Hello, everyone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, everyone.

Hi there. First off, I have to say that I'm one of those guys that decided to join a platform-specific forum dedicated to a platform which I do not currently own. No wait, let me explain...

A little background on myself: I'm in the military currently stationed overseas; I'll be relocating back stateside with my family in a few weeks. Second order of business (after finding a place to live) is to get my hands on a 1986-1991 LTD Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis. I'd like an '86-'91 since I want a car with factory SEFI, however, I would definitely prefer a '90-'91 (I just like the dash better).

Around early-'01 when I was a young, stupid teenager, I was driving my parents' '89 Aerostar when someone pulled in front of me and totaled it (last accident I ever had where I wasn't at fault). As a replacement, my dad found a well-used and not so nicely kept up '91 CV. I didn't really care for that car at the time (I really wanted a Mustang), but I did like the way it drove. In hindsight, it was a really great car aside from the badly slipping AOD and oil-burning engine in dire need of new valve seals. I ended up getting my Mustang (a '94 GT coupe, 5-speed) in April of '02 with a combination of savings from my first job and some inheritance money from my late grandmother. My dad ended up getting a paltry $700 at the dealer for the CV when he traded it in on a brand new '02 Mustang GT (that he bought because he liked driving my '94) Turns out that a teen can get into a lot of trouble even with barely 200 horsepower to the wheels; the '94 GT was totaled about a year and a half after I bought it. Since then I have owned three other Mustangs, one of which I still own (a '95 Cobra coupe) and a '96 F-150 (black, 4x4, 5.0/E4OD, red interior, single cab; a beautiful little short box I sold shortly before heading overseas). Yet, that '91 CV has always occupied a special place in the back of my mind through the years of Mustangs and truck. I am itching to get my hands on another box once we get back stateside.

That being said, I hope it doesn't take me forever to get one since I joined this forum and all. The good news is that they are still (somewhat) plentiful at good prices. Hopefully it stays that way.

The name is John.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

That is my story. Granted I am a bit younger than you (started driving in '13), but my mom's 88 stuck in my mind. I'll trade you my 86 for the cobra if you want LOL. Anyways, ask away about anything you need to know. Hope to see you in one of our old dinos soon.

Now I think the 90-91 had a whole 160 hp with a dual exhaust. Soo keep that in mind.

Comment

Welcome!

Ever since I could drive I've always had a box panther. After more than a decade in '87-'89 boxes I wasn't sure about the new dash and steering wheel of '91 that I bought back in October 2012. I've gotten used to it now and can say that I also prefer the newer dash. Much easier to change a heater core (may be my opinion) and with some wiring and minor physical modification, I was able to install a '98-'02 P71 cluster. If I tried to install that on an older box I probably would give up due to the physical modifications required.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Firstly, welcome to the club! I started out with mustangs(3 foxes), a fox mercury wagon, a brief Volkswagen stage, then bought my first panther. When I found out my better half was pregnant with twins, it was time to ditch the shitboxes and get a reliable, but not boring, v8 sedan. I purchased a '98 police interceptor and the affair was on. Messed around with that car a bit but I kind of have an obsession with '80s-type cars, and figured a box was a good fit because I kinda know my way around the 5.0 having owned mustangs.

Fate saw fit to drop my '90 right in my lap and right about the time I was looking to buy a box. Almost a year later and a little bit of modding, I'm just as in love with her and working toward doing some serious fun stuff to old gal soon. Anyhow, enough rambling, once you land and get settled, let us know and we'll find you a suitable boat to cruise around in.

Comment

Welcome!

A 302 HO from a similar era mustang is practically a direct swap. Get the engine, fuel pump & computer from a Mark VII and you're pretty much all set save for some minor modification. Spring for a 1990 Town Car. Those could be had with ABS & true air ride in the rear.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Hey! I am currently temporarily overseas myself, Air Force.

Where you coming from, and where you headed?
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
              Hey! I am currently temporarily overseas myself, Air Force.

Where you coming from, and where you headed?
              Also Air Force, coming from Ramstein to Sheppard AFB.

