Saved from the Demo Derby: 1990 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saved from the Demo Derby: 1990 Country Squire

I look at craigslist and eBay. Searching for stuff I don't need... Or really even want. This is one of those things.

Presenting the 1990 Country Squire. I don't name my cars, but this one is screaming that it's name is Ruby.

The seller knew what to say when he mentioned that other potential buyers were A) demo derby guys, B) Motor/trans pullers and scrap the rest, or C) griswold copy cats. Driving up in my rusted wagon made this one look like a cream puff in the rough. Couldn't let them demo a car that is much better than the one I drive daily, now can I? So it came home.

The bad: not running! Driven about 2000 miles between 2004-2007. Then none at all. It's got 8 year old gas in it that smells like an asphalt plant. Body damage at right taillight and lower rear quarter panel. Broken window on back left door. Non opening front doors from outside. Non opening tailgate. Wire hubcaps... Not a fan.

The good: very decent underneath in terms of rust. Interior should clean up. Body straight other than that mentioned above. Motor is virgin from what I can tell.

1 almost rust spot

Bend in lower rear quarter

Taillight pushed in:

No window:

Door panel off - door lock actuator seized:

Odometer - thinking 130K

Untouched engine - noticed original plug wires and hoses at a glance

Pulled #7 because it was easy to get to. Has some old gas smell from where they tried to get it to run. I'm not even trying to crank it until the fuel system is clean.
    Hasn't run in a while...

Plans for the weekend: get the fuel system cleaned out. Drop tank. May need a new fuel pump? Strainer too I suppose, and of course a fuel filter. Any tips on blowing out the fuel rails with minimum invasive procedures? Then see if we have spark and valves that aren't stuck.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

That thing doesn't look nearly as bad as you made it sound. Hell it's probably cleaner then the wagon I'm driving right now. Ironically it too, was destined to be derbied.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Those hubcaps are cleaner than the ones I had. I don't mind the look of them, I just couldn't stand only having 3 emblems

Comment

Cleaning fuel system - seriously? Why not drain it from fuel filter and fill fresh and go...

Nice wagon for age, location and mileage! You did well - nice work!
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
        03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

+1 on looking much better than expected based on your description. It may not be perfect but it's nicer than anything I've ever owned.

Hopefully 4 or 5 years from now I can stumble across a nice wagon like this (hopefully there will be a few left to stumble upon).

The odometer may have worked up until the point when the car was parked, but I'd bet a dozen doughnuts that it and the trip odo no longer work. You'll need some new gears if you want them to work.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Looks to be in good shape. Hopefully you can find a good place for it. I like the red interior.

Comment

+1 looks way better than you made it sound.

+1 cover that open window with something.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Is that window wagon specific? Looks like it may be.

I love a white wagon with wood on the sides. Combined with the red interior, this thing is sweet.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                  Is that window wagon specific? Looks like it may be.
                  Yep. Wagon rear doors are different from the sedans. They're more upright in the glass.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

You all are encouraging. My wife hates it! She wants me to get rid of it already, but that's not happening yet. If any of you are seriously interested in buying it at any point, please let me know. I really don't need another car but couldn't let this one die in a derby.

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                    That thing doesn't look nearly as bad as you made it sound. Hell it's probably cleaner then the wagon I'm driving right now. Ironically it too, was destined to be derbied.
                    Luckily the seller cared enough to tell the derby guy no. There's a place for derby cars but not ones that are nicer than what we're driving!

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                    Cleaning fuel system - seriously? Why not drain it from fuel filter and fill fresh and go...

Nice wagon for age, location and mileage! You did well - nice work!
                    I am thinking we may have some residue in there. Hopefully not, but I want to check. That stuff is sticky and I don't want it to hang an injector, or even a valve and bend pushrods. Had that happen on an FE pickup one time.

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                    Hopefully 4 or 5 years from now I can stumble across a nice wagon like this (hopefully there will be a few left to stumble upon).

The odometer may have worked up until the point when the car was parked, but I'd bet a dozen doughnuts that it and the trip odo no longer work. You'll need some new gears if you want them to work.
                    They are getting rare around here. Especially the wagons. I've got inspection tickets that show very gradual mileage increases since 2004ish through 2008ish when the PO stopped driving it completely. It's different from what it reads now by a little bit, so I am hoping it's working. Previous owner that had it from Sept to now wrote 162,845 actual as the odometer reading. Too bad that's impossible with a 5 digit odometer, and inspection tickets to prove the odometer hasn't been changed recently. Guess I will have to title it as not actual miles instead of exceeds.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Looks better then you made it out to be.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

So what if it needs some TLC. Another one saved from destruction. Good score.
                        1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                          He probably was worried one of us would buy it out from under him. =-)

Not a bad score at all Tiggie.

Alex.

Comment

If your wife hates it now. Just polish it out. Paint with washable paint " I LOVE YOU" on the side window in her favorite color. Bring her a dozen of flowers and arrange them for her. It will put her in a better mood.

Comment

Looks pretty decent! Awesome save from the derby. Any plans on making this your new daily driver?

I agree with the others, getting that window glass for the back door might be a bit annoying but should be do-able.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X