Fuel Tank Removal and Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Tank Removal and Installation

I am getting ready to pull the tank on the 90 wagon. Never pulled a wagon tank before. Any specific tips On what I should look out for?

If the gauge is right, it's got 15 gallons or so. Should be fun.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

My '91 MGM sat for about 6 years before I bought it in 2012, my dad and I pulled the tank after the in-tank hose blew. I just siphoned the gas out before dropping it, made things much easier. With a clear hose that my dad I was able to spare myself a mouth full of gas since I didn't have a pump, although I suppose a vacuum would have worked.

I know wagon tanks are different than sedan tanks, but I don't remember anything out of the ordinary when dropping the tank on my '91. Make sure to remember to unbolt the filler neck and don't damage the gasket thing where the filler neck meets the tank.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Same procedure.

Comment

+1 unbolt the filler neck. And it will NOT clear with the tank in place so remember to get it seated with a NEW seal in the tank before shoving the tank back all the way up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Get the gas out of it first if you can. They blow to drop when nearly full.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X