No announcement yet.

My New 1978 Ford LTD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I like about your car is the interior condition. The steering wheel, dash, door panels, trim around the windows etc is not cracked and turned to dust. That is an expensive task finding nice pieces. I noticed the one piece antenna. That could mean the stereo was dealer installed (dealers were big on that then) or it has been replaced. Are you going to keep the Landau wheelcovers or go with something else offered that year ?

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
      Oh, one last thing I should mention just in case... those nasty orangey-yellow carpet things in the front seat floor are just there to protect the floor. The carpet is in nice shape underneath it.
      I was just going to ask!
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        Cool car. I dig that blue fabric on the seats.
        Originally posted by jaywish View Post
        I agree that is a wild interior.
        I love the interior. It's crazy comfortable too.

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
        That's a 351W, mang. Cool car!
        Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
        Nice find. The fact that its a Windsor is a good thing, too.
        Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
        I agree with everyone else, thats a 351 windsor and that is a good thing.
        Unfortunately it's smogged up and will need help to do it's best.
        Now all you need is a police car from those years to get a few parts. including the 140MPH cluster.
        Nice find!!!
        Awesome! That's such great news because from what I can gather in researching, there's not much to do to a 351M/400 when in comes to performance... people more or less seem to just deem them boat anchors. This being a 351W, I should be able to get some power out of it huh?

Originally posted by CountrySedan View Post
        Nice find.
        When I was on the job, I was assigned a 78 LTD PI with that exact interior pattern/color.
        Those clocks are all over ebay and are easy to install, if you get tired of staring at that blank. My dad bought a new 73 Country Sedan that came without a clock, I was in the Ford dealer ordering one up before we had the car a week, I hate blanks in dashes.
        Nice. I do like the look of both the "digital" and analog clocks these cars came with... I might put one in down the road but hold onto the delete plate so I can always revert it back if I want. I don't think I've ever owned a car yet that didn't have a clock in it.

Originally posted by TwoTone_90GS View Post
        I like it! Nice score.
        Thanks!

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
        I am so glad you got your LTD. Very very nice. The body & interior is excellent. Don't you think the owner could have put blue 70s era shag carpet instead of yellow? It is nice that the car came with all the paperwork. If you have questions, I have the Ford ordering book and the shop manuals.
        Just so you don't get the wrong one, the missing antenna is a three section one, not a one piece. If the rear bumper area is the only major problem, you have it made. At least you can focus on getting those parts instead of everything else as well. The motor is a small block 351. It is interesting that the small block was a cost option for that year. Most of the big Fords had 351/400 smog motor. That color blue buffs out well since it is a non metallic.
        Thanks! Thankfully the yellow shag carpet can be removed and replaced with some nice floor mats.

One question I do have, when I go to RockAuto and check out parts, they only have one 351 engine listed. (Autozone surprisingly lists the 351M and 351W for this year) I'm going to assume that's the 351M as the 351W was an upgrade at the dealership (though it doesn't say exactly). Should I be using a different year to look up parts for this motor? Or maybe even a different car that came with the 351W stock?

Unfortunately, the color looks really good in most places but there are places where the paint has chipped and there's some rust forming. I guess I can try to sand down the rust, prime it and see if I can get a body shop to match the paint in those areas? I have a paint gun and stuff that I used for the CV, but not a way to match the fade in the paint so probably bringing it to a shop to do that might be the best option.

One thing I like about your car is the interior condition. The steering wheel, dash, door panels, trim around the windows etc is not cracked and turned to dust. That is an expensive task finding nice pieces. I noticed the one piece antenna. That could mean the stereo was dealer installed (dealers were big on that then) or it has been replaced. Are you going to keep the Landau wheelcovers or go with something else offered that year ?
        The interior condition is mind blowing how nice it is for what I paid for the car. Probably the most solid interior I own at the moment. Floor pans underneath have zero rust on them as well. The only issue I did see was the passenger side door rest has started to crack by the seat belt side from what I would think is someone using it to pull the door closed. (I know you guys said to look out for that). Currently, it's not really bad at all but has potential if someone was to continue to use it.

Yes, it has a one piece antennae that was taken off so the guy could cover the car. The radio is a FM/AM radio that I see in the dealer options paperwork, so it could have been added by them. (Cost the original owner an extra $75)

Are those definitely landau wheel covers? I found a very similarly equipped coup that has the same covers. Looks like it has the same interior, engine, wheel covers, clock delete, radio, bumpers, etc. Could be the the same package?

http://www.mjcclassiccars.com/1978-Ford-LTD-Coupe.shtml

Thanks for the all the comments so far guys! I went to the DMV today and successfully got the title transferred over to me as well as registration/plates!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

One more question, this is a PA car it's whole life until now and they don't require a front license plate. Here in NY, we do. When I inherited my grandmother's '96 Oldsmobile Ciera, it was the same deal as it was from PA it's whole life. That car wasn't really an issue as it's not really a classic. For that car, I just drilled right into the plastic bumper to mount the license plate bracket.

