My '05 MGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My '05 MGM

So my Ranger finally got tired of me railing it day in and day out back in January. Rented a car so I could get to work and search for another car. Went to many used car and dealerships to find what I was looking for before I found this Merc. I found it at an Acura dealership of all places. A friend at work recommended that I look at TL's. I figured I would entertain the suggestion knowing that I can't afford an Acura. Whilst searching the pre-certified lot; I saw this beauty sitting way in the back. Salesman said a retired Lieutenant dropped it off several months ago and they couldn't get rid of the car. It has only 70k on the odometer and is very clean underneath. CarFax showed an extensive service record. Fortunately I had my mom there and she haggled the price down a little. It was almost as if she's done this before; even though she drives an '86 (newest model she's ever driven). So this is my daily driver. I was trying to avoid getting a DD that I will fall in love with (i.e. my poor Malibu), but I couldn't go on any longer renting those wrecks. So, here's the pics.

Plans are to upgrade the brakes with slotted rotors all around and Hawk pads. I will see about wheels as well. Not sure what I want to stick on this car. I like Marauder wheels, but somebody a couple blocks away from me already did that to his '03 MGM.

Next year I will look into installing a dual exhaust. Not too crazy about single exhaust systems. I will decide if I want to do a stock dual or just pull the trigger and get a full dual exhaust (headers all the way back).

Following year I will do the suspension and make a decision if I want to touch the engine or not.

Packman

Comment

Looks really clean, great color too. Came with tint so you are good there. 2005 is an interesting year, first models with drive by wire but with the old dash. Also only whales with a rear mounted whip antenna.

Good luck with it. What color interior? Beige?
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Nice Car, I think you will be happy.

Before you buy new rotors you might want to read this thread given your location.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...tor-which-ones

An up sized sway and sticky rubber might be nice in addition to the duals.
        Last edited by jaywish; 02-29-2016, 06:02 PM.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

tjc78: Yes beige.

Jaywish: Yes, very happy with the ride quality. Just hope I don't fall asleep on my way home after a long day. I will read that thread and see. Most likely gonna do the brakes and wheels first as they're the least expensive of the upgrades. Aftermarket duals are expensive, but at least a lot of the hassle of rigging up a system meant for another car is gone.

After the suspension is done, I will focus on Putter Project so I have a back up for serious repairs or upgrades (engine?).

Comment

I will see what SP Performance has in stock. I've gotten my diamond slotted and dimpled rotors from them for both Rangers and the S-10. Coupled with their metallic pads, they're a great combination. I read that elsewhere about drilled rotors cracking. I think Pirate warned us of them as well.

Packman

Comment

Beautiful!
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Congrats! Are you going to sell the Ranger or scrap it?
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I will fix the trans cooler lines and get it running. I have a couple missions for that truck before I let it retire. I need to get a trans for the '86 CV; also, my mom will need something to drive when I swap engines.

I forgot how it feels to drive with dignity once again. Been like 10 years.

Packman

Comment

Panther Pride !
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

So with gas prices going up; I may do the exhaust before the wheels. I think I will gain some MPG with a full exhaust. Overkill, but worth the effort with my previous vehicles that I have done that to.

When the brakes need servicing, I will upgrade them when the time comes.

Comment

So with all this winter storm hype; I decided to steal the wheels off of my mom's CV and put them on my car. The 10-hole wheels are wrapped in Bridgestone Blizzaks that according to my mom, worked well in the snow. I had to remove the center caps because despite being tight; didn't lock onto the lugs. They will reside in the basement until I get the correct lugs.

Noticeable ride difference with the 17" wheels and 235-55-17 tires vs the 16" 225-60-16 combo. I feel more bumps, but as expected, the handling, despite the kinda knobby tires, is far superior to the stockers.
                        Last edited by packman; 03-13-2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

nice to be able to try different wheel & tire packages.

What tires were on the car and how worn were they?
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I will take a look when I get home. They have tread, but they're dry rotting. When I pulled them yesterday, it was the first time I got a close look at them. A lot of small cracks all over the sidewalls. The car was low mileage when I got it; and probably did more sitting than anything else in the last 5 years or so. By the time next winter rolls by, I will have winter tires on the MGM wheels.

It's convenient and also coincidence as well, since the CV has been on jack stands for 8 mos.

Comment

So, I somehow lost the balances on the driver side tires; or at least the car was shaking real bad on the highway this morning. I did a walk around when I got to work and I noticed that the passenger side tires had the weights on them, but the driver side tires (both), didn't have them. Can those weights just fall off? It ran fine on Monday night; smooth as glass.

Comment

Working...
                              X