No announcement yet.

Driveshafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1330 1350 conversion ujoints exist, so mix 'n match yokes and late shafts shouldn't be an issue.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
      1330 1350 conversion ujoints exist, so mix 'n match yokes and late shafts shouldn't be an issue.

Alex.
      Pretty much. I have used them in the past. I wish I had done better documentation of when we put that driveshaft in the white car...
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I suffer from that. Information I figure I'll remember forever, then a ringer part comes along and screws up all that carefully tucked away in dusty memory banks.

some measurements here;
        http://www.pontiacperformance.net/Te...haft_Swap.html

Police aluminum shaft is shorter, 1" is often cited on cvn, above says 3/4". One big problem is, very few people know the right way to measure a driveshaft so measurments are all over the place.
        And I snagged this pic off of cvn, it is a 2005 civilian steel shaft next to a box wagon steel shaft, same length. You will need to retain the aod yoke though regardless of what shaft you end up with.

Alex.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by GM_Guy; 01-17-2016, 04:43 PM.

Comment

While we're on the subject of yokes. There are two different size yokes on the differential. There's the small one that's found on non heavy duty box applications, and the larger one (standard) that is used up until the end of production.

Comment

To clarify. According to the fordparts.com website, the MMC driveshaft is available only in late model 1999 (or TSB revised early 99), 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 Police interceptor models. With I'm figuring 3.55 rear axle.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              To clarify. According to the fordparts.com website, the MMC driveshaft is available only in late model 1999 (or TSB revised early 99), 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 Police interceptor models. With I'm figuring 3.55 rear axle.
              I thought it was only 99/00 or maybe 01. I don't think they ever made it to the later model cars.

Find a MMC, swap over the slip yolk with a factory AOD one and conversion U joints, swap over the pinion flange on the 79-89 to the larger 90+ style, run a 3/4 fabtech spacer, and you now have a driveshaft that will handle whatever you throw at it.

Stock 89 shaft
              Stock 91 shaft
              Stock 04 civ shaft
              MMC

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Denny's driveshaft makes great stuff if you want to take a look at the custom route... if you talk to them, they were great to deal with and whatever lengths/yokes you need, they did mine to perfection.
                Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

My wagon driveshaft standing up next to an '07 aluminum driveshaft.
                  1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
                    My wagon driveshaft standing up next to an '07 aluminum driveshaft.
                    Cool! Are you using it? Conversion u joints?

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                      Cool! Are you using it? Conversion u joints?
                      Yeah, 1330/1350 u-joint at the trans yoke(not the original yoke) and 1350/1350 at the tail end. The original u-joints are 1310 but I bought a Ford AOD yoke which uses a 1330 joint.
                      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Looks like I might score one on Sat, then

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                          I thought it was only 99/00 or maybe 01. I don't think they ever made it to the later model cars.

Find a MMC, swap over the slip yolk with a factory AOD one and conversion U joints, swap over the pinion flange on the 79-89 to the larger 90+ style, run a 3/4 fabtech spacer, and you now have a driveshaft that will handle whatever you throw at it.

Stock 89 shaft
                          Stock 91 shaft
                          Stock 04 civ shaft
                          MMC

I'm just going by the listings on the website of what had it and what didn't. I see that the issue with length lies in the slip yoke itself.

Comment

as far as the civi shafts... yeah. Apparently I just need an AOD slip yoke to replace the slowly disintegrating balancer type on my 93 (same yoke as that 04 civ shaft in the pic but a 3.5" aluminum shaft... or so it looks like).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                              as far as the civi shafts... yeah. Apparently I just need an AOD slip yoke to replace the slowly disintegrating balancer type on my 93 (same yoke as that 04 civ shaft in the pic but a 3.5" aluminum shaft... or so it looks like).
                              The AODE and the AOD share the same tailshaft splines and the extension housing is the same?

Comment

I think so... if not, it's really f'n close.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X