No announcement yet.

minnesota Idiot with a 86 crown vic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tanks are not fun. Wait until you get to fight the fuel filler neck seal.

If your car doesn't have premium sound, it's a pretty easy job to do an aftermarket radio. They make a pigtail that plugs into your existing wiring. That way it can be easily undone later if you'd like.

I still run my stock radio. Plays music. That's all I need. Actually pulled from my friends '89 which he pulled out in his first two days of ownership.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Mine just says stereo on it so hopefully I can find somebody with a stock one.. Jabbing it when ever it gets wonky does the trick for now. Yeah the filler neck was a bitch. "Just pulls out" they said... yeah freaking right.

Comment

Gas tank, heater core (and for some weird reason driveshaft) are the top three difficult things to remove in my 88 Town Car. Other than that, it's pretty good to work on. Oh, and welcome to GMN.
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You guys gave me a better welcome then CVN so thats why I'm coming back here.(Also the tech section on boxes is more active here.) I bought a reproduction of the 1986 shop manual from ford. That contains some nice information. Only one more day before I can work on my vic.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

For the FPR you will need to remove the upper intake. Kinda impossible to do with it there in the way. Three allen headed bolts holing it into place iirc.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I am debating on replacing it, but at the same time there was an issue with fuel delivery.. Now I have the shop manuals its not too daunting of a task.

Comment

Welcome!

You really are diving in head first, lol. No better way.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by DrHax View Post
                  You guys gave me a better welcome then CVN so thats why I'm coming back here.(Also the tech section on boxes is more active here.) I bought a reproduction of the 1986 shop manual from ford. That contains some nice information. Only one more day before I can work on my vic.
                  Yeah CVN is full of great info for Aeros and Whales, but GMN caters more to the boxes. Once I traded up from my '98 p71 to my '90lx, this became my new home. Haven't run into any dick members here either, lol. There's some real lunatics on the "other" site. Anyhow, stereo work is so cheap these days, I don't even booger with it, just take it to a local shop and let them do what they do. Got the old head unit out of the other car installed in the '90 for $37 dollars. A pittance compared to the hassle and colorful language involved with me and wiring. Strangely, I find the older stuff has better working power accessories than the newer. My power windows on the '98 did all kinds of weird shit, sometimes not rolling up/down, then later working fine. Locks were about the same. All but the driver's rear door on the '90 work great, roll up/down faster. I dunno, your experience may vary I guess but I just love how easy these things are to work on compared to the newer crap. Only exception is the whole coil-on-plug thing, I kinda dug that. Welcome and enjoy your box!

Comment

I dunno... we have some nuts here... and some real sly ones too. Might keep ya on your toes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hah! Yeah CVN seems more geared towards the later ones. It took a few days before my SOS post got an answer, and by that time I had already figured out the answer. Here the response was almost instant. I really dig it here. This forum feels a lot like my volkswagen forum I am part of that is shunned in most of the community for what we do to rusted up vws. Out moto is Cut Weld and Drive. So that should give you an idea of the lot I prefer to be with.

Apparently going by what the CVN said manual windows are rare on these cars? I'm not sure if thats true or not.. but then again my car seemed to be somebody just picking exactly what they wanted. I am happy to have manual windows.

Yeah these cars seem easy to work on. Parts are cheap too which is a massive surprise to me. However I can see how if you're not crafty crap can add up. My fuel pump total cost me 97.89 and that was with me piecing it together instead of buying an Airtek pump. I am really looking forward to getting my car up and running again. I really do miss it, not driving it for a few days has been murder on me. There's a reason why I like old cars. Driving a modern car has just been a bit of a PIA.

Comment

Manual windows tend to be the exception, though I wouldn't say it's rare. There's plenty with crank windows. I haven't seen any 88 or later though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          Manual windows tend to be the exception, though I wouldn't say it's rare. There's plenty with crank windows. I haven't seen any 88 or later though.
                          I think I remember reading they dropped the option around the same time as the two door version. Not 100% sure about that though.

Comment

I've seen an '88 with crankers or "rolly windows" as I've heard them described. It was burgundy on burgundy with almost zero options save for power locks.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I had an 88, my DD from 2004-2006 that had roller windows. No power locks, no ATC (manual AC/heat), cable remote controlled mirrors, no power trunk release. Only options it did have were autolamp, tilt steering wheel, cruise control, cloth seats and what appeared to be an aftermarket half-vinyl top. Tutone brown with dark brown interior and tan vinyl top. I painted it black mainly to cover the bad surface rust. For all that the structure of the body was solid until the trunk started to rot quickly only a couple months before I parted with it. Good simple car it was. Needed a bit of work towards the end, had 336k km and got the Lincoln fever so I drove it to the scrapyard and started driving the Lincoln daily. I do regret not fixing it up and keeping it for a beater at least, to spare the Lincoln along a bit.
                              Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                              Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

1990 power windows and locks became standard. My '88 wagon is manual everything. Ever try to lock a tailgate without power locks? You have to get out of the car and walk all the way back there, and either open the door and push the lever or use the key outside. Mine was a special order car though.

The 90 has power locks and Windows since there were standard, and no other options except those wire wheel covers. No even a rear defrost or cassette.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X