X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have a pm.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      wow... the extruded nuts are still there too... makes things easier. Take one with you to get the bolts.
      I know right. I didn't expect them to be there either. Probably should pick up new ones because I know they're going to snap the second I try and touch them.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      You have a pm.
      Thanks. Replied!

So... I did an oil change on the car because I didn't want to even let the engine run with what oil was in it. (It's been sitting since '91). It also has a bad brake line the guy I bought it from crimped so he could move it in his yard. Here are some pics of the nastiness that I found.

Here's what the master cylinder looked like inside. Milkshake brake fluid. I cleaned it out the best I could and filled it with some fresh stuff just so I can stop if I have to move it in the driveway for now.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160106_150110.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1278648

The cap was a pain to get off as well.. I like how the rust bonded to the rubber gasket. I'm going to play it safe and just replace the master cylinder all together at this point. I figure the rubber seals inside are bound to go anyway.

Name:	IMG_20160106_150114.jpg
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1278649

Here's what under the oil filler cap looked like. (PCV valve plugs into the top of it.) Milkshake-y... which made me question the head gasket at first but it might just be from condensation as the oil (You'll see below) and coolant didn't look like they mixed.

Name:	IMG_20160106_151617.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1278650

Inside the valve covers has some nice carbon build up. I'm sure it's full of sludge. Once warmer weather comes, I plan on tearing the engine down anyway and freshening things up.

Name:	IMG_20160106_151624.jpg
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	1278651

AAAaaaand here's the sludge that flowed out of the engine. Had to be at least 25+ years since the last oil change. Never heard of the brand that the oil filter was and it had a parts cross reference number for other brands on it which was sort of cool. I don't think I've seen oil this nasty. The smell alone was awful. It was so thick, when it settled you can see the sky and my garage clear as day in the reflection.

Name:	IMG_20160106_152716.jpg
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1278652

So, after the oil change, I topped the coolant off and I wanted to let the car warm up so I could listen to hear if there were any weird sounds from the engine. That went fine, engine sounded fine idling... unfortunately once it got up to temperature the heater core decided to bust and puke all it's coolant out of its box on the firewall. Thankfully none went inside. I guess I'm bypassing that until down the road! (More pressing to-dos)

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

fun with an OLD car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yep. Fury had heat for about two weeks before the interior started to smell like waffles.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

New headlights

One of the headlights was bad and I had some Amazon points so I picked up two new ones for $3 shipped. I saved the other working one was a backup. Can't complain at that price.

Old bulb: I'm guessing it was probably original judging by the "Canada" stamp on the back.

Name:	IMG_20160109_155056.jpg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	1278665

Name:	IMG_20160109_155105.jpg
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1278666

New bulbs I picked up to replace them. The only thing I didn't care for was that the plugs on the back of the light were longer than the ones I took out so the connector couldn't sit all the way snug down to the back of the bulb.

Name:	IMG_20160109_155044.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1278664

Two screws up top and this trim piece comes right off.

Name:	IMG_20160109_155022.jpg
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1278661

Three screws around the headlight ring holds it in.

Name:	IMG_20160109_155034.jpg
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1278663

Socket headlight sits in

Name:	IMG_20160109_155257.jpg
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	1278667

New headlight installed. (Notice the rust I'm going to have to address this spring)

Name:	IMG_20160109_155029.jpg
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1278662

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

DIY License Plate Bracket

I also threw together a temporary license plate bracket so not to get a ticket for not having a front plate if I decide to drive around the block.

Picked up some of this metal at Home Depot as well as a trim nut and some nuts and bolts. Bent in an "L" to stick out in front of the bumper.

Name:	IMG_20160109_193555.jpg
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1278672

Used the license plate to figure out how long to make it.

Name:	IMG_20160109_193720.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1278671

Fastened to the car with a new bolt and trim nut.

Name:	IMG_20160109_195405.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1278668

Back view of the license plate. I bent it out further so it wouldn't touch the bumper. I'm still thinking of adding maybe some padding or something so that the back of the bolts won't tap the plastic or chrome on bumps.

