92 Grand Marquis 5.0 engine build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 Grand Marquis 5.0 engine build

So before anyone says anything, the budget will be about $2000, may be able to still raise it. I already have a block, gt40p heads, and the intake manifold that goes with the heads. As some may have been reading from my other post, I am going with a 5.0 engine and a 4r70w transmission. Stall is still to be determined. The engine came from a 88 LTD crown victoria. The engine will receive a complete rebuild. I Am going to invest in dial bore gauges and calipers to measures the specs for the engine. Now my question is, what cams are you guys using (preferably hydraulic rollers)? I already have the ECU for the engine and wiring harness. GT40p heads will be upgraded with new valve springs for more lift. My aims are as close as possible to 300 at the rear wheel. I know this might not be possible without a power adder, that is why I said as close as possible. Transmission will have a manual valve body. No worries for it. Also, I decided to ditch the turbo idea. also what type of pistons do you guys suggest? flat top pistons?
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
    sigpic

Mine is a Comp XE 258 HR. I did need longer pushrods, so be aware of that.

Honestly, stock Explorer replacement pistons will do you fine. They look just like the HO pistons with valve reliefs, but they are a less expensive hypereutectic. The original HO ones are forged. For your purposes, frankly I don't think you need it. Mine has been running those for some time now without any problems. I could probably even do 50 or 75 shot with it and not really have melting problems if I really felt the need to. absolutely no plans on that though, I'm not a bottle fed kinda guy.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I can't tell you what cam to use, however I can tell you what cams not to use. I recommend NOT getting any of the classic ford "Letter" cams, aka E303, B303 etc. Bad low end power, and funky to tune at idle.

John has a similar setup and is using the cobra cam and it performs nicely, however I would personally go with something more aggressive. You could get a custom grind, but with such a standard setup, i dont think it's necessary.
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Oh, something to mention, mine is running completely un-tuned mass air and seems to behave itself quite happily. It would probably be better with a tune, and frankly at some point in time I do plan to do that along with larger injectors but in the meantime it is completely drivable. I haven't had to run it through inspection yet though, so I can't swear that part works.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          I can't tell you what cam to use, however I can tell you what cams not to use. I recommend NOT getting any of the classic ford "Letter" cams, aka E303, B303 etc. Bad low end power, and funky to tune at idle.

John has a similar setup and is using the cobra cam and it performs nicely, however I would personally go with something more aggressive. You could get a custom grind, but with such a standard setup, i dont think it's necessary.

That is what I originally was thinking. Reason is because it can be designed for the use of this car. In terms of price it might be a little expensive but would perform better.
          Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
          sigpic

Comment

Ditto, avoid the alphabet cams. Look at the offerings from lunati, comp, or crane. They all make good off-the-shelf cams. TFS are alright but don't idle all that great. I have a holley systemax II cam if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
              Ditto, avoid the alphabet cams. Look at the offerings from lunati, comp, or crane. They all make good off-the-shelf cams. TFS are alright but don't idle all that great. I have a holley systemax II cam if you're interested.
              By any chance do you have the specs for the cam?
              sigpic

Comment

Lunati's got a torque cam for 351Ws and 302s with the HO firing order. It's a hydraulic roller cam and it makes power from idle all the way to 5,000 RPM. http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=4725&gid=254
                Specs are all there. I will be going that route with the '89 come spring. Though at this rate you're probably going to be rocking it before me.... lucky bastid!
                '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

So, I am already buying parts for the build just want to ask if this seems right. The engine is an 88 5.0 Would these roller lifters okay?
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Racing-...tV8dx7&vxp=mtr
                  sigpic

Comment

Yep. 86+ 5.0 blocks all use the same roller lifters.

Comment

Systemax cam specs as follows: Lift w/ 1.6 RR's: .509/.509
                      221* int/ 223* exh
                      Advertised duration: 276/280
                      Lobe seperation: 112*

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                        Systemax cam specs as follows: Lift w/ 1.6 RR's: .509/.509
                        221* int/ 223* exh
                        Advertised duration: 276/280
                        Lobe seperation: 112*
                        Might be interested in the cam. Is it for roller lifter or flat tappet?
                        sigpic

Comment

What would you guys suggest. Since my aims are 300 hp at the crank, high volume oil pump or factory oil pump?
                          sigpic

Comment

Not pumping as much oil means more horses at rear wheels for a standard volume pump. SBF's are pretty decent with their oiling system, a standard pump will do in my opinion for most normal uses.
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

It's a hydraulic roller Pivichot. Also agree with Tiggie, unless you're doing a super high-revving solid roller motor, standard volume oil pump only, HV is a waste.

Comment

Working...
                              X