You're temporarily overseas and your location is listed as Dyess...I think I can guess which undisclosed location you're at. Maintainer? B-1? C-130?
              —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                Also Air Force, coming from Ramstein to Sheppard AFB.

You're temporarily overseas and your location is listed as Dyess...I think I can guess which undisclosed location you're at. Maintainer? B-1? C-130?
                You have a PM.

Comment

Welcome.

I wonder if I'm among the seemingly few here who have never owned a Mustang. In fact I've never owned a Ford or a Mercury either. I've had three Lincolns though, the Towncar and the Mark VII I still have and the '88 Mark VII that I owned for 6 days, just long enough to extract the engine from it and send it to the junkyard. I still have that engine too, its in the Towncar. I'm that weird breed of car guy that hasn't actually had very many cars. Excluding the motor donor, I've owned a total of 6 since 1998 and I still own 3 of them.

I should be a Republican.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've not owned a mustang either. I prefer all parts of the car to be functional... including the back seat... for adults... comfortably.

And to the OP... happy hunting. There's a few nice ones popping up (getting into tax season... time to start posting up those cars for sale).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've never owned a Mustang either. Buut, if all the other cars don't pan out we might scoop this up: https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5387248341.html
                      To me it's not a mustang, it's just a rwd four banger beater car. Always thought that era looked kinda flaccid too, at least when they had quad headlights they had more of a sporty appeal but with that front end they look like inflated tempos or Tauri.

Comment

Welcome!

I think it certainly helps once you drive one of these cars. Comfortable as most would expect, but drive really well and can be made to handle fairly well for their size with minimal work.

As far as the Mustangs, I've got two - a '68 under full restoration and a '94 GT. My wagon drives much better than the '94! But the '94 is more pleasing to drive in a quick manner. Always wanted a 5.0L SN-95 Cobra but never found one that was affordable and not beat.

Looking for a two door, four door, or wagon? I have a '90 wagon I stumbled into that I could part with. It's a stripper Country Squire.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Gonna be so awesome to have another Box friend in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            Welcome!

Ever since I could drive I've always had a box panther. After more than a decade in '87-'89 boxes I wasn't sure about the new dash and steering wheel of '91 that I bought back in October 2012. I've gotten used to it now and can say that I also prefer the newer dash. Much easier to change a heater core (may be my opinion) and with some wiring and minor physical modification, I was able to install a '98-'02 P71 cluster. If I tried to install that on an older box I probably would give up due to the physical modifications required.
                            A '98-'02 Cluster sounds like a really nice mod for a box car. My one contention with the older cars is that old-school horizontal speedometer. One reason I prefer the '90-'91 dash over the earlier ones is much smaller amount of "wood grain" used. All the fake wood grain in '80s interiors is like a holdover from the '70s interiors.

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                            Firstly, welcome to the club! I started out with mustangs(3 foxes), a fox mercury wagon, a brief Volkswagen stage, then bought my first panther. When I found out my better half was pregnant with twins, it was time to ditch the shitboxes and get a reliable, but not boring, v8 sedan. I purchased a '98 police interceptor and the affair was on. Messed around with that car a bit but I kind of have an obsession with '80s-type cars, and figured a box was a good fit because I kinda know my way around the 5.0 having owned mustangs.

Fate saw fit to drop my '90 right in my lap and right about the time I was looking to buy a box. Almost a year later and a little bit of modding, I'm just as in love with her and working toward doing some serious fun stuff to old gal soon. Anyhow, enough rambling, once you land and get settled, let us know and we'll find you a suitable boat to cruise around in.
                            I'm with you on the '80s car obsession. I like the '98+ cars, but I'm just much more drawn to the boxes. My dad owns a 2000 PI that he got for free. Driving that car when I last visited the states is what made me want another panther.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            Welcome!

A 302 HO from a similar era mustang is practically a direct swap. Get the engine, fuel pump & computer from a Mark VII and you're pretty much all set save for some minor modification. Spring for a 1990 Town Car. Those could be had with ABS & true air ride in the rear.
                            Thanks for the insights. I have considered a Town Car as well, but I honestly cannot stand leather and/or vinyl seats. Seems like nearly 100% of TCs I see for sale have them.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Welcome.

