them due to harshness. Couldn't find the matching power series set though.

Never had Polk car audio stuff. Friend raves about them for home audio. Too bright for me, would be great for new wave and stuff I suppose. Never listened to JL audio either. My impression from the CarTunes sound room is that they're all about the boom boom.

Comment

The only stuff I have on had are Ford factory JBL amps from the 80s. I believe both of mine are Mark VII parts. The one for the Towncar has a different part number, but that may be related to the different mounting plate setup. I don't know if its any different otherwise. I know the actual amplifier chips are the same, but I won't swear that some other component values are not a bit different.

I've got some time over Christmas. Maybe I'll whack together a frequency response chart. I have some other workshop projects to do then as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X