No announcement yet.

Saved from the Demo Derby: 1990 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to a very generous GMN member who just ran a vin check for me.

I need your help with the guess the mileage game.

Evidence:
    Inspection Reciepts:
    3/12/2003 - 30041
    4/29/2004 - 30192
    1/20/2006 - 30371

From the VIN report:
    12/06/1989 - 5
    12/30/1994 - 43,179 (auto auction)
    09/30/2002 - 130,000 (title change) (it's a five digit odometer)
    09/11/2015 - 163,472 (doushe bag previous owner went to the DMV without the reading is my guess)

Today 30,408 odometer not working.

I knew the tires were old - the date code is 204. Which is 20th Week of 1994 since they went to four digit codes around 2000. They are about 20% left in terms of tread.

It's my guess we are right at 130,415ish and this car really hasn't seen much road time since 2002.

Also - it says four owners. The original until 1994 (five years), second from then to 2015, the third is the guy I got it from who didn't do anything to it, and then me.
    Last edited by Tiggie; 06-02-2016, 08:38 PM.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I'd wager over 200K if the odo isn't working and the last two marks are guesses on the part of the owners. Kinda like my 93 (odo didn't mark for over a year). We drove 40-50K miles while the odo was out. Puts the car at about 200K + what's on the digital I swapped in.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Decided to do a brake exploration this morning.

First - Scary 1994 tire. Time to pull out the older studded snow spare for safety sake.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1280491

Second I a greeted by a snail shell, along with a billion spiders hiding in/on/behind/in between the wheel covers.

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1280492

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1280494

Then I realize there is one wheel that has the tabs for dog dishes - maybe this was the original spare rim? It is a ford wheel.

Name:	IMG_0194.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1280493

I suspected the rear brakes would be crusty/wet because I could tell the rear wheels didn't like turning. Got a nice surprise - both sides looked like this. Pulled the rubber caps on the wheel cylinders and they weren't wet at all. I backed the adjustment off since they were so tight. Figured a sticky wheel cylinder.

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	1280495

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1280496

Then I got the bright idea of swapping a decent set of wheels/tires on, and actually driving this at highway speeds for the first time. Then I realized I only had three of those wheels. Hmmm... the studded snow spare would be #4.

So off came the front wheels for the tire swap to continue. Again - newer calipers, hoses, and pads. Date code on the hose looks to be 2006. So maybe the word is not new but unused.

Name:	IMG_0198.jpg
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1280497

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1280498

And then it was drive time.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Drive time report:

Drove about ten miles.
          Bad:
          - Needs wheel cylinders and brake calipers. Both are dragging more than they should. Hints of brake smell and hot hot drums and one caliper
          - Its quiet. too quiet

Good:
          - Ran fine, cooled fine (it was 92 out).
          - Its quiet. nice and quiet.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1280749Click image for larger version

Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	1280750Click image for larger version

Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	1280751Decided to trouble shoot the non functional blower motor. It was getting 12V at the connector. Pulled the motor. Found this. Got the motor out and forced it to turn. It works but draws like 40 amps. Time for a replacement.

I don't get this inside rust thing. There is no mud or dirt in the HVAC but it sure looks like this motor has been wet before.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

humid area car. My 93 is kinda like that. outside is rust free. under the dash is a different story. The blower wasn't that bad when if got changed though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Name:	IMG_0734.jpg
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	1281749

Got some stuff for this thing today.

Nice dome light, lock actuators, tow package trans and power steering coolers, trans cooler lines just because, rear shocks.

Also attempted to clean turbines but family duty called. Turbines came from Nick (TecNickel). Interior gray parts seem like they'll clean up. Need to do some refinishing to the clear on the rims and turbine edges as they are 30 years old at this point. Ideas? Clear paints don't stick to polished aluminum too well. I have some nice Ford caps for the turbines.

Buying a carport this month for it. Don't let that trick you into thinking this is not for sale! Or something.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Shit I can see those turbines look better than the ones I sent Derek. Now I really feel like a dick. Those power steering "coolers" are funny. Just found out my car has one, as well as an auxiliary trans cooler. Have literally spent almost no time under the hood on this car. The last one I was all over. Haven't even pulled the plugs on this one to see what they look like. What a jerk. Glad you saved this wagon Tigs, I think I may need to get one too.