Is there anything I can do with this car without modifying anything permanently besides zip tying the license plate the grill? That front bumper is far too nice to do anything to.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Maybe the front bracket from a LTD CV or MGM would work?

There's an OE bracket here, but might be a bit pricey: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Original...5Uq3F0&vxp=mtr

There's also these "universal" things, but I don't know if they'd work too well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIA-FORD-Sil...FV1drf&vxp=mtr

I think as long as any mounting for a holder is done underneath or behind the bumper, it should prevent it from getting any unsightly visible surface damage.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

license plate: check the bottom of the front bumper for 2 slots located about the correct spacing apart for license plate bolts. Should be on the driver side corner. Use some big L brackets from the hardware store along with some nuts/bolts to bolt everything up until you can find the proper plate holder.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

aSSUMING ITS ENGINES options were the same as my Tbird. 302 STOCK, 351W opt, 351M opt, 400 OPT. Ass fR AS JUCING UP A 351w VS 351M OR 400 HAS THE ADVANTAGE My 77 F 150 ford 4X4 truck built up for towing is around 375 HP somewhere over 400 ft LBS of tork and would get 13 14 MPG WITH 4:11, 33" tires and trans slippage 25% untill over 3000 rpm. mIGHT BE THE OPTION OF A 460 ALSO
                Last edited by turbo2256b; 01-05-2016, 11:37 AM.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

The original front license plate holder bolted to the bottom of the bumper on the driver's side, so some kind of "L" shaped deal should work in place of oem. Ford started using one-section antennas in 1973 and I don't recall them ever going back to the telescoping ones, not on the big cars anyway (not counting the power ones, which did telescope). And that sure looks like a factory AM/FM in the dash.

Comment

I've never paid much attention to front license plate brackets since they are not required in my state.
                    But I agree, that radio and antenna are factory stock from Ford.

Comment

Very nice!

And in much nicer condition than The Blue Rajah - a 1978 LeSabre I picked up about 2 years ago - 4 door, also baby blue, and also very low optioned. Vinyl bench manual seats, manual locks, manual windows, AM only radio with the antenna wires in the windshield.

I think the only options the guy got were Air Conditioning, and the 301 2-bbl (in lieu of the V6).

Of course, mine was dirt cheap, but was NOT garage kept - had peeling paint - and after 2 years in NJ, those substantial sections of peeling paint are now sections of gobs of surface rust. Still in surprisingly decent shape. But odd, almost the same color, and same idea of being ultra-low optioned.... and low mileage. And . . same year.
                      1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
                      Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
                      Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
                      Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

I have a used a little bent license plate frame from my 75 in stock. Two bolts on the bottom, one that goes where the bumper bolt is.
                        When ordering parts give the parts person the H in the vin number. for 351W. On the wheel covers. I am looking at a brochure of a full landau package with those wheel covers on the car. That does not mean much as in those years, four different wheel covers/hubcap was offered for the customers choosing. Some at extra cost. Yours are color keyed to the body, so polish them out and they could look sharp or replace them with the other styles available. All would be correct. As far as radios. When a person went into the dealership there was a display rack with all the Ford factory radios inside the rack. AM, AM/FM, AM,FM mono, AM,FM,stereo, AM,FM,8 track, AM/8 track and the top of the line AM/FM/CB with the cb in the mic. Wow was that cool then. The dealership made more money upselling and installing at the dealership then ordering from the factory. Except for the antenna and maybe the knobs, they were the same FORD radio. Occasionally a Magnavox radio would appear in the bunch.

Comment

Man, I should have never sold mine.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Nice!
                            Hows the metal under the roof, hopefully there are no bubbles!
                            my first car was a 77 ltd sedan. mine had a 400, was a slicktop and had a red brougham interior. Mom took it to her second job one night and wrecked it on black ice. she might not have been ok in the fairmont that she normally drove.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                              Maybe the front bracket from a LTD CV or MGM would work?

There's an OE bracket here, but might be a bit pricey: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Original...5Uq3F0&vxp=mtr

There's also these "universal" things, but I don't know if they'd work too well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIA-FORD-Sil...FV1drf&vxp=mtr

I think as long as any mounting for a holder is done underneath or behind the bumper, it should prevent it from getting any unsightly visible surface damage.
                              Thanks Dude! Do you think the regular 87 down license plate will bolt on? I guess I can measure my CV and the LTD and compare bolt distances to double check. $35 doesn't seem too terrible for eBay. (And I know the junk yards by me won't have anything... Autozone can't even order a replacement headlight. Got two off Amazon tonight.)

Originally posted by sly View Post
                              license plate: check the bottom of the front bumper for 2 slots located about the correct spacing apart for license plate bolts. Should be on the driver side corner. Use some big L brackets from the hardware store along with some nuts/bolts to bolt everything up until you can find the proper plate holder.
                              You're right! Just looked under the bumper... not the cleanest looking spot but it does appear to have the spot there to mount the bracket. I'll check Home Depot to fabricate something while I hunt down a real replacement.

