PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My New 1978 Ford LTD

license plate: check the bottom of the front bumper for 2 slots located about the correct spacing apart for license plate bolts. Should be on the driver side corner. Use some big L brackets from the hardware store along with some nuts/bolts to bolt everything up until you can find the proper plate holder.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

aSSUMING ITS ENGINES options were the same as my Tbird. 302 STOCK, 351W opt, 351M opt, 400 OPT. Ass fR AS JUCING UP A 351w VS 351M OR 400 HAS THE ADVANTAGE My 77 F 150 ford 4X4 truck built up for towing is around 375 HP somewhere over 400 ft LBS of tork and would get 13 14 MPG WITH 4:11, 33" tires and trans slippage 25% untill over 3000 rpm. mIGHT BE THE OPTION OF A 460 ALSO
    Last edited by turbo2256b; 01-05-2016 at 11:37 AM.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

The original front license plate holder bolted to the bottom of the bumper on the driver's side, so some kind of "L" shaped deal should work in place of oem. Ford started using one-section antennas in 1973 and I don't recall them ever going back to the telescoping ones, not on the big cars anyway (not counting the power ones, which did telescope). And that sure looks like a factory AM/FM in the dash.

I've never paid much attention to front license plate brackets since they are not required in my state.
    But I agree, that radio and antenna are factory stock from Ford.

GMN Regular

Very nice!

And in much nicer condition than The Blue Rajah - a 1978 LeSabre I picked up about 2 years ago - 4 door, also baby blue, and also very low optioned. Vinyl bench manual seats, manual locks, manual windows, AM only radio with the antenna wires in the windshield.

I think the only options the guy got were Air Conditioning, and the 301 2-bbl (in lieu of the V6).

Of course, mine was dirt cheap, but was NOT garage kept - had peeling paint - and after 2 years in NJ, those substantial sections of peeling paint are now sections of gobs of surface rust. Still in surprisingly decent shape. But odd, almost the same color, and same idea of being ultra-low optioned.... and low mileage. And . . same year.
    1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
    Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
    Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
    Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

fomoco panthers !

I have a used a little bent license plate frame from my 75 in stock. Two bolts on the bottom, one that goes where the bumper bolt is.
    When ordering parts give the parts person the H in the vin number. for 351W. On the wheel covers. I am looking at a brochure of a full landau package with those wheel covers on the car. That does not mean much as in those years, four different wheel covers/hubcap was offered for the customers choosing. Some at extra cost. Yours are color keyed to the body, so polish them out and they could look sharp or replace them with the other styles available. All would be correct. As far as radios. When a person went into the dealership there was a display rack with all the Ford factory radios inside the rack. AM, AM/FM, AM,FM mono, AM,FM,stereo, AM,FM,8 track, AM/8 track and the top of the line AM/FM/CB with the cb in the mic. Wow was that cool then. The dealership made more money upselling and installing at the dealership then ordering from the factory. Except for the antenna and maybe the knobs, they were the same FORD radio. Occasionally a Magnavox radio would appear in the bunch.

Man, I should have never sold mine.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Nice!
    Hows the metal under the roof, hopefully there are no bubbles!
    my first car was a 77 ltd sedan. mine had a 400, was a slicktop and had a red brougham interior. Mom took it to her second job one night and wrecked it on black ice. she might not have been ok in the fairmont that she normally drove.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    Maybe the front bracket from a LTD CV or MGM would work?

There's an OE bracket here, but might be a bit pricey: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Original...5Uq3F0&vxp=mtr

There's also these "universal" things, but I don't know if they'd work too well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIA-FORD-Sil...FV1drf&vxp=mtr

I think as long as any mounting for a holder is done underneath or behind the bumper, it should prevent it from getting any unsightly visible surface damage.
    Thanks Dude! Do you think the regular 87 down license plate will bolt on? I guess I can measure my CV and the LTD and compare bolt distances to double check. $35 doesn't seem too terrible for eBay. (And I know the junk yards by me won't have anything... Autozone can't even order a replacement headlight. Got two off Amazon tonight.)

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    license plate: check the bottom of the front bumper for 2 slots located about the correct spacing apart for license plate bolts. Should be on the driver side corner. Use some big L brackets from the hardware store along with some nuts/bolts to bolt everything up until you can find the proper plate holder.
    You're right! Just looked under the bumper... not the cleanest looking spot but it does appear to have the spot there to mount the bracket. I'll check Home Depot to fabricate something while I hunt down a real replacement.

Pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front_license_mount.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	44200

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2256b View Post
    aSSUMING ITS ENGINES options were the same as my Tbird. 302 STOCK, 351W opt, 351M opt, 400 OPT. Ass fR AS JUCING UP A 351w VS 351M OR 400 HAS THE ADVANTAGE My 77 F 150 ford 4X4 truck built up for towing is around 375 HP somewhere over 400 ft LBS of tork and would get 13 14 MPG WITH 4:11, 33" tires and trans slippage 25% untill over 3000 rpm. mIGHT BE THE OPTION OF A 460 ALSO
    I believe in these cars, for 1978, it was 351M stock, 351W option. (I'm not sure the 400 was still an option in '78 due to smog stuff). So you're saying the 400 was the best one for modding?

Quote Originally Posted by King_V View Post
    Very nice!

And in much nicer condition than The Blue Rajah - a 1978 LeSabre I picked up about 2 years ago - 4 door, also baby blue, and also very low optioned. Vinyl bench manual seats, manual locks, manual windows, AM only radio with the antenna wires in the windshield.

I think the only options the guy got were Air Conditioning, and the 301 2-bbl (in lieu of the V6).

Of course, mine was dirt cheap, but was NOT garage kept - had peeling paint - and after 2 years in NJ, those substantial sections of peeling paint are now sections of gobs of surface rust. Still in surprisingly decent shape. But odd, almost the same color, and same idea of being ultra-low optioned.... and low mileage. And . . same year.
    Thanks! I have a thing about baby blue cars... it seems they some how always seem to make it through the years and remain affordable. haha. I actually got this LTD for what I would consider dirt cheap around here. Do you have any pics of the '78 LeSabre?

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySedan View Post
    The original front license plate holder bolted to the bottom of the bumper on the driver's side, so some kind of "L" shaped deal should work in place of oem. Ford started using one-section antennas in 1973 and I don't recall them ever going back to the telescoping ones, not on the big cars anyway (not counting the power ones, which did telescope). And that sure looks like a factory AM/FM in the dash.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcninetyone View Post
    I've never paid much attention to front license plate brackets since they are not required in my state.
    But I agree, that radio and antenna are factory stock from Ford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    I have a used a little bent license plate frame from my 75 in stock. Two bolts on the bottom, one that goes where the bumper bolt is.
    When ordering parts give the parts person the H in the vin number. for 351W. On the wheel covers. I am looking at a brochure of a full landau package with those wheel covers on the car. That does not mean much as in those years, four different wheel covers/hubcap was offered for the customers choosing. Some at extra cost. Yours are color keyed to the body, so polish them out and they could look sharp or replace them with the other styles available. All would be correct. As far as radios. When a person went into the dealership there was a display rack with all the Ford factory radios inside the rack. AM, AM/FM, AM,FM mono, AM,FM,stereo, AM,FM,8 track, AM/8 track and the top of the line AM/FM/CB with the cb in the mic. Wow was that cool then. The dealership made more money upselling and installing at the dealership then ordering from the factory. Except for the antenna and maybe the knobs, they were the same FORD radio. Occasionally a Magnavox radio would appear in the bunch.
    Awesome. Thanks for the info! Are you willing to sell the license plate bracket? Or.. do you know off hand if it's the same one as on the panther '87 and older front bumpers?

Also, it looks like you're on to something with the radio! I was scanning the huge pile of paper work that came with the car and found the receipt for a radio installation from the dealership back in '79! (Spelled "raido" ) Maybe he went back the following year and upgraded the radio to an AM/FM???

Name:	radioinstallation-receipt.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	44201

Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Man, I should have never sold mine.
    I remember the thread about that I think over at CV.net... it unfortunately ended up being demo derbied by the next owner right? Sad. I'm amazed I still find these cars up for sale as demo derby cars. You would think being 40 years old would warrant selling them being more lucrative over crushing them. I bought mine out of state for a steal of a lifetime.. I'm actually technically the second owner. If I was to buy here on Long Island... I don't think I've ever seen one go for less that $4k. There's only been maybe 3 I can remember in the past 4 years that got posted for sale on the island. I haven't seen one on the street here in a good 10+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    Nice!
    Hows the metal under the roof, hopefully there are no bubbles!
    my first car was a 77 ltd sedan. mine had a 400, was a slicktop and had a red brougham interior. Mom took it to her second job one night and wrecked it on black ice. she might not have been ok in the fairmont that she normally drove.
    Feeling around the roof and it's edges I wasn't able to feel any bubbling thankfully. Seems pretty solid actually. I'm sorry to hear about your car but glad to hear it served it's purpose in protecting your mom from any harm.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

wow... the extruded nuts are still there too... makes things easier. Take one with you to get the bolts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

fomoco panthers !

You have a pm.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    wow... the extruded nuts are still there too... makes things easier. Take one with you to get the bolts.
    I know right. I didn't expect them to be there either. Probably should pick up new ones because I know they're going to snap the second I try and touch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    You have a pm.
    Thanks. Replied!

