PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My '05 MGM

fomoco panthers !

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Looking good.

I have wondered what happens to winter tires when ran year round. Care to share?
    If they are studded snows, In addition to wearing out the tires fast, you will get a ticket after a certain date. They must be off. Studs wear down very quick on dry roads.Damage the roads too.
    If they are studless, they will wear out very very quick. The rubber is softer and does not like temperatures over 50 degrees or high speeds.

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Like Mainemantom said; is exactly what happened. I got lazy and failed to switch out the Blizzaks on the CV one year. Despite the lack of mileage on that car, it wore those tires down a bit. I only got a couple seasons out of them on the '05 MGM before they stopped gripping wet pavement.

On the flip-side; summer tires are a harder compound and will not grip cold pavement. We had a freak October ice storm in 2011 that made getting the CV into the driveway a 15 minute ordeal. The Kumhos would not grip the .5" sluch on the road. Mind you, I was parked right in front of the driveway and I just had to cut the wheel and back it into the driveway. That was with the lopo; couldn't imagine what that would have been like with something that had a bit more hp/tq.

fomoco panthers !

One lesson I learned with the Lincoln. Keep a bag of sand in the trunk year round just in case you need extra traction. I had to use sand in an intersection which had a grade. Another time right in the driveway. Having Posi trac makes the event worse !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123