Ford Premium sound 1986 - 1991 Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford Premium sound 1986 - 1991 Wiring

Just doing some testing with the factory wiring to find what colors go to what speakers in the ford Premium sound. This is off my 86 Grand marquis. I believe the information should be relevant to the years in the title. Can someone confirm that? This is a basic system no EQ I don't believe there are any extra/hidden amps in the system other than the head unit. This is a draft and the information may not be accurate, especially in regards to the power section

Also I have gotten rid of my wiring harness so I will also note which wires go from one harness to the other.

Power:
    Orange W/ Blue dot - Orange W/ Blue line (Switched? 12V+)
    Yellow W/ Black dot - Yellow W/ Black line (Constant? 12V+)
    Green W/ Yellow - Green W/ Yellow (Dimmer?)
    Blue W/ red - Blue W/ red (Illumination?)
    Ground Chassis

Speaker:

FL+ Orange W/Green dash - Green (bright)
    FR+ White W/Green dash - White w/ Red stripe
    F - Black W/White dash - Black

RR+ Pink W/Blue line - Orange W/Red stripe
    RR- Green W/Orange dots - Green W/Orange line
    RL+ Pink W/Green line - Pink W/Green
    RL- Pink W/Blue dots - Pink W/blue line

The car wire colors are going off of my notes. I'm looking only at the amp right now so sorry if the wording is inconsistent. I think a stripe and a line are the same thing. I'm quite sure the polarity is correct and consistent based on radio listening tests.
    Last edited by Whosondephone; 02-21-2016, 01:14 PM.

Current ride: 2004 "The Distant future" Grand Marquis

I forget what I scanned this from, but its probably out of a 1986 EVTM

http://gadget73.com/images/schematic/conventional.jpg

http://gadget73.com/images/schematic/electronic.jpg

I believe this changed somewhere along the line, probably around 1988 when the radio changed.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

89 definately has negative outputs for both front speakers.
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

my 88 has the two rectangular single row 8-pin connectors. two wires to each speaker. But it's not premium sound either... so that may be the difference.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

As far as I know, premium sound always involved the amplifier. Straight off the radio was just electronic am/fm/cassette or whatever particular radio you had.

There also appear to be two variants to the football amp rig. There is a 4 channel version and a 2 channel. My Towncar in stock form had only the front speakers fed through the football. Rears were straight off the radio.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X