Pic:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	front_license_mount.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1278641

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                              aSSUMING ITS ENGINES options were the same as my Tbird. 302 STOCK, 351W opt, 351M opt, 400 OPT. Ass fR AS JUCING UP A 351w VS 351M OR 400 HAS THE ADVANTAGE My 77 F 150 ford 4X4 truck built up for towing is around 375 HP somewhere over 400 ft LBS of tork and would get 13 14 MPG WITH 4:11, 33" tires and trans slippage 25% untill over 3000 rpm. mIGHT BE THE OPTION OF A 460 ALSO
                              I believe in these cars, for 1978, it was 351M stock, 351W option. (I'm not sure the 400 was still an option in '78 due to smog stuff). So you're saying the 400 was the best one for modding?

Originally posted by King_V View Post
                              Very nice!

And in much nicer condition than The Blue Rajah - a 1978 LeSabre I picked up about 2 years ago - 4 door, also baby blue, and also very low optioned. Vinyl bench manual seats, manual locks, manual windows, AM only radio with the antenna wires in the windshield.

I think the only options the guy got were Air Conditioning, and the 301 2-bbl (in lieu of the V6).

Of course, mine was dirt cheap, but was NOT garage kept - had peeling paint - and after 2 years in NJ, those substantial sections of peeling paint are now sections of gobs of surface rust. Still in surprisingly decent shape. But odd, almost the same color, and same idea of being ultra-low optioned.... and low mileage. And . . same year.
                              Thanks! I have a thing about baby blue cars... it seems they some how always seem to make it through the years and remain affordable. haha. I actually got this LTD for what I would consider dirt cheap around here. Do you have any pics of the '78 LeSabre?

Originally posted by CountrySedan View Post
                              The original front license plate holder bolted to the bottom of the bumper on the driver's side, so some kind of "L" shaped deal should work in place of oem. Ford started using one-section antennas in 1973 and I don't recall them ever going back to the telescoping ones, not on the big cars anyway (not counting the power ones, which did telescope). And that sure looks like a factory AM/FM in the dash.
                              Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                              I've never paid much attention to front license plate brackets since they are not required in my state.
                              But I agree, that radio and antenna are factory stock from Ford.
                              I have a used a little bent license plate frame from my 75 in stock. Two bolts on the bottom, one that goes where the bumper bolt is.
                              When ordering parts give the parts person the H in the vin number. for 351W. On the wheel covers. I am looking at a brochure of a full landau package with those wheel covers on the car. That does not mean much as in those years, four different wheel covers/hubcap was offered for the customers choosing. Some at extra cost. Yours are color keyed to the body, so polish them out and they could look sharp or replace them with the other styles available. All would be correct. As far as radios. When a person went into the dealership there was a display rack with all the Ford factory radios inside the rack. AM, AM/FM, AM,FM mono, AM,FM,stereo, AM,FM,8 track, AM/8 track and the top of the line AM/FM/CB with the cb in the mic. Wow was that cool then. The dealership made more money upselling and installing at the dealership then ordering from the factory. Except for the antenna and maybe the knobs, they were the same FORD radio. Occasionally a Magnavox radio would appear in the bunch.
                              Awesome. Thanks for the info! Are you willing to sell the license plate bracket? Or.. do you know off hand if it's the same one as on the panther '87 and older front bumpers?

Also, it looks like you're on to something with the radio! I was scanning the huge pile of paper work that came with the car and found the receipt for a radio installation from the dealership back in '79! (Spelled "raido" ) Maybe he went back the following year and upgraded the radio to an AM/FM???

Click image for larger version

Name:	radioinstallation-receipt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1278642

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              Man, I should have never sold mine.
                              I remember the thread about that I think over at CV.net... it unfortunately ended up being demo derbied by the next owner right? Sad. I'm amazed I still find these cars up for sale as demo derby cars. You would think being 40 years old would warrant selling them being more lucrative over crushing them. I bought mine out of state for a steal of a lifetime.. I'm actually technically the second owner. If I was to buy here on Long Island... I don't think I've ever seen one go for less that $4k. There's only been maybe 3 I can remember in the past 4 years that got posted for sale on the island. I haven't seen one on the street here in a good 10+ years.

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                              Nice!
                              Hows the metal under the roof, hopefully there are no bubbles!
                              my first car was a 77 ltd sedan. mine had a 400, was a slicktop and had a red brougham interior. Mom took it to her second job one night and wrecked it on black ice. she might not have been ok in the fairmont that she normally drove.
                              Feeling around the roof and it's edges I wasn't able to feel any bubbling thankfully. Seems pretty solid actually. I'm sorry to hear about your car but glad to hear it served it's purpose in protecting your mom from any harm.

Comment

wow... the extruded nuts are still there too... makes things easier. Take one with you to get the bolts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X