Name:	IMG_20160109_195358.jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1278670

Finished (temporary) product!

Name:	IMG_20160109_195438.jpg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	1278669

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

That should work just fine. I'd definitely put something over the bolts so they don't scratch/rub your chrome.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm thinking some folding chair feet. If they are available that skinny that is. Most hardware stores have the slip over style rubber feet in 2 or 4 packs. If you can't find those for that skinny of a bolt... large vacuum port caps would probably work too.

Comment

Awesome. That's a good idea. I'll see maybe if I have something lying around the house that might work.

Side note, I got my collection of 1978 shop manuals in the mail today and looked up the door code.

Name:	IMG_20160111_192026.jpg
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1278679

It appears my car has a C4 and 2.47 rear gears... so that's sort of a bummer. The gears I half expected but was shocked this heavy car didn't get a C6 behind it. I didn't think any barge LTDs got anything but a C6.

Edit: Actually thinking about it the C4 makes sense because in '79 didn't they start using C4s?
                      Last edited by slack; 01-11-2016, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Cool car man....I would kill to have manual windows in my 78GMQ and the not have the automatic headlight covers.
                        Is kind of a bummer that it has a c4...BTW I have those exact same shop manuels! They are awesome and guard them with your life as the Haynes/CLITons suck.

Take a look at the Transmission Modulator Valve.....and replace that puppy ( easy as hell to do) and you can fine tune it to your shifting preferences.
                        Also, with dat tranny...I pit Type "F" fluid in...you can look into that debate; my C6 loves it.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Power windows auto headlight covers are tits yo, especially in two door cars.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

These rubber bumpers I use around license plate screws and other screws around chrome. 7/8" shepherd screw bumpers, item 19131. They are also available in black.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110210.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1278695

Comment

yes yes yes yes yes... more yes... and then some extra yes to go with it... the world needs these cars saved. glad to see someone who appreciates them got to buy one and save it! i myself am in the very painstakingly process of fixing up my 77 my ol girl has a wore out 351W and the only options mine has is (was) A/C. lol
                              Last edited by marquis_82_withneons; 01-13-2016, 10:09 AM.
                              Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                              Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                              Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                                Cool car man....I would kill to have manual windows in my 78GMQ and the not have the automatic headlight covers.
                                Is kind of a bummer that it has a c4...BTW I have those exact same shop manuels! They are awesome and guard them with your life as the Haynes/CLITons suck.

Take a look at the Transmission Modulator Valve.....and replace that puppy ( easy as hell to do) and you can fine tune it to your shifting preferences.
                                Also, with dat tranny...I pit Type "F" fluid in...you can look into that debate; my C6 loves it.
                                I love crank windows. I know some people don't... but I like the idea that I don't have to worry about some motor blowing out on me. I also wanted an LTD that didn't have the hide away headlamps. It's not that I don't like them, they're just not 100% my style. I'm a sucker for low trimmed cars for some reason.

You're right about the shop manuals, they've already proved to be gold in the short time I've had them. It's amazing how little information on these cars are available on the internet.

Thanks for the info on the modulator valve. Any reason why I should replace it off the bat? Are they known to be DOA on these cars?

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                                Power windows auto headlight covers are tits yo, especially in two door cars.
                                I dig them too, they're just not the style for me for my car.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                                These rubber bumpers I use around license plate screws and other screws around chrome. 7/8" shepherd screw bumpers, item 19131. They are also available in black.[ATTACH=CONFIG]44273[/ATTACH]
                                Awesome! Thanks! I'll pick some up.

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                                yes yes yes yes yes... more yes... and then some extra yes to go with it... the world needs these cars saved. glad to see someone who appreciates them got to buy one and save it! i myself am in the very painstakingly process of fixing up my 77 my ol girl has a wore out 351W and the only options mine has is (was) A/C. lol
                                Haha thanks! Looks like you and I have similar optioned cars. All mine has is A/C as well. Is yours a C6 or C4? Completely agree about saving them. It's amazing that you still see these up for sale from time to time for demo derbies.

Comment

Working...
                                X