Comment

This car has come a long way!

White over red is a good look.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Good to see those being used instead of sitting on the side of my garage under lean to hanging out with the leaves and spiders.
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Progress today. I think this needs to be usable car instead of a yard ornament.

Replaced almost new 9 year old wheel cylinders with new ones (old were frozen from the slumber period).

Front calipers were next. Decided to repack front wheel bearings too which took a bit longer than expected, so only got one side done before I said “screw this it’s cold”.

Supposed to be colder tomorrow. Might do the other side Friday. The highs are pretty much the average low for this time of year. Figures since I have some time off!

Gonna try to register and insure this as a limited use classic. The registration is no problem, the only qualification in VA is that it be 25 years old. The insurance is the challenge. They need pictures and the weathered woodgrain patina isn’t desirable for a 1990 as it would be for a 1955.

Very much considering a roll of contact paper as a temp solution. Would look the part and since it’s not out in the weather or driven in anything wet. May hold up for a year or more? $25 for the one bad side sounds much better than the $685 for the correct 3M Dinoc, at this time. Would save me $300 a year on car insurance if it qualifies for Classic, so that would pay for real dinoc in a couple years when I am ready for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Progress!

I skimmed through the thread and saw a link to your fuel level sending unit repair thread. A sending unit from an '89 TC (analog dash for sure, but I would imagine digital used the same unit that year ('88- digital dash sending units had a wider resistance range up to like 220ohms IIRC)) will work for you if you ever need a replacement. Unlike all the other '79-'89 boxes, '89 TC's did not use the old resistance range, they used the new resistance range like '90+.
                          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 12-27-2017, 09:28 PM.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            Progress!

I skimmed through the thread and saw a link to your fuel level sending unit repair thread. A sending unit from an '89 TC (analog dash for sure, but I would imagine digital used the same unit that year ('88- digital dash sending units had a wider resistance range up to like 220ohms IIRC)) will work for you if you ever need a replacement. Unlike all the other '79-'89 boxes, '89 TC's did not use the old resistance range, they used the new resistance range like '90+.
                            AllData suggested that the 89 TC could be had with two different resistance ranges depending on gauge type; one of which is the 90+ range and one of which is the normal box range.

I was not able to conclude with certainty which was which, and AllData is also not always dependable given that it's based on interpretations of factory shop manuals, not the direct text of the shop manuals themselves.

Also...given the context of the wheel cylinders: am I understanding correctly that 10" and 11" drums use the same wheel cylinders, the 11s just have a longer little leg thing that pushes on the shoes (which is not an integral part of the WC itself)?

Some brands list one part for 10 and another for 11, but some brands list the same for both.
                            Last edited by kishy; 12-27-2017, 09:45 PM.

Current driver: wagon
                            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                            | 88 TC | 91 GM
                            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

That's right, you mentioned that in another thread about the Alldata info. I think one possible explanation that was mentioned was that there could have been a mid year change which might account for the two different sending units listed in Alldata. If that is the case the older units should be the metal half circle housing for the resistor and float arm axis while the newer '90+ (wagon) compatible units will have the plastic housing. Easy to ID that way if pulling one from a TC in the JY, but you'll still want to check the resistance range. I bring my cheap HF multi-meter to make sure the range is correct.

'89 TC on the left, Old box (with leaky float) on the right below:
                              The float and float arm are different, but it will work.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Will keep that in mind about the TC sending units. I suspect this one will prove flaky given how awful the fuel system was on the car. The old fuel dissolved the float or either it never had one factory... so yeah.

No wind today but cold as forecasted. Got the final wheel bearings cleaned and repacked, new caliper and all four wheels on the ground. Brakes seemed to gravity bleed but haven’t stepped on the pedal yet.
                                Yesterday’s front wheel bearings had been messed with before, today’s was pure virgin. 27 year old grease:

Rotor pitting from the slumber period I suppose:

Got to tighten the adjustment on the rear brakes a bit but otherwise brakes are hopefully done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                                X