minnesota Idiot with a 86 crown vic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My intake has freaking philips on it.

I dropped it off at a shop today. 200$ for parts and labour. The car drove up fine, until I had to turn on the defrost feature. Then it bogged down and I had to shut it off and floor it to keep the car alive.

Got to the shop, popped open the hood. Smoke was leaking out of the hood. Thought I sprung a coolant leak, nope. Powersteering fluid over everything. The belt, fan block. I should be getting it back by the start of this week.

I just hope the powering steering pump is the major culprit for the stalling. Seems like it was causing quite a drag on the motor.. I know a working power steering pump can stall out a motor, so an f'ed one would probably do the same. Or the results seemed to show it.

Comment

when my smog pump seized up... I happened to be in my driveway... the engine died. Pulley load can definitely do that. I've never had a power steering pump lunch itself as such though. Hopefully the mechanic flushes the steering box good when he puts the new pump on before connecting the return line.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

someone must have changed the screws then. Factory was torx. I'm not really a fan of either to be honest, but phillips strip out even more. Maybe the Canadians are onto something with that Robertson thing.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          when my smog pump seized up... I happened to be in my driveway... the engine died. Pulley load can definitely do that. I've never had a power steering pump lunch itself as such though. Hopefully the mechanic flushes the steering box good when he puts the new pump on before connecting the return line.
          I think they will. It's a local place that's pretty respected around here. Many people take their old classics to it to get engine work done and stuff. It's not one of those quick fix places. So I trust they will do it right and not cut corners. Otherwise a major person in our community who recommended me to them will know about it and then some. There's advantages to living in a small town. If you do shoddy business you ain't gonna be in business. Also it is worth it to me to get it done right... and have a car back. I am just getting sick of spending all of my day offs working on it.. and my fiancee bless her dearly is putting up with my shit, however she is getting annoyed like I am.

The steering pump has been known to stall out mustangs. Granted those are the four bangers. When I got the surges it was after I hit the heater into that windshield setting with it on full blast and the maxed out heat... That combined with the fucked up steering pump set the car into PANIC mode.

Comment

Hopefully that's the end of it buddy. My PS pump is getting a little grungy but not that bad I hope. Plan is to change it when the new engine goes in (hopefully) within the next year. I'd still seek out vacuum leaks and such, as these are fairly common on our funky old cars.

Comment

Yeah. I hope so too. My family isn't thrilled with the money I'm "dumping" into this old car. However my total investment plus the price of the oil change is slightly north of 1000$ Which isn't bad for an used car especially in MN where prices are absurd. Rusty toyota 3k. I'd take my vic with a few dings and scratches over a rusty toyota that hasn't been maintained at all.

The way I view it keeping this car alive is worth it because it's going to be cheaper then buying a new car... which I won't like. My crown victoria is comfortable, big enough. I can see every corner of it. It even has nimble handling and smaller turning radius then my saturn.(I am not joking) I know this for a fact because I nearly got T-boned by a silver minivan and did a 1970's action movie U-turn to avoid it in a walmart parking lot. (I was shocked my car's hubcaps were still attached) I watched his drivers fender fly by where my passenger door would have been. Damn bastard just had the dumbest confused look on his face about wtf just happened.

The pluses of this car far outweigh the cons in my mind. I know these cars can tow trailers and such, I know I can store a bunch of stuff in the trunk. When the parts are good they are reliable. Parts are surprisingly cheaper then anything else I have seen. A saturn is actually surprisingly expensive in comparison. With a clogged up IAC and such I was still rocking at least 20mpg with my driving style. Also life is too short to drive something you hate. In the saturn I would come home from work and feel tensed up and stressed always in a hurry to get the fuck out of dodge.

In my crown victoria with comfy seats and a nice little radio. I can just cruise down the highway no real effort to push the car, or keep up with the maniacs doing 85. I and just a happy place as I feel all of the stress melt off of my shoulders and into the comfy bench seats. The windows don't freak out, the steering (when it worked) was responsive and the car sailed over every bump and crack in the road as if it did not exist, and the visibility is excellent.These cars feel luxurious to me, and there's something to them I love I just can't explain. Maybe it's because they're the last old cars made in the same style of the old classics, maybe it's because I prefer the boxy styling to the silver blobs that curse the roads today, maybe because its the simplicity of it.

I do not know why.. I can't truly answer it myself. All I know is I am proud to own a damn dinged up old triple blue crown Victoria with a 302 and many base model options. My fiancee likes the car too which doesn't hurt. Hilariously she owns a 1967 saab 96 with a ford V4 which is pretty much taking a hacksaw to a 302, so when summer hits we're going to go to car shows together and its going to be fun.

Comment

I feel the same way with my car I can keep up with all of the idiots on the road and steer myself out of trouble with the responsive steering and sit comfortably on the split bench seat, I can drive my car all day and not be in pain.

Comment

The fatfoxx relocation kit came in yesterday. I just opened it. It's pretty nice.

Comment

She's alive! Mwahahah! *cough*

Cost me 350.. New power steering pump, and the guy also replaced the pickup in the dizzy. I can see timing was set too since the tfi is pointed in a different direction. Car runs a treat.

Comment

Sounds like a happy ending. I, too enjoy just truckin' around in my old box. I actually fell in love with these stupid cars when I was semi-forced to buy a "family" car. Knocked my old lady up with twins and at the time was driving a shitbox hand-me-down '72 monte carlo. That car was a total chunk of crap and I hated it. I need something with 4 doors that was safe. Also decided that it needed to be rear-wheel-drive, v8, and preferably made by Ford. Also had to be cheap. I ended up buying a '98 p71 from a guy on craigslist that sells cars to movies and such. He told me to come on down and choose one of the 150+ cars he had!

Long story short, I drove the shit out of that car for over 5 years. Scarcely had trouble with it and it was fun, but I always liked the boxy cars better and the 5.0 is SOOOO much easier to work on, nevermind parts are much cheaper. I finally began my search for a box but was disappointed with every one I looked at. In the end, a buddy I hadn't seen in a while called me up one day and asked if I still wanted to "buy that car". What car? The crown vic. Couldn't even remember what color it was but I had seen it probably a year prior. He was moving out of town and was trying to get rid of stuff. The car drove alright, save for some weird cold idle behavior but I figured I could sort that. Bought it for a grand and sold the '98 to another buddy who needed a car for a grand. Boom, done. Of course I dropped a bunch more money on wheels, tires, shocks, exhaust, and various other little parts. Now I've been compiling performance parts for an engine build I'm hoping to get together within the next year.

Every time I get into this car I feel good. Some people look at me like I'm crazy, but I've gotten a lot of thumbs-up from old guys and let's face it, they've seen and know a hell of a lot more than any 25 year-old puke driving around in some hippy-ass Subaru his parents bought him.

Comment

The older guys love it. One guy who drives a 89 vic was impressed by how nice mine was.

First day I drove to work a guy stopped rolled down his windows to ask me questions about it. I love this car.

The radio is turning into a staticy mess,and MN radio stations suck. Granted I listen to weird shit so I may be biased.

The only thing I want for my car is a set of 15x7 keystones..

Comment

Working...
                        X