PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driveshafts

Default Driveshafts

In my upcoming quest, I am on the lookout for another aluminum driveshaft. I know a later one will work, but how much of a difference in length is there? What years used a short driveshaft (referring to later model cars).

i have to make up 5/8" by use of the UPR driveshaft spacer already. I would LOVe to snag a MMX driveshaft but I have read that they are too short.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

I'd say Panterra77 might be most likely to have an answer.

He has comparison pictures of driveshafts in the last 2 pics of this post:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post759431

This post from the same thread might be more along the lines of the info you seek:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post759504
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

White collar, and a red neck P72Ford's Avatar

Tom, what was in the white coupe? I suspected that it was a little short, but not short enough to matter. It worked perfectly! Suspension was a little lower, but I don't imagine that was the only thing that made it useable.
    **1965 Ford Mustang Coupe: Currently on the Rotisserie, 306/T5/4.10s Long Term Street/ Strip Project
    **1990 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback: 5.0, 5 spd, 4.10s; 30K original miles Cruiser
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0, 6 spd, 3.73s; 17K miles Cruiser
    **2008 CVPI, Ex MSP Unit #420: 4.6, 3.55TL Flowmaster 10 knock offs, dark tint, JD Blitz Black, DD, CHALKBOARD
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG): 103, Cobra Speedsters, Cosmetics
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express 4WD Hemi/8spd TF/3L21 Truck Duties; Boesch Built, Cosmetics

John has an MMX driveshaft on his car, I don't believe he used any sort of spacer. Try seeing what he has to say. I'm using a late 90's aluminum police driveshaft on my 82, no problems, just swapped the yoke, even the U-joints were the same. (it fits the 8.8, would have had an issue with the 8.5)
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

You can use an MMX, just need to run a spacer to make up the difference.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Is running an mmx shaft with a spacer more adviseable than a stock steel shaft? Not trying to be comrade question here, just wondering if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

I have the P71 aluminum driveshaft confirmed by the paint rings.
    MMX shafts have Pink/Green or Pink/Green/Blue bands. You can find a whole bunch of new ones on ebay for a ridiculous amount of money. XW7Z-4602-AA is the part number.
    If you can confirm with the seller via picture the colors of the rings on the driveshaft you can probably get one for 125 or so.
    Last edited by 86VickyLX; 01-15-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Gone! But Parts from it will live on in others!

http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothvic/drivel...t-tsb99181.pdf If you go fast a lot you should consider changing it.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Blue

Let's throw a wrench in here; what driveshaft upgrade options work on on the Lincolns? Were they the same underneath 'cept for the longer tailshaft housing on the tranny?

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by P72Ford View Post
    Tom, what was in the white coupe? I suspected that it was a little short, but not short enough to matter. It worked perfectly! Suspension was a little lower, but I don't imagine that was the only thing that made it useable.
    I think it was from a 95 or so P71. If I can find another, I am using it.

What year did they change the diameter of the yoke? I know later whales won't fit in early aeros (regardless of driveshaft length)... or is that some misinformation I've been fed?

The ballancer equipped yoke on my 93 is starting to fall apart. I'll need to replace it soonish.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    Let's throw a wrench in here; what driveshaft upgrade options work on on the Lincolns? Were they the same underneath 'cept for the longer tailshaft housing on the tranny?
    Custom or Aluminum TownCar shaft (Pretty fucking rare btw). What is the length of the box TownCar driveshaft while we're talking about it?

Vicky
    Blue

Later whales got the bigger 1350 universal joint front and rear. Not sure what year the changeover was, but I want to say 2006. If yoke splines did not change and the axle flange did not change, it would be a nice upgrade to stronger ujoints.

[back from a look at Rockauto.
    upto 6/18/06 is the 1330 ujoint.
    from 6/19/06 is the bigger 1350 joint.]

Alex.
    Last edited by GM_Guy; 01-15-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I have heard of a Thunderbird driveshaft being used on a Town Car, correct length but I don't know what year/configuration it was.
    http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...Number=2731666
    Last edited by BlackVic_P71; 01-15-2016 at 05:26 PM.
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

I keep reading the 4r7xw yoke is different from the AOD/C4/T5/shit tone of other transmissions... but the AODE seems to be an enigma. I can't find anything definitive about that one. I think the splines are the same, but the yoke is thicker on the 4R7x. I kinda wish I had kept the driveshaft instead of letting Nick have it when he bought the Lincoln. Tuned out that it had the long tailshaft housing and needed the shorter driveshaft. I could test fit that yoke without having to disable 2 cars at once. And I really want to get rid of that balancer yoke BS. I may end up having to get a high speed balanced shaft and there's a shop over near Fort Worth that does just that. But if I can just fit a yoke I can get off the shelf to a better driveshaft, that would work much better.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

1330 1350 conversion ujoints exist, so mix 'n match yokes and late shafts shouldn't be an issue.

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by GM_Guy View Post
    1330 1350 conversion ujoints exist, so mix 'n match yokes and late shafts shouldn't be an issue.

Alex.
    Pretty much. I have used them in the past. I wish I had done better documentation of when we put that driveshaft in the white car...

I suffer from that. Information I figure I'll remember forever, then a ringer part comes along and screws up all that carefully tucked away in dusty memory banks.

some measurements here;
    http://www.pontiacperformance.net/Te...haft_Swap.html

Police aluminum shaft is shorter, 1" is often cited on cvn, above says 3/4". One big problem is, very few people know the right way to measure a driveshaft so measurments are all over the place.
    And I snagged this pic off of cvn, it is a 2005 civilian steel shaft next to a box wagon steel shaft, same length. You will need to retain the aod yoke though regardless of what shaft you end up with.

Alex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cvgm 2005 shaft vs box wagon shaft DSCF3202.jpg  
    Last edited by GM_Guy; 01-17-2016 at 03:43 PM.

While we're on the subject of yokes. There are two different size yokes on the differential. There's the small one that's found on non heavy duty box applications, and the larger one (standard) that is used up until the end of production.

Vicky
    Blue

To clarify. According to the fordparts.com website, the MMC driveshaft is available only in late model 1999 (or TSB revised early 99), 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 Police interceptor models. With I'm figuring 3.55 rear axle.

Vicky
    Blue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast