Wiper Blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiper Blades

So I recently had to replace my wiper blades on my '91 Grand Marquis LS and not having had to do so in a long time I didn't really know what style I had to get. I initially wanted to get this style:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4108534089964558845_wiper_blades_exterior_parts__car_care_trico_182_large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1303316
    but realized the "elevated" design didn't allow the blades to tuck up underneath the hood when turned off. It was actually the drivers side blade that interferred w/ the hood. I didn't know I had to stick w/ the super basic wiper blade here:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Trico 18-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1303317
    which allows the blades to tuck up underneath the hood when off without any interferrence. My "go-to" parts store Advance Auto was out-of-stock. Napa had some but I didn't care for how they looked. Bought the Trico ones in the second pic from Amazon at just over $8 each. I stuck w/ the 18" ones but the 22" blades fit as well. Didn't realize how hard to find these blades are becoming, at least in my area.

Just thought I would share!

Matt
    Last edited by MattDoscher; 02-15-2016, 11:55 PM.

I use beam blades (those expensive ones) on mine. They all tuck fine with those. Added plus is I've not had to change wipers in at least 5 years on either. Had to change the wipers on the 2000 when we got it and installed a set of beams. I think 2 sets are Rain-X (which seem to work best from what I've used) and the other is either Bosch or Michelin. That set will probably get replaced this year or next with some Rain-X beams.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It all depends how bulky the clips are on those things (and your relative clearance)
      Ive even put on a few regular-style generic blades that wouldn't tuck, lol... luckily RockAuto always has plenty of 'classic fit' options on closeout. I've even come to like the old school weird-spring/clip-thing type of attachment
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Can't recall if mine were the fancy rain-x ones or bosch, but the driver's side didn't tuck in on my '90 either, until it got settled in a bit. Now it does a shit-poor job of cleaning the windshield because of it, leaving a big shitty streak of un-wiped windscreen. Won't make that mistake again. It probably won't rain here for another 2 years but I plan to look for something with a bit more low-profile clip setup. What a pain in the arse.

Comment

I use beam blades
          Yeah I saw those and they seemed to have a low enough profile to fit.

leaving a big shitty streak of un-wiped windscreen
          Probably right in your line of vision too!

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            ...It probably won't rain here for another 2 years but I plan to look for something with a bit more low-profile clip setup. What a pain in the arse.
            LoL

I've got the Rain-X frameless ones on my TC, seem to be holding up fine. I consider it good if I get more than a year out of my blades, working on a 1.5 so far..
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I just get cheap what ever at Walmart keeps cost down the biggest wiper you can put on boxes is 19's

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Bosch beams fit. Other beams, have this horendously bulky knot for their one size fits all nonsense. Napa Exact fit (the classic style) also clear without problem.

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                  I just get cheap what ever at Walmart keeps cost down the biggest wiper you can put on boxes is 19's
                  I've been running 22s for years on my 89 MGM and now on my 91 MGM. Finding wipers that fit under the hood is always the biggest problem I have.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I also found during my searches that 22" blades fit, I was just using the framed ones which didn't tuck under the hood because they sat up too high. The classic/vintage style and the beam ones are probably the only blades that will tuck under the hood because of their low profile.

Comment

Originally posted by MattDoscher View Post
                      Probably right in your line of vision too!
                      But of course. The passenger side works great, but I get a giant streak of crap right in front of me. Nothing better

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                        But of course. The passenger side works great, but I get a giant streak of crap right in front of me. Nothing better
                        I had this problem on the aero and whale... had to bend the wiper arm down a little on both of them. The box has no issues with the streaking BS. It does however slap the side molding of the windshield because the wiper linkage is getting sloppy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I work at walmart TLE so I got the fancy dance Rain-x latitudes... those fuckers would get caught on my hood fly up scaring the shit out of me and then go down get stuck with an audible THUNK.

I took them back the next day, said fuck it and got bay blades installed. (pocketed the difference and ate lunch for a few more days! ) Nobody knew how to take off the wipers on my car. Apparently they were the original style from the 1980s! I also run 18inch blades since that's what the old ford mechanic who was the only person able to take off the wipers said the car needed. Our stupid books at work are very.. Umm unhelpful? Cars listed under LTD a lot like the auto zone website where Crown Victoria is just a trim package apparently.

So yeah the cheapie bay blades will tuck fine, but anything taller will smash against your hood. Could just be my hood. Once again these cars are old.. people do weird ass things to old cars, and shit can get misaligned.

Huh so that high speed slap is from sloppy linkages.. Thats a thing to keep in mind.
                          Last edited by DrHax; 02-25-2016, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I just picked up a set of Rain-x Fusion wipers the other day and they fit under the hood on my '91 MGM, ymmv.

Also I see why 18" would be the max that you can properly run. On the passenger side, with my 22" wipers, the wiper rests on hood hinge. I believe with the 18" wipers they would park further down (properly). Other than that I've never noticed any issues running 22s.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

First time hearing people have problems with them tucking. I've had issues with the beam style not clearing properly in the center, so I just get the old style. Plus it's half the cost.
                              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                              X