No brake lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No brake lights

I am having a problem I have a 87 Crown Vic and do not have brake lights . My rear turn signal lights work and the brake light in the rear window works . I am assuming that the brake light in the rear window shares the same switch that is on the brake peddle which controls the rear brake lights so I am ruling that out . Then I thought a brake in the ground wire but that would effect my turn signals and regular riding lights which work . So if anyone has any ideas I could really use the help thank you very much .

Hi Roaddog

Give the hazard light switch a workout and see if they start working

Regards

Dereck
    President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Thanks Dereck I'll try that .

Comment

Multifunction switch (turn signal switch) could have a loose connector otlr be bad.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yep, something MF switch related. The hazard contacts are in that part as well. The third brake light runs straight off the brake light switch. Output from that switch also goes into the MF switch and passes through the contacts for the hazard light and the turn signal lever out to the rear lights. If the center light works but the other two don't, its open somewhere in that switch.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions I pushed the hazard switch in and out a few times and now everything works . It is nice to have a forum like this that you can go to folks when we run into issues . Again I want to thank everyone for their input .

Comment

Great to hear!
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

"scribby the contacts" works a lot on those damn things.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                X