PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My '05 MGM

fomoco panthers !

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Looking good.

I have wondered what happens to winter tires when ran year round. Care to share?
    If they are studded snows, In addition to wearing out the tires fast, you will get a ticket after a certain date. They must be off. Studs wear down very quick on dry roads.Damage the roads too.
    If they are studless, they will wear out very very quick. The rubber is softer and does not like temperatures over 50 degrees or high speeds.

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Like Mainemantom said; is exactly what happened. I got lazy and failed to switch out the Blizzaks on the CV one year. Despite the lack of mileage on that car, it wore those tires down a bit. I only got a couple seasons out of them on the '05 MGM before they stopped gripping wet pavement.

On the flip-side; summer tires are a harder compound and will not grip cold pavement. We had a freak October ice storm in 2011 that made getting the CV into the driveway a 15 minute ordeal. The Kumhos would not grip the .5" sluch on the road. Mind you, I was parked right in front of the driveway and I just had to cut the wheel and back it into the driveway. That was with the lopo; couldn't imagine what that would have been like with something that had a bit more hp/tq.

fomoco panthers !

One lesson I learned with the Lincoln. Keep a bag of sand in the trunk year round just in case you need extra traction. I had to use sand in an intersection which had a grade. Another time right in the driveway. Having Posi trac makes the event worse !

T-stat is puking coolant. I will tighten it up a little when I get back. Just ordered another T-stat and housing. Will install ASAP when it arrives.

Looks like it's leaking from the bottom; might have been that way for a little bit; just noticing it now though. Since the T-stat housing is the top part; and this is the lower portion that mates to the cylinder head; does that mean I have to replace the intake manifold?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	55223 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	55224

Getting a good look at the pictures; it looks like there is a gap at the bottom where the intake meets the cylinder head. Not sure if it's just an O-ring there or some other type of gasket. I wonder if it's possible to smear some Permatex in that gap for a patch until I get another replacement intake?

Just got done with the intake manifold swap. I will post pics tomorrow. It runs no differently than it did before; aside from the lack of the coolant steam show it displayed last Wednesday. I noticed after I got it running that I got fluid running off of the EGR pipe and dripping onto the intake manifold. Is this normal; or did I jostle the EGR pipe the wrong way?

Pics of the disassembly process. The lifter valley had a good pool of water mixed with coolant when I took the old intake out. I guess it was leaking for a long time.

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	55307 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1354.JPEG 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	55308 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	55309

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Shouldn't be any drips, but I'm not sure what would be dripping from the EGR Pipe unless it's condensation.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

I noticed it when I took it to the gas station to fill up. Popped the hood and saw a line of water running from the bottom of the TB. I traced it to below the EGR pipe. I will get a better look tomorrow when it's not raining.

Name:	IMG_1362.JPEG 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	55310 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1363.JPEG 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	55311 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1364.JPEG 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	55312

I mentioned it in the What Are You Working On thread; I did my best to clean the engine off before disassembly; yet I still managed to get an acorn into one of the intake runners. Spent 1.5 hours fishing it out with cut and bent wire coat hangers. Then I had to take a couple throat culture swabs and some elmers glue on the cotton tips to yank out other small bits. I broke the pcv hose when I removed it; despite removing as gently as I could, it still snapped. Also, as I was removing the old intake; my elbow ran into the fuel vapor purge solenoid and snapped a port off. We tried to epoxy it, but there was a tiny piece of plastic that was missing; so I got a new solenoid and installed it in its place. That was some of the fun of this process. Day by day, I hate squirrels more and more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123