AOD Morning Sickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD Morning Sickness

Why is it that morning sickness only rears its ugly head when it gets cold?..........in the warm weather never an issue??

Are you talking that is slips when its cold? piston seals.
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
    sigpic

Comment

My '85 did that.. I replaced missing grommet, changed trans filter & replaced lost fluid and all was good after that. Letting it warm up helped before that.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

When temps cold here in NYC the engine just races, like in neutral.......the engages. Never an issue in the summer.
        Originally posted by pivichot View Post
        Are you talking that is slips when its cold? piston seals.

Comment

How is the fluid? is this when the engine is cold? Once it warms up does it go away? how much mileage?
          1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
          Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
          Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
          sigpic

Comment

Typically internal seals. Either valve body, pump, or filter.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The fluid gets thicker and its harder to pump. Hard seals also create leakage, so there you go. Sometimes fresh fluid helps, if only because its not as thick as well used old juice. It can also sometimes help soften up seals and make them go again.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Fluid clean, yes only when cold, goes away when warm, 84K miles
                Originally posted by pivichot View Post
                How is the fluid? is this when the engine is cold? Once it warms up does it go away? how much mileage?

Comment

Has the trans ever been serviced? If so, do you know if the little filter gasket was put in? Without that gasket, it slips bad in first gear. The AOD isn't usually so much prone to morning sickness like some older transmissions were. They can get a bit sluggish but it shouldn't let the engine just rev until it warms up either. The trans in my Mark VII has similar mileage to yours, and even before I put the new valve body in, it had no trouble engaging no matter what the temperatures were. It did shift a little slower than normal until it warmed up some but nothing that would make you think something was wrong.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X