No announcement yet.

My '05 MGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a good look at the pictures; it looks like there is a gap at the bottom where the intake meets the cylinder head. Not sure if it's just an O-ring there or some other type of gasket. I wonder if it's possible to smear some Permatex in that gap for a patch until I get another replacement intake?

Comment

Just got done with the intake manifold swap. I will post pics tomorrow. It runs no differently than it did before; aside from the lack of the coolant steam show it displayed last Wednesday. I noticed after I got it running that I got fluid running off of the EGR pipe and dripping onto the intake manifold. Is this normal; or did I jostle the EGR pipe the wrong way?

Comment

Pics of the disassembly process. The lifter valley had a good pool of water mixed with coolant when I took the old intake out. I guess it was leaking for a long time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1288328 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1354.JPEG
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	1288329 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1288330

Comment

Shouldn't be any drips, but I'm not sure what would be dripping from the EGR Pipe unless it's condensation.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I noticed it when I took it to the gas station to fill up. Popped the hood and saw a line of water running from the bottom of the TB. I traced it to below the EGR pipe. I will get a better look tomorrow when it's not raining.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1362.JPEG
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	1288331 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1363.JPEG
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	1288332 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1364.JPEG
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	1288333

Comment

I mentioned it in the What Are You Working On thread; I did my best to clean the engine off before disassembly; yet I still managed to get an acorn into one of the intake runners. Spent 1.5 hours fishing it out with cut and bent wire coat hangers. Then I had to take a couple throat culture swabs and some elmers glue on the cotton tips to yank out other small bits. I broke the pcv hose when I removed it; despite removing as gently as I could, it still snapped. Also, as I was removing the old intake; my elbow ran into the fuel vapor purge solenoid and snapped a port off. We tried to epoxy it, but there was a tiny piece of plastic that was missing; so I got a new solenoid and installed it in its place. That was some of the fun of this process. Day by day, I hate squirrels more and more.

Comment

One thing I realized during that process; when I go to do the full exhaust on this car; I will remove the EGR valve and the driver side exhaust manifold and take it all out in one piece. I tried to remove the pcv hose from the valve and it wasn't budging. I can only imagine that it would be much more difficult to remove from the exhaust manifold. I'm simply going to replace the EGR system when I install the headers. Hopefully that will make that process easier.

Comment

Easiest way to get dirt and crap out of tight places is often compressed air, I've also used a vacuum with some small plastic pipe taped on the nozzle.
                    With compressed air, definitely cover your eyes and any other places you don't want said crap to fall into.
                    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I bought a Central Pnuematic compressor for the purpose of clearing out debris. I used an O-ring puller to get at the things crammed between the valve cover flange and the intake gasket (very small space). I missed an acorn. This, after having cleared out debris when I swapped plugs and coils a year ago. Also want to cover your mouth; I had coolant, debris, and a little oil splash on my face when I first did that. Didn't taste good at all.

Comment

I started the full exhaust conversion today by soaking the exhaust manifold studs with PBBlaster. I am going to find some liquid wrench and use that later on. But for now, I am going to soak the studs every other week until March; then it will be every week until I decide to do this. I’m also going to try fitting different tools (probably air) in the tightest spaces to see what will work the best. Also also, I began mocking the driver side tailpipe. I need to purchase some more 90* and 45* bends for the passenger side. I hope to have this all figured out before I break the first exhaust manifold stud.

Comment

Thinking way ahead. Hope it goes smooth when the time rolls around.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I hope so too. I also got a bolt extractor kit as I anticipate broken studs; judging by the condition of what's on there now. Hopefully a few months of soaking and heat cycles will coerce them off of the heads without breakage. I have leftover pipes from the CV dual exhaust conversion from a decade and a half ago. I was going to use them for some of the current CV exhaust; but as was seen, I messed that up and went dual 3" to the axles. I have a few more 90* and 45* bends to purchase to complete both tailpipes. Also, I found that my Ranger exhaust, although under some debris, was not damaged by the tree. I am going to dig it out and use it when I cut the passenger side of the exhaust from the MGM. I also salvaged the exhaust tip I used on the Ranger too; I will just put a 90* bend after the muffler and run a side exit for the next few months.

Comment

My experience has been that the manifold to head studs/bolts are no problem to get off. Manifold to downpipe/cat studs are the real pain, but at least can be dealt with on a bench.

Edit: I'm talking about box exhaust, not sure how/if whale exhaust behaves any different.
                              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 12-10-2020, 04:03 PM.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I'm cutting it all off and running full length headers, high-flow cats, and full exhaust. I found in the past that it's worth the effort on a daily driver; especially going from stock manifolds and a single exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                                X