I wonder if I'm among the seemingly few here who have never owned a Mustang. In fact I've never owned a Ford or a Mercury either. I've had three Lincolns though, the Towncar and the Mark VII I still have and the '88 Mark VII that I owned for 6 days, just long enough to extract the engine from it and send it to the junkyard. I still have that engine too, its in the Towncar. I'm that weird breed of car guy that hasn't actually had very many cars. Excluding the motor donor, I've owned a total of 6 since 1998 and I still own 3 of them.

I should be a Republican.
                            I hadn't really owned that many vehicles either until we moved to Germany. I've had a string of beater cars over here (mostly VWs).

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            I've not owned a mustang either. I prefer all parts of the car to be functional... including the back seat... for adults... comfortably.

And to the OP... happy hunting. There's a few nice ones popping up (getting into tax season... time to start posting up those cars for sale).
                            That's why every set of Mustang seats for sale always has a mint rear seat.

I've noticed that the boxes, like many other '80s cars, have reached that grey area where they're starting to be considered classics. A lot of nice cars that I see online with fewer than 100k have asking prices way above $5000 and higher. It's starting to get ridiculous. Fox Mustangs are the same way now.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            I've never owned a Mustang either. Buut, if all the other cars don't pan out we might scoop this up: https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5387248341.html
                            To me it's not a mustang, it's just a rwd four banger beater car. Always thought that era looked kinda flaccid too, at least when they had quad headlights they had more of a sporty appeal but with that front end they look like inflated tempos or Tauri.
                            I'm with you on the looks of the '87-'93. I definitely prefer the four-eyes as well. Most people prefer the aeros. Ironically, those people (the die-hard, '87-'93 Fox owners) have crowned themselves the arbiter of what a Mustang should look like. There was a whole lot of posts online saying something to the effect of "looks like a Fusion" when the '15 Mustang was unveiled. These guys seem to forget that their beloved foxes look like a Taurus.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                            Welcome!

I think it certainly helps once you drive one of these cars. Comfortable as most would expect, but drive really well and can be made to handle fairly well for their size with minimal work.

As far as the Mustangs, I've got two - a '68 under full restoration and a '94 GT. My wagon drives much better than the '94! But the '94 is more pleasing to drive in a quick manner. Always wanted a 5.0L SN-95 Cobra but never found one that was affordable and not beat.

Looking for a two door, four door, or wagon? I have a '90 wagon I stumbled into that I could part with. It's a stripper Country Squire.
                            I was always impressed with the excellent torque that '91 had. It was far from the slowest car on the road even with its many problems. I've been liking what I've read so far regarding big brake swaps. I had an '86 Mustang that I converted to 5-lug, so I'm no stranger to braking and handling upgrades.

I purchased my '95 seven years ago for $6500. I probably could have gotten it for less, but I felt it was a good deal for a stock, sub-100k car in excellent shape.

I'd prefer a four door. It will primarily be my daily driver, but I want it also be able to fill family car duties if ever needed.

Thanks for the welcomes. I look forward to getting a box and digging into it.
                            —John

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                              Thanks for the insights. I have considered a Town Car as well, but I honestly cannot stand leather and/or vinyl seats. Seems like nearly 100% of TCs I see for sale have them.

I'm with you on the looks of the '87-'93. I definitely prefer the four-eyes as well. Most people prefer the aeros. Ironically, those people (the die-hard, '87-'93 Fox owners) have crowned themselves the arbiter of what a Mustang should look like. There was a whole lot of posts online saying something to the effect of "looks like a Fusion" when the '15 Mustang was unveiled. These guys seem to forget that their beloved foxes look like a Taurus.
                              They could be had with velour, which is what my '88 has. My GF Ashley drives an '89 with leather and she hates it too. I also hate leather.

I never knew that haha. Figures though. I also think the new Mustang looks too much like a Fusion. Its as if the engineers or designers find a design they like and then go overboard with it, much like those dumb white LED eye brow lights every car has now.

Comment

Working...
                              X