Possible fuel issue???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible fuel issue???

2001 GM..Brothers car. He stoped and got gas today and then maybe 10 minutes later he stopped at a stop sign and when he accelerated she started to shudder and then totally died. Now she will turn over but not crank. Sometimes it sputters and acts like it wants to keep running, but dies. If that makes any sense. Any ideas are appreciated.
    2001 Grand Marquis LS

Do you know the sound of a fuel pump priming the system?

shot of ether in the intake may help you isolate this.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

If the fuel pump is humming, the fuel filter may need to be changed. Especially if the car got some water in the tank. That tends to stop up the fuel filter as it also works as a water catch.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If there is little to no fuel pressure it could be the hose inside the fuel tank split open.

I had this happen on my '91 MGM, and the issue you describe sounds like the same symptoms I had.
        It could be other things such as the fuel pump or fuel pump relay gone bad. If you can't do a fuel pressure test, do what jaywish said to narrow the issue down.

Bad relay or clogged fuel filter like Sly said would be the easiest things to fix. Bad pump or even the split hose would mean pulling the fuel pump assembly from the tank.
        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 12-30-2015, 08:36 PM.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Take the filter off and dump it into a can. If you see chunks and/or water, you have your answer. That was just about the first diagnostic process I learned when I was messing with boats for a living.

If the filter doesn't have a lot of crap in it, aim the hose that is on the rear side of the filter into a container and have someone turn the key on. You should get a nice shot of fuel out of that line if things are basically working OK. If no pump action, either the pump, it's power circuit, or the in-tank hose have failed.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Jay we can hear the fuel pump when we turn the key on..which is weird because I have an 01 as well but can't hear it. I think the previous owners replaced this pump so it's aftermarket.
            2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Thanks guys I will try all those. You can hear the pump when you turn the key on....so gonna start with the filter.
              2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Ok,
                Next step I would try is a nice shot of ether in the intake just after the air filter in the top of the filter box. I say just after the filter because I think you have a sensor inline after the filter that needs to be working for the car to run.

If it runs on the ether then it is a fuel problem, if it does not run then it is ignition.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

It'll start with the mass air sensor out of the line, but it won't run well and it may not stay running. If the MAF is bad, it won't run either but usually it will start and die. Quick and dirty test for that is to unplug it and see if it runs. With no MAF plugged in, it will run on some sort of fail-safe values and start. Might not run well, but it will run.

If its not fuel related, a crusty connection to the crank trigger or a bad crank trigger is the usual reason for a lack of ignition.
                  Last edited by gadget73; 12-31-2015, 03:33 PM.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You have plenty of good advice.
                    Keep us "posted".
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Did he fuel up and a real gas station, or one of those hole in the wall with fuel of unknown quality and contaminents? I'd be draining the fuel, changing the filter (if it had water in it, it won't pass fuel very well), dump a container of isopropyl based water remover in the empty tank, and getting a batch of known good fuel in her.

Alex.

Comment

Going to change the fuel filter this weekend. Haven't been able to get to it yet. Thanks and I'll keep you updated.
                        2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Update.....we changed the fuel filter, and it starts now, but dies rather quickly. Won't take any throttle at all. Unplugged the MAF and the same thing. Seemed to actually start better with MAF unplugged but ran for maybe 5 seconds if that...and very rough. Going to try to clean the MAF. Is it worth cleaning the IAC or just buy a new one?
                          2001 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

always worth cleaning the IAC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

engine off, initial key on fuel pressure psi?

Dump the fuel, replace the fuel filter again and fresh fuel from a real gas station. No randomn POS station just becuase it has the lowest price.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X