No announcement yet.

Saved from the Demo Derby: 1990 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would drop the tank and either replace it, or clean it really well. Really well. This was a major issue on my white coupe. It sat, and I *though* I cleaned the tank well. Filled with a box of drywall screws and a gallon of acetone I shook the hell out of it for a half hour. It wasn't clean enough, and I suffered issues with plugged fuel filters for a really long time. Unbelievably aggravating.

I'd probably also get at least a couple filters. Maybe pull the injectors and clean the rails out, new o rings, and make sure the injectors aren't FUBAR. With the tank clean, rig the pump to run with the rails unplugged and make sure you're getting clean gas; flush the line so to speak. Provided the rest of the fluids are good, give it a whirl.

As for wifey not falling in love it... women! She's not my wife yet, but I got a heaping helping of nonsense when I brought my highboy home (probably because I still had my Dodge). "Why do you need 2 trucks and a daily driver???" I told her the Dodge would go as soon as I could sell it (and it did), but that I couldn't pass up on such a rust free example . Opportunity knocks but once, whether you have other stuff going on or not. When I sold the truck in October I think she was more upset than me. She will come around.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      If your wife hates it now. Just polish it out. Paint with washable paint " I LOVE YOU" on the side window in her favorite color. Bring her a dozen of flowers and arrange them for her. It will put her in a better mood.
      Her birthday is Saturday and I was going to get her flowers anyway...

Originally posted by slack View Post
      Looks pretty decent! Awesome save from the derby. Any plans on making this your new daily driver?

I agree with the others, getting that window glass for the back door might be a bit annoying but should be do-able.
      No plans for a daily yet. Until the red one gives up the ghost. IF I keep it for an extended length of time, it will eventually replace the red one but as a nicer cruiser that I can actually take to a cruise night without people vomiting over the wavy sides of the red one.

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
      I would drop the tank and either replace it, or clean it really well. Really well. This was a major issue on my white coupe. It sat, and I *though* I cleaned the tank well. Filled with a box of drywall screws and a gallon of acetone I shook the hell out of it for a half hour. It wasn't clean enough, and I suffered issues with plugged fuel filters for a really long time. Unbelievably aggravating.
      Going to try to clean it out, but I may just buy a new tank if its too bad. $115 bucks would be money well spent I think. Good tip on the filters - will get several.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Looks like a gem to me! I hate the thought of these beauties going to the crusher, unless it's a totally rusted-out shitbox. Even then, let us pillage it for useful parts first

Comment

If you keep it consider getting a 140MPH CVPI speedo and doing the odo and trip gears in it instead.
          And while you're at it change it over to a six digit odo. at the same time.
          nice wagon and easily fixed!

Comment

You might be able to buy a brand new tank and pump from rock auto fairly reasonable.

Spectra which is Canadian made $230 for tank and pump $100 for just the tank.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

the best part about this is hearing/seeing that one has been saved... we all sincerely thank you
              Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
              Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
              Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Washed the decade of moss and mold off this. Nope - no pics of it clean. No time - it was the wife's birthday and spending more time with the car than her wouldn't go over well right now.

FYI if you have green moss growing on your car that looks like the kind on 150 year old white oaks in the forest, its's eating your paint. Paint looks really good except those spots where the moss was. Imagine bird crap x100. Pics tomorrow if it don't snow.

Was worried about the floorboard on that broken window door. A little difficult to see but it's pretty white paint under that cranberry carpet.

Also worried about the spare tire well. I looked as best as I could before buying but the tailgate didn't open and it looked good from the bottom side, so I took a chance. It was a little scary to see a studded snow tire as the spare. What should have been a 215/75/14 spare was a 225/75/15 and it was a royal pain to get out. The surface rust on the jack scared me more, but alas the well looked great. I didn't clean it before this pic. Very pleased.

Speaking of surface rust, lots of the interior stuff in the car has it. I assume from sitting and sweating from time to time. I don't think the window has been out that long.

Also, clean ashtrays are nice.

One of my favorite things to do when getting a new used car is digging through all the junk inside. Best find today was a set of keys to the car that the PO missed and had to hire a locksmith to make new keys. Under the back seat. Found a newspaper from 2004. Also a Virginia Tech football ticket from 2001. 15 cents. Chalk. A coupon for french's onion straws that expired in 1994.

Got a better look at inspection tickets today. If the five, only 3 go to this car. The other two are for. 1987 P73. Odometer readings:
                3/12/2003 - 30041
                4/29/2004 - 30192
                1/20/2006 - 30371
                Today - 30408. It was last inspected in 2008.
                When these odometers quit, do they stop completely or just mostly. Trying to figure out if these are real miles or just a random broken odometer trying to work.

Also - the fuel gauge says almost full key on or off. Do these cars keep a last known fuel reading with the key off? If so 15 gallons of nasty gas will soon be headed my way.

Final thing - I don't have a key to the wheel cover locks. Are all boxes the same? Anyone got one to spare or ideas for getting the locks lose?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	1278756Click image for larger version

Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1278757Click image for larger version

Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	1278758Click image for larger version

Size:	894.2 KB
ID:	1278759Click image for larger version

Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1278760

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Even better than the clean ashtray is a clean ashtray with cup holders from an aero (if you prefer that sort of thing). The felt on my cup holders looked like they had never been used. I'm actually impressed with how well the cup holders work for fastfood cups. You do need to get the entire mounting tray/plate that the cup holder ashtray mounts in.

The odo gears usually completely give up, but if only one tooth has broken off I suppose it could possibly catch and run for a bit. Very unlikely but I suppose it could be possible. Usually if one tooth breaks more are sure to follow as the gears basically turn to wax.

Haven't had a stock cluster in my '91 for a while, but iirc I think the fuel gauge needle did not drop to empty like the '89 and down boxes. I don't recall if it actually matched the fuel level with the key off though.

The key for those wire wheel hubcaps are the same for all boxes, I've only got one and currently use it as I am running those same wheels/hubcaps. I should poke around my dad's stash and see if he has an extra one; he doesn't have any panthers anymore so the parts are basically mine.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I have the one from my 88... but you can use a dremel/grinder to cut a flat in the top of the bolt and use a screwdriver to get them off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The gas gauge on those clusters just kinda fall towards the center of the gauge when the car is off. Key on will give you the correct reading.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Do these cars keep a last known fuel reading with the key off?
                        Per my '91 owners manual: When you turn the ignition off the pointer stays in its position to let you know how much gas is in the tank even when the vehicle is turned off. Glad you were able to save this one from the scrap heap. Keep up the good work!

Matt

Comment

my 93 is supposed to do that. It drifts towards center though. Takes it a few days to do it though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Subzero wind chills are making fuel tank dropping and clean out a episode of no fun. Wish this was in my garage so progress could be made. It remains a non runner.

When junkyarding today to all the local yards. No wagons. Six boxes total. Four CV sedans - 85, 86, 84, 90. One Merc sedan - 88/89 don't remember. An a '80 Mark four door.

Got a bezel for the drivers window switch dude face broke while trying to get the door lock actuator to work. Merc gave me its battery hold down, rear floormats, and rear wimpy sway bar.

Click image for larger version

Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	1278780

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

wimpy sway bar is better than no sway bar
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                wimpy sway bar is better than no sway bar
                                My thoughts exactly. I think the era of finding a police box are done in my area. Haven't seen one in several years. Plus this wimpy one was not rusty and the car was in the air ready to go!

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                                X