grp 27 vs grp 65 battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    People hate on 'em but I've been running Optima red/yellow tops for years in stuff. Red top in my old Ranger went for 5-6 years before my brother sold it so lost track of it. Ashley's TC and my TC are going on year two with yellow tops. Red top in Firebird went dead after it sat for 2 months. Have charger with boost feature, used that for 5 minutes, cranked over and holds charge still. That battery is about 4 or 5 years old now too, if not older...
    This. Put a red-top in my '98 p71 probably better than 6 years ago and it's still in there. Sold it to a buddy over a year ago and the battery had been in it 5 years or so by that point. At the time they were priced similarly to "normal" batteries and the warranty was better too. Free replacement vs. that pro-rated bullshit is a no-brainer.

Comment

The nEverstart in my 93 is from 2010. So there's that. It hasn't had any issues. I think the Duralast in my 88 is from the same time period... maybe as recent as 2012... can't remember off the top of my head. I'm using a #24 in the beater cause I had to use on of those universal battery trays and J hooks to get it strapped down. That corner of the car is all kids of sad (rust, missing bits, etc).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have never gotten less than seven years from a battery. The Everstart in the 74 is from 04. I adopted it from my dad who got scared of the age.
        I buy Motorcraft batteries when I need new ones. There is a Motorcraft distributor locally that sells everything Motorcraft at jobber prices. Basham Oil in Roanoke.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Don't both of you guys live in warmer climates? That's the real thing, at least as far as my limited experience is concerned. Seems batteries are just fine in things that don't have a parasite somewhere and that are started & driven around say once a week. When temps go below freezing and stay there for awhile is when you've got a test on your hands.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

yup. we typically have to deal with summer killing the batteries instead of winter. Boil-off is real and it really screws up metal when it does. I'm guessing that's what happened to the beater before it got to me. Looks like massive corrosion where the inner fender meets the rad support. It's not pretty in that spot, but it's still holding together... so meh.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              yup. we typically have to deal with summer killing the batteries instead of winter. Boil-off is real and it really screws up metal when it does. I'm guessing that's what happened to the beater before it got to me. Looks like massive corrosion where the inner fender meets the rad support. It's not pretty in that spot, but it's still holding together... so meh.
              Yes, that. Also constantly have to maintain water levels. Also noteworthy with my optima, was that it didn't shitty up the terminals like "normal" batteries have always done to me in Fords.

Comment

Not that I'm an expert, but I'd wager an optima isn't going to have those problems compared to a regulo flooded battery. Whats been your experience with you optima, Mr. Khead?
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

No matter which series battery the big thing is its weight say a 65 series that is lighter than another 65 series. The lighter version of a series the lead is more porous making it lighter than the same series without the porous lead which is much heaver and a longer lasting battery.

I use a battery tender trickle charger while stored originally purchased for my motorcycle and would switch it between my boat , motorcycle , and other stored batteries.
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

did anybody figure out if a group 31 will fit in a box panther? i could just borrow one from either my solar panel setup in the house or my truck but id prefer to not have to disassemble something else just to test fit a battery in the TC..
                    Vehicles I currently own:

86 Mercury Grand Marquis
                    88 Lincoln Town Car
                    85 Ford F250 Diesel
                    83/5/6 Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon (s)
                    81 VW Rabbit Diesel
                    90 Yugo GV+ EFI

Comment

Originally posted by OilBurner View Post
                      did anybody figure out if a group 31 will fit in a box panther? i could just borrow one from either my solar panel setup in the house or my truck but id prefer to not have to disassemble something else just to test fit a battery in the TC..
                      I could check the dimensions of one while I'm at work.

I know Group 65 batteries fit just fine in Boxes, but the OE size according to my parts database is a Group 56 battery, but the Group 26 battery could be used as a substitute.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Wal Mart batteries get you 3 years. I just finally broke the free replacement period on mine, and this is probably battery #4 or 5 since that original purchase. Its 3.5 years old and it doesn't seem to want to hold a charge anymore. The good batteries from Advance or Autozone have gotten me 5 or more the last few I've used.
                        Walmart batteries and the auto parts stores batteries are made by the same company. No difference, There are only 2-3 battery manufacturers in the country as it is. I have seen batteries last 2 weeks to 10+ years. I had a walmart battery last through 4 vehicles. The Wally batery in my 71 wagon has been frozen a couple times, all I do is bring it in thaw it first then charge it. No problems, Never charge or jump start a frozen battery it will destroy it internally.
                        When I get a battery I get the highest cold cranking amps I can get while still fitting in the vehicle. A 27 and a 31 group size is too long for a panther plus the height may cause problems. Of course any battery can be made to fit. A 27 is mostly used on Dodge trucks has been for years. and a 31 is an industrial battery. When the time comes I need a battery. I am going to put in a Orielly super start platinum AGM. Identical to the Optima just doesn't have the 6 pack case design. plus cheaper as you are not paying for the name.

Tim
                        2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                        84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                        85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                        89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                        89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                        1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                        2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Here's my findings based on measurements available from work.
                          Attached Files

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by over2tonsofFun View Post
                            I am going to put in a Orielly super start platinum AGM.
                            I use Sears Platinum AGM's in my 90 Crown Vic, 88 Colony Park, and 72 Ranchero. They have a long life. (Sears now carry the Gold AGM's which have replaced the Platinum AGM's.)

Comment

Just picked up a Duralast Gold - 5 yr warranty $130
                              1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

Working...
                              X