So... I did an oil change on the car because I didn't want to even let the engine run with what oil was in it. (It's been sitting since '91). It also has a bad brake line the guy I bought it from crimped so he could move it in his yard. Here are some pics of the nastiness that I found.

Here's what the master cylinder looked like inside. Milkshake brake fluid. I cleaned it out the best I could and filled it with some fresh stuff just so I can stop if I have to move it in the driveway for now.

Name:	IMG_20160106_150110.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	44208

The cap was a pain to get off as well.. I like how the rust bonded to the rubber gasket. I'm going to play it safe and just replace the master cylinder all together at this point. I figure the rubber seals inside are bound to go anyway.

Name:	IMG_20160106_150114.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	44209

Here's what under the oil filler cap looked like. (PCV valve plugs into the top of it.) Milkshake-y... which made me question the head gasket at first but it might just be from condensation as the oil (You'll see below) and coolant didn't look like they mixed.

Name:	IMG_20160106_151617.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	44210

Inside the valve covers has some nice carbon build up. I'm sure it's full of sludge. Once warmer weather comes, I plan on tearing the engine down anyway and freshening things up.

Name:	IMG_20160106_151624.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	44211

AAAaaaand here's the sludge that flowed out of the engine. Had to be at least 25+ years since the last oil change. Never heard of the brand that the oil filter was and it had a parts cross reference number for other brands on it which was sort of cool. I don't think I've seen oil this nasty. The smell alone was awful. It was so thick, when it settled you can see the sky and my garage clear as day in the reflection.

Name:	IMG_20160106_152716.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	44212

So, after the oil change, I topped the coolant off and I wanted to let the car warm up so I could listen to hear if there were any weird sounds from the engine. That went fine, engine sounded fine idling... unfortunately once it got up to temperature the heater core decided to bust and puke all it's coolant out of its box on the firewall. Thankfully none went inside. I guess I'm bypassing that until down the road! (More pressing to-dos)

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

fun with an OLD car.

Yep. Fury had heat for about two weeks before the interior started to smell like waffles.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Cool New headlights

One of the headlights was bad and I had some Amazon points so I picked up two new ones for $3 shipped. I saved the other working one was a backup. Can't complain at that price.

Old bulb: I'm guessing it was probably original judging by the "Canada" stamp on the back.

Name:	IMG_20160109_155056.jpg 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	44225

Name:	IMG_20160109_155105.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	44226

New bulbs I picked up to replace them. The only thing I didn't care for was that the plugs on the back of the light were longer than the ones I took out so the connector couldn't sit all the way snug down to the back of the bulb.

Name:	IMG_20160109_155044.jpg 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	44224

Two screws up top and this trim piece comes right off.

Name:	IMG_20160109_155022.jpg 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	44221

Three screws around the headlight ring holds it in.

Name:	IMG_20160109_155034.jpg 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	44223

Socket headlight sits in

Name:	IMG_20160109_155257.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	44227

New headlight installed. (Notice the rust I'm going to have to address this spring)

Name:	IMG_20160109_155029.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	44222

Cool DIY License Plate Bracket

I also threw together a temporary license plate bracket so not to get a ticket for not having a front plate if I decide to drive around the block.

Picked up some of this metal at Home Depot as well as a trim nut and some nuts and bolts. Bent in an "L" to stick out in front of the bumper.

Name:	IMG_20160109_193555.jpg 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	44235

Used the license plate to figure out how long to make it.

Name:	IMG_20160109_193720.jpg 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	44234

Fastened to the car with a new bolt and trim nut.

Name:	IMG_20160109_195405.jpg 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	44231

Back view of the license plate. I bent it out further so it wouldn't touch the bumper. I'm still thinking of adding maybe some padding or something so that the back of the bolts won't tap the plastic or chrome on bumps.

Name:	IMG_20160109_195358.jpg 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	44233

Finished (temporary) product!

Name:	IMG_20160109_195438.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	44232

That should work just fine. I'd definitely put something over the bolts so they don't scratch/rub your chrome.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm thinking some folding chair feet. If they are available that skinny that is. Most hardware stores have the slip over style rubber feet in 2 or 4 packs. If you can't find those for that skinny of a bolt... large vacuum port caps would probably work too.

Awesome. That's a good idea. I'll see maybe if I have something lying around the house that might work.

Side note, I got my collection of 1978 shop manuals in the mail today and looked up the door code.

Name:	IMG_20160111_192026.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	44242

It appears my car has a C4 and 2.47 rear gears... so that's sort of a bummer. The gears I half expected but was shocked this heavy car didn't get a C6 behind it. I didn't think any barge LTDs got anything but a C6.

Edit: Actually thinking about it the C4 makes sense because in '79 didn't they start using C4s?
    Last edited by slack; 01-11-2016 at 08:32 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast